Author Topic: Check disk freezes, won't run.  (Read 14555 times)

Offline timeto_waste

• View Profile
Check disk freezes, won't run.
« on: April 22, 2012, 09:25:38 am »
Bear with me, I'm not extremely computer literate. I have been having issues with my computer running slow/freezing up (I'm also unable to install Windows 7 SP1, but I'm not sure if that's related) I've been through everything I know to do, and solutions I've found online. I downloaded and ran the Windows Repair All-in-One from this website. I followed all the steps. After running the repair, and restarting my computer, the Check disk screen pops up and it freezes. It does the count down to cancel, and then freezes. After leaving it alone for a while and coming back, it was still frozen, I turned my computer off not knowing what else to do and rebooted it. The screen came up again, but then went to my windows login screen without running the disk check (I did not cancel it) I ran system maintenance, and it showed Disk Volume Errors. I tried to restart again to run disk check, but it just keeps on freezing, or not running at all. Not sure what to do. :(

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Check disk freezes, won't run.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:44:50 am »
Sounds like you may have a bad hard drive bud.

When the chkdsk is scanning a bad sector it can appear to freeze. Of course bad memory can cause this as well.

If we cant get the Windows chkdsk to do the scan perhaps a 3rd party program will do.

A lot of hard drive manufactures have scanning tools for their drives. :wink:

Do you know which hard drive you have?

If you dont pop the side of the case off and take a look, it should say who made it on the sticker that is on the hard drive.

Shane

Offline timeto_waste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:38 pm »
Seagate is the brand.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:23:59 pm »
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatools-win&vgnextoid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Download their "SeaTools"

It should have an option to check the drive for bad sectors. It will take it a while.

Let me know the outcome :wink:

If any bad sectors are found then it is time to replace the drive.

Shane

Offline timeto_waste

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:59:16 pm »
I downloaded Seatools, and it has a list of basic tests to run. Unsure of which one to run, I started with the first which was "Fix All- Fast" and it very quickly came back with a "Fail" with this message.

"Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read.  Seagate recommends that you run SeaTools for DOS, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors.  SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive."

There was also "S.M.A.R.T test" which passed. I'm taking the time to run the "Fix All- Long" which I'm not sure if I should due to the first fail message I got. =\

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:00:52 pm »
caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read

Bad sectors bud. Time to replace the drive :wink:

Get your data backed up asap!

Shane

Offline timeto_waste

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 01:07:09 pm »
While that's unfortunately not the answer I'd want to hear, lol, it could be much worse I suppose. Thank you for your help and swift replies. It is greatly appreciated.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:10:06 pm »
No problem :cheesy:

I am here if you need anything else :wink:

Shane

Offline timeto_waste

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 01:24:04 pm »
One more question. Like I said, I'm pretty computer illiterate. Do I need an external hard drive for the backup? And what exactly is backed up? I have a lot of programs that take a very long time to install, are these things I'm going to lose, or can I somehow back those up as well?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 01:30:31 pm »
Use a external hard drive.

There is multiple ways you can backup. Each one is different.

1. You backup things that cant be replaced, pics, music, personal things like that. Then you put in a new drive and do a fresh reinstall. You have to reinstall everything.

2. You get a new drive, hook it into the system as a 2nd drive and image everything from the bad drive to the new. If all goes well everything will be there. No reinstall.

3. Use a backup image software that will image your whole drive and store it on the external. Then put in a new drive and restore the image. Everything will be there. no reinstall.

The problem with #2 & #3 is the bad sectors. What ever data is on those sectors isnt readable. So you can try the image and hope for the best. No matter what backup your important stuff just in case :wink:

Shane