Author Topic: All desktop icons have a (2) after recovery from SMART_HDD  (Read 7986 times)

Offline beachcomber

• View Profile
Hi.  I used your Windows Repair v1.7.1. utility to recover from SMART_HDD.  Thank you for making your utility available to the general public... It made the recovery process much less painful than it might have been.  I do have a question about the shortcut icons that the utility placed on the desktop.  They all now have a (2) after their names.  Do you know how to correct this issue?  It's not a big deal... but it does bother me a little!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: All desktop icons have a (2) after recovery from SMART_HDD
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:56 pm »
A (2)?

Windows does that when it makes a shortcut that already has the same name. How ever my repair wouldnt have done that. I wonder if the smart_hdd did.

You can simply rename the shortcuts to get rid of the (2) :wink:

Shane

Offline beachcomber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:56:33 am »
Thank You.  The icons with a (2) were actually on the Task Bar.  I corrected the problem by navigating to the C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar subdirectory and deleting the duplicate entries.  Curiously, Calculator and Windows Explorer were not showing up on the Task Bar with a (2), but were still listed in the above subdirectory more than once.  Anyway, I have recovered from the SMART_HDD infection thanks to your utility.  The world needs more "White Hats" like you.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:17 am »
Thanks, :cheesy: and I am glad you got everything working :wink:

Shane