Author Topic: Windows Update and Certain Apps Not working after Hard Drive Upgrade  (Read 6780 times)

Offline trodman

• View Profile
Hi,

I just upgraded the hard drive in my laptop, and the process went smoothly.  However, since then, certain functions and programs are not working.  Windows update does not work (it says the service has not started even though it is), Apple Update does not work, iTunes works, but Apple devices plugged in are not recognized.  Lastly, and Inventory program that I use (Inflow Inventory), which relies on MS SQL Server 2008 R2 will not run or uninstall.  Otherwise, all of my other programs and windows functions work just fine.

I used Acronis True Image WD Edition to do a system backup and restore in order to backup my old drive and restore it to my new WD Drive.

I have been through Microsoft Support for the windows update issue, and everything they tried did not work including ServicesRepair, and their Windows Update Installer.

I have uninstalled Itunes and all of its support programs, and reinstalled them.  Still does not connect to update, or recognize devices.

I manually uninstalled the Inventory program, and tried to reinstall, but it crashes on install.

I have also run ALL of the repairs in the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One) v2.9.0 program.  Nothing seems to help. 

I am running a Fujitsu Lifebook E780 with Win7 Pro SP1 (64bit) , 4GB RAM

Kind of tearing my hair out over this.  I take meticulous care of my system, and really don't want to have to do a full reinstall.  ANY thoughts would be appreciated!  Pictures of the error's attached.

Tom

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Update and Certain Apps Not working after Hard Drive Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:39:12 pm »
I clone old drives to new drives all the time (I use norton ghost) and the only time I have ever had a problem was if there was bad sectors on the old drive or bad sectors on the new drive.

A clone is a copy of the data from one drive to another. So windows should never act any different at all unless some of the data didnt get copied over correctly. Even though the drive is new it would be a good idea to still have windows do a

chkdsk c: /r

It will check the file system and check the drive for bad sectors, the scan could take a few hours. :wink:

Shane

Offline trodman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 01:03:29 pm »
Shane,

Would have done a clone of the drive, but the two drives had a different number of cylinders, so I was not able to do that with the app I had.  I'll try scanning the disk and see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:18:10 pm »
Norton ghost doesnt worry about that. I clone to different size drives all the time, after words I run chkdsk so windows will adjust the file system table for the new size. Some of the free clone software I used wouldnt do it if the drive was different size. Ghost does it differently so it doesnt matter :-)

But if you took a full clone backup you should be able to restore to different size drive as well. Let me know how the chkdsk goes. If the drive has no bad sectors then it is possible the software you used simply didnt copy the data correctly. Or it might be that chkdsk just needs to be ran to update the file system. :wink:

Shane