Author Topic: Win 8.1 Resetting Administrator Account Password  (Read 5736 times)

Offline zz

• View Profile
Win 8.1 Resetting Administrator Account Password
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:28:37 pm »
Things started going wrong when I tried to sign in to Windows App Store. It ask for Microsoft Account password.  Kept saying incorrect password so I changed the password and it said it changed successfully but when I signed out and tried to sign back in with new password it says incorrect password again.  I reset password several times and got same results.   I finally created a new Microsoft Account and was able to sign in.  But then after signing out of Microsoft Acc. and restarting PC I now can't sign in to my computer. Says my Admin. Password is incorrect now. I am locked out of my Administrator Account on PC.

So what do I do? PC originally had Win8 and I undated when Win8.1 came out. 
Would a Refresh work to reset Admin Password or do I have to reinstall windows? 
Will the win8.1 update still be free? 
If I do a Refresh will I loose the win8.1 update and revert to win8?  Will I loose all my apps?   
Anything else that will work? A free Password recover software?

Question about Windows Tweaking Repair? Would it help with this problem? The Tweaking Windows Repair says to remove the battery to do a clean boot.   I wanted to ask if I could just run the battery all the way flat instead of removing it? This laptop has lots of tiny screws to remove the back and more to remove the battery.

Thanks if you can help!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Win 8.1 Resetting Administrator Account Password
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:36:29 pm »
The Windows Repair wouldnt help with this directly since none of the repairs target anything to do with the actual account. The power reset, is different than a clean boot. And most laptops have a simple release to pop out the battery, never seen a laptop that didnt have that.

A refresh might do the trick, but it does normally keep the user account data, BUT if something is corrupted to start with then a refresh should reinstall everything Windows wise and hopefully help. :wink:

Shane

Offline zz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 06:54:16 pm »
The Asus 11" laptop just screws holding the back on.  It does not have option of opening and removing  the battery like a other laptops.  It is a pain. 
First I have to be able to get into windows.  Without a working admin password I am stuck.  So if someone could help me with that I would appreciate it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:58:06 pm »
Ah, asus :-)

What about safe mode? Does the administrator account become available when you go to safe mode?

Shane