Author Topic: Screen of Death - Solved  (Read 5451 times)

Offline SandyG

• View Profile
Screen of Death - Solved
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:09:49 am »
Wow, a friend accidentally turned their computer off while they were running some windows diagnostics.  I have attached the screen shot they get when they turn the computer on.  Nothing will get them out of this screen.  I had them try booting from their diagnostics CD and they got the same screen.  I had them try booting from the recovery disc and they got the same screen.  I had them try pressing F8 while bootin and they got the same screen.  Cannot get out of this screen to try and diagnostics or fix anything.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I have never seen this screen, and never seen where you couldn't boot into the recovery disc.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:00:52 am by SandyG »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Screen of Death
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:42:39 am »
0x00000024 has to do with an error in the file system. And nearly every time I have seen this on a customers computer it turned out to be a bad hard drive that had bad sectors and one of the system files landed on a bad sector.

You can try downloading ubuntu and running it off the cd or a usb drive and see if it can do a scan on the drives, there are also other 3rd party boot cds you can use. But there is a good chance it is a bad drive, your best bet is to first put the drive in another system and get any files off of there that you need in case the drive gets worse.

Shane