Author Topic: Can't/Not allowed to run Kaspersky IS 2014  (Read 11328 times)

Offline SiCo

• View Profile
Can't/Not allowed to run Kaspersky IS 2014
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:54:41 am »
Hi Shane, I ran your program as I was having major grief, principally with  "Ordinal 459 is missing from the urlmon.dll library" (if not exactly those words, some very similar), and a few other things all taking the fun right out of it. In case you haven't guessed this isn't my field so I hope I'm making some sense. So I ran your program and there were major improvements, sadly that ordinal 459 swine persists but my main worry is I can't get my Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 to run. It was all up and away before, but now I suspect Windows is at it again, stopping me from doing what I imagine is a reasonable, non-system threatening sort of act, ie, running my security suite. Originally I couldn't turn on the Windows firewall either but it's on now, but Windows Defender won't play and KIS same deal. I think that describes the issue as best I can so before I  forget I'll give you some of my system info, you don't mention specifics about what you'd like so I'll tell you what I can. It's black, rectangular, and says Toshiba (I'm joking). I think I've attached a folder with what I've just copied from System Info so I think that's all I can give you - any pics of the missus I trust you not to put out on the net. OK, I hope I've given you what you need, I can see you're busy so any help you may be able to offer I'd appreciate. I'm pleased already with the improvements made and I will donate as soon as I'm sure it's safe to do so again. All the best Shane.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Can't/Not allowed to run Kaspersky IS 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:21:20 pm »
Your system could be infected, since you are on windows 7 run combofix.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

It is automated and will take a little while to run but I have had some good luck with it on some stubborn infections. After it is ran and done let me know how things go :wink:

Shane

Offline SiCo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »
Hi Shane, I ran Combofix and it finished a minute ago, I ran Restore as there was something up with my internet connection but it's all good now. I don't really know what to do now so I'll wait to hear from you and try to stay out of trouble in the meantime. Don't know if you were going to want to look at the log.txt file but I took a look at it, despite being fairly certain it wouldn't mean much, it didn't but I don't know where it went afterwards but I'll worry about that if or when you say that you need it. I'll scrub the decks while I await your orders.

Offline SiCo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 05:02:55 am »
Hi Shane, me again. Thought I'd give you a quick update on the state of play here, there's some things I'd not noticed before so I couldn't say how long they've been in the mix. Still can't run KIS 2014 or Defender, Windows Firewall is on though but I guess my security is a bit thin on the ground which isn't slowing my aging process any. A new one for me is I'm being told that things aren't, I forget the exact words used, but along the lines of, real, proper, certified? sys32. So, for example, UTorrent wouldn't open. Not a valid sys32 program? I hope you can get it from that, can't remember more , got a lot going on. My program associations were shot but I sorted that, as always, I think I sorted that. And I still can't run a sfc - get the "........resource protection couldn't perform the operation..." message. Don't know what it all adds up to but clearly it needs attention. The time difference between me here, and you in the US is a pain, plus with the weekend upon us, if you can leave me stuff I can do, or better still get someone else to do, someone more capable, I'd be grateful.  Hope to hear from you in the not too distant.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:06:09 pm »
OK, the next thing to do is make sure we dont have any bad sectors that might be causing the problem.

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator. Then put in
chkdsk c: /r

When you run it, it will say the drive is in use and would you like to schedule it? Hit Y and then enter. Now reboot, before windows comes up chkdsk should start, if it doesnt then try the steps again.

This scan will take a while, it will check the whole drive for any bad sectors and repair anything it finds, if it can. Once done and rebooted go check the event viewer and you will find the results of the chkdsk, post those to me, at the end of the log we want to see "0 KB in bad sectors" anything above 0 means you have bad sectors and the drive needs replaced.

Shane

Offline SiCo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 04:28:41 am »
Good news!! It passed, in as much as it said "0 KB in bad, section?", something like that, but still some strange goings-on down on the farm so I'm keen for your next orders. I haven't got my security level anywhere near what it should be and its been a while now, not being a black-belt PC user doesn't help but I can read  and some of what I do is quite scary. Can't help feeling that Microsoft don't help, not being able to run my security stuff as opposed to theirs is a separate issue from the errors and such, isn't it? Not your problem I know, don't answer that. Enjoy your Sunday Shane, did I read 5 kids!?!? 2 nearly killed me!! No, best thing there is as you must know. I attached the log but I'm never quite sure of myself with things I send, content or passage, so let me know if you get nothing , or what you do get is as much use to you as nothing, and I'll try to fix it. Cheers.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:58:13 am »
Good, no bad sectors. It did find a few small file system problems and corrected them.

I notcied that before the chkdsk that search reported corrupt file data

The Windows Search Service is being stopped because there is a problem with the indexer: The catalog is corrupt.

Context: Windows Application

Details:
   The content index catalog is corrupt.   0xc0041801 (0xc0041801)

But after the chkdsk I didnt see any more about it. I do see errors about .net framework, so i checked and Kaspersky does rely on the .net framework.
http://support.kaspersky.com/10175

So, the only way I have ever found that works on fixing .net is to completely remove it, reboot and then install it fresh. Works every time.

Download and run this tool
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Have it remove every version of .net and when it is finished reboot. you may get some errors at reboot from programs that need .net, you can ignore them for now. Once back up go to windows updates and have it search for updates. It should come up and offer .net, go ahead and do them all and reboot when it is done and see how things go :wink:

Shane

Offline SiCo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:10:49 am »
Shane, I had a feeling I'd screwed up but I was starting to lose my rag so I left it with my Karma. I crunched out a reply and somehow managed to lose it between preview and post, only my usual waffle but it still makes me really angry, but the gist of what I'd been on about was I'm afraid it's over, we can't go on like this Shane, it's not you though it's me. Sure you've had that sort of thing at some point, but seriously I appreciate you're a busy man, and that must be an understatement, but I need to get all this sorted as I've been trying to get it all ironed out now for longer than I care to/can remember and I see how many posts you get so one less to worry about you'll doubtless be glad for. From what I can gather there are enough pc's with problems, not to mention their owners, to keep you guys in the white coats off the streets for as long as you wish. All the best to you, and the family, be well.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:31:51 pm »
Not a problem, did you decide to just do a reinstall of windows instead then?

Shane

Offline SiCo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 06:30:51 pm »
Seeing as you ask Shane, someone suggested that I get a man in to look at it, the veiled insult I missed at the time but It seemed a good idea in the making which then just became, who?  Another someone said they knew a man and around 8 last night this man sat where I usually weave my magic and off he went. Not sure I've mentioned I live in Vietnam, probably not, but we do, and despite immersing ourselves in the culture, and everything else we could think of, the language is and always will be a problem. I thought it was funny because in a way he spoke 2 languages that I don't, I.T. and local, so I was hoping he'd give off a sort of don't you worry sir, leave it all to me vibe but he really didn't. So, in the end at about 10 ish I got a mate to ring the house, the phone's right next to where the lappy sits, and I shamelessly and pointlessly I'd guess, did the old talk to my self thing while he didn't even look at me. I certainly needn't have felt bad as he was out the door as if he was a released hostage, I paid him well but I can't see what he's done. Nothings worse, but it's in no way better that I can see, it looked like he was doing a ping test when I was arranging to meet myself on the phone, one of the few shimmies I know and I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true of him. She said you get what you pay for, which is BS as who's never been sold short before. So as usual Shane, FAR more than you needed to know, I think the question was are you going to do a reinstall? So I could have replied Yeah, probably, but I didn't get to the third world, quite noisy but mostly still standing part of town that my princess and I currently rule over, by giving two word answers, there was a time when I got paid per word. So you can imagine the temptation to waffle on, not really going anywhere and stretching to within a hair's breadth of its very life, any tired and haggard tangent that some tired and haggard hack could thing of. True to prose, and art I never once gave in to that temptation, and if you believe that I really must give you my card. Your line of work is portable I'd imagine, it certainly is global and you don't even have to leave home and your kids can grow up and you get to be around to watch and be a part of. I always thought it laughable to pay nannies to bring your children up, that's my wife's job what's she going to do? Then I thought if she's not going to work then I'm not either, equality has and is in place in our union and anything the kids ever did wrong she couldn't blame me, not fully anyway. I played a big part in the whole thing, any hang-ups, insecurities and the like are at least hereditary, there was a guy who understandably was upset, with himself by rights, that his two kids had Irish accents yet he or they had ever been further west than Bristol. I've met Americans who would have been delighted, but things like that only ever, happen to other people or, don't ever happen at all, because they're made up by people like me. To be sure!!! I'll leave it there as I think I've only upset half the western world, and if I carry on what am               

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 01:26:38 am »
Thinking back, did this just start to happen following September's Windows Updates ?

Uninstalling those as a diagnostic step could be worthwhile and you may not have to uninstall all of them if just one is responsible and you hit on it early on by checking Kaspersky after each uninstall.

The command regsvr32 urlmon.dll run as an admin from the command prompt re-registers Internet Explorer files, but don't know if this would also correct the Ordinal 459 error if that file is missing - Windows tends to share files, but Shane will know more about that.

Offline SiCo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 05:40:32 am »
Hi Boggin, thanks for getting involved, many hands.......  I've never managed to nail down when it all started to go wrong, seems like it was ages ago. I read that sometimes you can associate an error with a particular program, but that would have been too easy and I wouldn't be here talking to you. I seem to remember running the regsvr, or it might not have let me? Like SFC won't run, I'm sure I've seen that command but I assume you wouldn't be saying to try it without good reason so I'll have a go when I'm done here. And lastly Boggin (not gonna lie I'm intrigued as to the origin of your handle) updates are infected with error 80073712, if that doesn't follow.....just had a look at my notes and I do reckon that's the error. I've progressed from writing notes, to writing notes that actually mean something, and recently iced that cake whereas the notes mean something to me!! That error won't let me view updates, and all the control panel stuff 'nearby', turn windows features on and off is there, isn't it? So you've reminded me I've got that to deal with too and that pushes me nearer to a reinstall of some kind. So any advice on reinstall, any answers to what reasonably could I expect to lose if I remove net framework, what goes with it?? Anyone got a spell for that update error??  80073712 to his friends.  Boggin, I'm going to wallow in self pity  and think about how long I've taken to not fix a bleedin thing.One thing I can fix, rather well I've been told by numerous alcoholics, all thinking that by massaging my ego I'll agree to any of their drink orders, which of course I do. Without them, if I had a drink on my own I'd be a .................no...............me?............doesn't make me a bad person though.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 08:25:40 am »
First of all, my username is just something that came to me when I was trying to think of one  :smiley:

Looks like you have a bit of a Catch22 situation with the Windows Update error, as MS's solution to that is to run a sfc /scannow for Win XP - Win 8.1 - in what way did sfc /scannow fail - i.e. error message ? and have you tried to run it in Safe Mode with Command Prompt ?

I'm unable to read your system image as I get the error that it is incompatible for my OS which is Win 7 x64, so I don't know which OS you are using.

There are different methods of restoring Windows so we'll need to know which version so as to give the best advice, but if sfc fails to run in Safe Mode and the system is irreparable, then the reinstall is going to be the only option.

I don't think Startup Repair in the Advanced Recovery options will be able to do anything if the computer boots up fine, but booting up with an install disk may get the sfc to execute, although I have known that once to come back with unable to repair some files.

Once you get this system back up and running, I would strongly advise you to create a full system image to external media which could have rectified this problem in a crack.

You probably wouldn't know which programs would run without .NET Framework until you tried them, but MS have a .NET Framework Repair Tool that you can leave running while you try Windows Updates again, although I'm not confident they are the cause, but try it anyway and let us have the rest of the info/results of suggestions to see how we can go forward http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

This will run in Win XP - Win 7.