Author Topic: No connection to the internet  (Read 12634 times)

Offline Docfxit

• View Profile
No connection to the internet
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:56:16 pm »
I have a very strange problem.  My local area network connection says it's connected.  When I try to open the properties of TCP/IP it won't open.

I have attached the logs for your review.

Thank you for a really great program,

Docfxit

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: No connection to the internet
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:36 am »
Can you post a screen shot of the network properties before you try to open tcp properties so I can see what is listed?

Shane

Offline Docfxit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 06:31:09 pm »
I tried to do an in place update since nothing else was working.  Now when windows starts up it asks for a login, After I type in the password I get an error that says:

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Please try again or consult your system administrator.

I tried to go into safe mode.  It gives me the same error.  I never did use a domain.  I always had it configured with a workgroup.
I tried using last good configuration.  I'm getting the same error.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:49:44 pm »
When you try safe mode are you able to log in as the administrator?

Shane

Offline Docfxit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:36:51 pm »
I can't log in as administrator.  In normal or safe mode.  I can't see how I could possibly get in unless I boot up with a bootable cd/usb.  If I did I wouldn't know what to change on the hard drive.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 11:34:52 am »
Since the system is Windows XP according to the log file you posted, what exactly did you do when you did the upgrade?

Shane

Offline Docfxit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »
Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below 

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
   Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press  R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read  Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.  Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections.  Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

KB 833330u Blaster removal

What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011   
Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates issued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 05:10:11 am »
Hi, docfxit,
                         It was as though some instructions are copied and pasted. What is your actual problem. The internet connection may be not there because some of the malware , as you have suggested like blaster worms.
                           Your copied text is about how to install or repair xp installation disc.The worm message list the presence of some worm and it gave you the instruction not to try to enable the internet, when it asks during the installation. You could skip and after reboot, and after enabling the firewall in the starting process, you could try to connect the internet. Normally , this will be fixed when you disable the auto detect settings, and then type the isp for the following , instead of auto detect. You could get those details from your service provider.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Docfxit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
Hi, docfxit,
                         It was as though some instructions are copied and pasted.

You are correct.  They are copied and pasted.  There was no need for me to write it in my own words since I followed the instructions to the letter.

What is your actual problem.

The actual problem is listed in post #1.

The internet connection may be not there because some of the malware , as you have suggested like blaster worms.

I have not suggested any malware.  I believe the installation was clean.

Your copied text is about how to install or repair xp installation disc.

That is exactly what I did in order to fix the installation.

The worm message list the presence of some worm and it gave you the instruction not to try to enable the internet, when it asks during the installation. You could skip and after reboot,

If you feel that is a worm and that I could skip it, Please let me know how to skip it.  I can't figure out how to skip it.

and after enabling the firewall in the starting process, you could try to connect the internet. Normally , this will be fixed when you disable the auto detect settings, and then type the isp for the following , instead of auto detect. You could get those details from your service provider.

If I could skip it I can handle connecting up to the internet just fine.

Thank you for your reply,

Docfxit

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 01:11:03 am »
Hi, Docfixit,
                           There was a malware named blaster and also KB article by microsoft in your latest post, prior to my post.What is that , is that not a warning you experienced?

Offline Docfxit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 10:05:50 am »
Hi, Docfixit,
                           There was a malware named blaster and also KB article by microsoft in your latest post, prior to my post.What is that , is that not a warning you experienced?

That is a Warning.  "Blaster worm warning:"

Not what I experienced.

Thanks,

Docfxit

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 12:01:46 pm »
Ok so you did the repair install of XP and since then you are unable to log into any account on the system, even the administrator account in safe mode, correct?

Even the administrator account it thinks is on a domain and says it cant reach it? Which could just be a vague error but instead mean something is screwed up with all the accounts on the system.

Never seen a repair install do that before unless something was really really messed up before hand.

Shane

Offline Docfxit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 01:04:48 pm »
I have never seen it either.  I was hoping you would know how to bring up the registry from a bootable CD and remove the network configuration so XP would boot correctly.

I will just re-install XP from scratch.

Thanks for your help,

Docfxit

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 05:09:40 am »
Hi, Copying and pasting some normal warnings in to his post, as reply, made me think that the message of warning from his actual experience.