Author Topic: Windows Repair (v1.7.1) suggestions  (Read 14939 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Windows Repair (v1.7.1) suggestions
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:41:53 AM »
I didn't use WR for a while and haven't visited this forum for a while as well. So, the suggestions/ observations below could already be put forward by other users. I tested the last two versions of WR on a laptop with XP. Haven't tested it on my WIN 7 machine yet. (Microsoft stops support for XP in about one (??) year.)

1. In the WR v1.7.1 GUI there're two progress bars of which the top one is used, to count number of repair jobs. I would suggest to get rid of the second/bottom bar/counter in the next version of WR, since it isn't used anymore. Perhaps you could eliminate both progress bars and simply display the repair job counter only ?

Perhaps you could get rid completely of the repair job counter as well ? But then you - IMO - need to improve the program code of the pane on the left hand side of the GUI where the user can choose which repair jobs are to be performed. Then the GUI needs to correctly highlight the active repair job, the repair job in progress. Which is currently not the case.

It's clear that:
- some repair jobs contain program code that forces the WR GUI to highlight the first ""tickable"" line in the pane.
- some repair jobs contain no code that makes the ""highlight""-bar move to the active repair job line.
- one or two repair jobs contain program code that highlights the proper (active) repair job.
2.  I like the error report file of WR. And this error report is (partially) generated by Windows (XP, Vista, .....) itself. WR uses the error info/text generated by Windows.  Because the language used was partially dutch on my laptop. But the error report file begs - IMO -  the question: why not move/push all (log) info/text generated by ""CMD.exe"" to a file ? (see below).

3.  I also read the change log for v1.7.0 and v1.7.1 and all this has pushed my braincells into action. I came up with the folowing suggestions. Yes, I like the CMD.exe color change, it certainly makes those WR CMD.exe windows stand out.

3a. Perhaps you could eliminate the log info in the program GUI itself and ""push"" all info to a file on the harddisk. Or add two boxes that allow the user to choose whether he wants the log info in a file or displayed in the GUI. Or perhaps both (both in the program GUI and in a file).

3b. move the (error-)logfile to the directory where the program (WR) is installed.

3c. I noticed that you redirect all text/messages generated by ""CMD.exe"" to a file on harddisk. But you also (according to the change logs) delete those files after WR has finished that particular repair job. Perhaps you can retain all files generated by a WR run ?  But then WR - IMO - should overwrite those files as soon as WR is run again. That would limit the amount of files that's generated. I think it would also allow me to test the behaviour of ""CMD.exe"" when it executes those MSDOS commands. Perhaps one or two MSDOS commands (e.g. ""netsh ....... "") still generate (an) error(s) ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:28:03 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Windows Repair (v1.7.1) suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
1. In the WR v1.7.1 GUI there're two progress bars of which the top one is used, to count number of repair jobs. I would suggest to get rid of the second/bottom bar/counter in the next version of WR, since it isn't used anymore. Perhaps you could eliminate both progress bars and simply display the repair job counter only ?

The 2nd bar use to be used to show when files are being registered. But since I changed those to be done in cmd.exe that progress bar needs to go :wink:
I will still keep the top bar for the counter though. Some people just like seeing a progress of the repairs.

I also custom made the list control and I need to find out why it keeps going all over the place when I tell it to highlight as it goes down the repairs.

2.  I like the error report file of WR. And this error report is (partially) generated by Windows (XP, Vista, .....) itself. WR uses the error info/text generated by Windows.  Because the language used was partially dutch on my laptop. But the error report file begs - IMO -  the question: why not move/push all (log) info/text generated by ""CMD.exe"" to a file ? (see below).

Main reason is because the log file would become huge! So instead I opted for only the errors to be pushed :wink:

3a. Perhaps you could eliminate the log info in the program GUI itself and ""push"" all info to a file on the harddisk. Or add two boxes that allow the user to choose whether he wants the log info in a file or displayed in the GUI. Or perhaps both (both in the program GUI and in a file).

I added the error logs rather quick per some users requests. I am planning on adding more options bilt into the program for the log file locations :wink:

3b. move the (error-)logfile to the directory where the program (WR) is installed.

I didn't do that because a lot of repair shops use this program now, and a lot of them run it across the network through a script.
Better to have the log file on the machine itself :wink:

3c. I noticed that you redirect all text/messages generated by ""CMD.exe"" to a file on harddisk. But you also (according to the change logs) delete those files after WR has finished that particular repair job.

A lot of log files get made, some of them are empty. The program simply gets rid of the empty ones :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
Some more things I came across in WR v1.7.1:
1. WR creates two separate error logs. One in the C:\ folder called ""Windows_repair_log.txt"" (without an underscore in front of ""Windows"") and one in the ""C:\tweaking.com_window_repair_logs"" folder with the same name but WITH an underscore in front of ""Windows"".

Info from the log pane in WR is always written to the log file in the "C:\tweaking.com_Windo......."" folder. But error info is written to that log file up to (and including ??) ""Unhide Non Sytem files"". EVERY next repair job writes error info to the error log file in the C:\ directory.

2. The GUI can behave (somewhat) weird. When WR is running several times a CMD.exe window is opened and that window can overlap the main WR window. But when the CMD.exe window overlaps the highlighted repair job and the CMD.exe is closed then the highlighted bar is moved back to the first ticked/selected repair job in stead of highlighting the current/last active repair job.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
1. WR creates two separate error logs. One in the C:\ folder called ""Windows_repair_log.txt"" (without an underscore in front of ""Windows"") and one in the ""C:\tweaking.com_window_repair_logs"" folder with the same name but WITH an underscore in front of ""Windows"".

I double checked the code and the log file shouldn't be on the C:\
What is the date modified on it?

There will be a "repairs_running.dat" on the C: drive. Each repair makes this file and when the repair is done it deletes it. This is how the program knows to move onto the next repair :wink:

2. The GUI can behave (somewhat) weird. When WR is running several times a CMD.exe window is opened and that window can overlap the main WR window. But when the CMD.exe window overlaps the highlighted repair job and the CMD.exe is closed then the highlighted bar is moved back to the first ticked/selected repair job in stead of highlighting the current/last active repair job.

Yeah my custom list does act strange. It has something to do with the mouse over effect. I need to look into it more.

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
The last time I started(!!!) WR with all boxes ticked was on april 25, 2012, at about 20:40. The date (modified)of ""C:\Windows_repair_log.txt"" is ""4-25-2012, 20:58"". And the datestamp (modified)of  ""C:\tweaking.com_Windowsrepair_logs\_Windows_repair_log.txt"" was ""4-25-2012, 20:59"". See the content of the *.zip file in the attachment as well.  You should also include/read the second paragraph in my previous post.

The error info is predominantly in dutch. In spite of that I hope it's useful. At least you can see what WR is doing with regard to the log files.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:34:15 AM »
Yeah I read the 2nd paragraph :-)

There is a strange bug in the program. I am going to tear into it tomorrow and get an update ready.

1. I checked all the code and found not info pointing to the C:\ drive. But I think I know where the bug is for it and the one spot I didnt check.

2. I just did another test. When I test I normally run all the repairs. When running the first reg permission repairs it makes the folder and the log file. But this time I undid that to test something. And because the folder wasnt there (I deleted it) none of the other repairs worked correctly. the cmd.exe just skipped them all since it couldnt find the log file.

So I need to get a fix out right away and have it make the log file right away.

Almost 1 am for me. Wont take me long to get it fixed :-)

Shane
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:01:17 AM by Shane »

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:55:52 AM »
2. I just did another test. When I test I normally run all the repairs. When running the first reg permission repairs it makes the folder and the log file. But this time I undid that to test something. And because the folder wasnt there (I deleted it) none of the other repairs worked correctly. the cmd.exe just skipped them all since it couldnt find the log file.

Ah, This is what I get for being tired lol Every time you start the program it makes the folder. I deleted the folder after I opened it. So not a bad bug after all.
I will however make it check if the folder is there before each repair just in case.

Also i found where the commands where pointing to the log on the C: drive and will have that fixed by Sundays update as well.

As always good catch. Your one of my best testers :artist:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 05:07:21 AM »
Yes, the bug is in the temporary ""temp***.bat"" files you create to perform a number of MSDOS commands. And it shows up in the CMD.exe windows when one pays very good attention to what CMD.exe is up to.

Thanks. I couldn't do it without Piriform's Defraggler. I have become a bit of a defragging freak. And a lot of/a number of files aren't stored contiguously on disk when created. E.g. the temporary internet files (IE 8) and then they show up in Defraggler. And that's where where the existence of a lot of (interesting) files come to light. And that happened with these two log files as well. Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed at all. I use Defraggler as well to extract *.FLV and other video files from the temporary internet files folder.

Before you put out the new version on sunday, you should also look at the program code that controls the highlighting of an active repair job. With the last (at least) 7 (perhaps 8 or 9 (???)) repair jobs WR highlights the previous (!!!) repair job. So, e.g. when WR is busy with ""Repair Windows Updates"" then WR highlights ""Unhide Non System Files"". Perhaps the highlighting of other jobs is also "'out of sync"" ??

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »
Before you put out the new version on sunday, you should also look at the program code that controls the highlighting of an active repair job. With the last (at least) 7 (perhaps 8 or 9 (???)) repair jobs WR highlights the previous (!!!) repair job. So, e.g. when WR is busy with ""Repair Windows Updates"" then WR highlights ""Unhide Non System Files"". Perhaps the highlighting of other jobs is also "'out of sync"" ??

Yeah I know why it is doing that now. I am thinking about dumping this custom list box I made and going to think of a better why to have this all displayed. :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
OK bud going to use your testing skills again :-)

I changed the interface and other things today. here is v1.7.2

Test it out and if you find anything to change before Sunday let me know :-)

Hope you like the changes. :wink:

Extract all the files and put them in the windows repair program folder, overwriting the old ones.

Here is the change log:
v1.7.2
Small bug fixes to the log creation of the program.
I have removed the 3 options "Basic" "Advanced" and "Custom" before you start the repairs. Nearly all users that I have talk to, and myself included always choose custom anyways. No need for these other options and they have been removed. Should cut down on the confusion for new users on which to use.
New interface changes to the repair window in the program.
Code improvements.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 02:11:17 AM »
Oooops. New version already available !!!  Didn't expect this to happen so soon. Because I wanted to suggest to simply get rid of ALL ""highlight repair job""-feature program code. It would make the programming life for the author much simpler, right ? The old K.I.S.S. principle. After all, it's only a repair tool and currently the log pane provides enough info for the user (which repair job is active). And I think then the programming of the combo box with the repair jobs would become less complicated.

Another suggestion was that perhaps you could make that the main WR repair window stays on top of the desktop even when WR opens one or more CMD.exe windows. I am not sure whether you would like it or not. Whether other users would find it less confusing. Perhaps some users are curious/interested in  what MSDOS commands are executed ?

O.K. I'll see what the new version looks like and behaves.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:38:04 AM »
Just some random thoughts that popped up. Just a quick update.
1. I like the new tabs (log & repair info)
2. Add a roll-down menu at the top of the main window (e.g. ""Options""). That would allow you introduce more options for e.g. the amount of info that's provided in the logs. That would also allow the program to be run in ""Safe mode"" (size of window). And the main window wouldn't be overburdened with a maze of options.
3. Is it possible to make the main window to always stay on top ? Even if WR forces CMD.exe to open one or more windows ? Add an option in the roll-down menu that controls that ""stayong on top"". If the main WR would stay on top then the highlight feature always would point to the active repair job. Otherwise the user prefers to have a glance at what the CMD.exe windows are doing and doesn't care whether the highlight feature works perfect or not.

4. I know you have improved the highlight feature. But since there's a log that shows which repair job is active you could also get rid of the entire highlight feature.
Just make up your mind which (of the conflicting) suggestions right above you like and don't like.

Need to do more testing. Haven't got too much time right now. To be continued.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
1. I like the new tabs (log & repair info)

Good :-) I did this so the repair info text box could be bigger without increasing the size of the window.

3. Is it possible to make the main window to always stay on top ? Even if WR forces CMD.exe to open one or more windows ? Add an option in the roll-down menu that controls that ""stayong on top"". If the main WR would stay on top then the highlight feature always would point to the active repair job. Otherwise the user prefers to have a glance at what the CMD.exe windows are doing and doesn't care whether the highlight feature works perfect or not.

On top feature isnt a bad idea as long as I give the user the option of having it on or off.

4. I know you have improved the highlight feature. But since there's a log that shows which repair job is active you could also get rid of the entire highlight feature.
Just make up your mind which (of the conflicting) suggestions right above you like and don't like.

The part that was messing up before was the mouse over code. When you mouse over an item it highlights. This had a problem when a window opened over it. The custom list was a pain so I dumped it. You will now see it is a 1 column list view now. This also now gives scroll bars on the right and bottom when I need them. So if an item has a lot of text (Possible future repairs)

The mouse over effect is gone. You have to click on the one you want the info for. The program does highlight them as it goes through the repairs. Also you can leave the repair info tab selected and each repair info will show as the repair is running. :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »
Now I had some more time and ran WR and looked how the (error) log(s) behaved and now only one log was generated, in the appropriate folder. Perhaps something will pop up later but (for now) I would say: Thumbs up.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
Adding an "Always On Top" check box to the repair window, will have a new exe for you here in 10 min :-)

Shane

(About Shane)