Author Topic: Driver Update  (Read 7800 times)

Offline darnoldll

• View Profile
Driver Update
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:21:15 am »
I purchased Driver Update from Slimware,  When I start driver update, Kaspersky gives me an error stating suspicious program, similar to malware.  Talked to company and was told "no problem" essentially just allow the program to continue.  I am doubtful that is the correct answer.   Any thoughts?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Update
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:53:45 am »
I occasionally run the free version of Slimdrivers (don't pay for anything unless I have to) to check for any out of date drivers and found that it used to include adware called Konrad or Korad something or other.

A Google on it produced that in itself it wasn't harmful but could be exploited as a backdoor, so I always uninstalled it when done as I always downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer's sites because while it said it had updated, Device Manager was still showing as the older version.

This Konrad/Korad# may be what Kaspersky is finding or did you forget to uncheck the box for MyPCBackup ?

Run AdwCleaner to see what that finds http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

This is a tool specifically designed for getting rid of adware/toolbars.

Click on Scan and uncheck any item it lists in the lower box when it has completed, else click on Report and it will show you what it will delete.

Close the report then click on Clean if it has found anything then run Slimdrivers again to see if Kaspersky still doesn't like it.

I've downloaded Slimdrivers and ran a scan with both SuperAntiSpyware and AdWcleaner and neither found any PuPs/adware related to Slimdrivers - but I unchecked the box for MyPCBackup before downloading.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:56:26 am by Boggin »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 01:27:59 pm »
hi all

In addition to what Boggin said , you must scan your computer for malware with malwarebytes

malwarebytes Team they will be adding this detected back https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/159984-pup-not-detected-by-mbam-my-pc-backup/?hl=

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:11:32 pm »
False positives happen all the time, every single time I update any of my programs I have to deal with the AVs that will flag it, then send it to them so they will remove the false positive. Pain in the butt lol

So the best thing to do is to look up reviews on the program it self and such and find out if they are a good site and program, if so then it is most likely a false positive :wink:

Shane

Offline shawie60

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:39:37 pm »
Hi Ive been using a free item called driverpack solutions (http://drp.su/download.htm) for a couple of years now and its helped no end of times. Don't get me wrong its not infallible (follow the usual guidelines and make a restore point etc) and if your not careful it will try to install extra programs along side ( you get the choice of just drivers and drivers/software). On a plus side its free and 9/10 finds the most obscure drivers. I've also never had a problem regarding virus (I have ESET on my system)
Failing that you can do it the long way around and use the PCI database (http://www.pcidatabase.com)
hope that helps
glenn