Author Topic: Turn Windows features On or Off on Windows 7  (Read 12822 times)

Offline Marek

• View Profile
Turn Windows features On or Off on Windows 7
« on: November 16, 2014, 01:57:15 am »
Hello:
What happened after last Windows Updates? One important update called Security for Microsoft NET Framework 4.5 and 4.5.1 Server 2008 R2 cannot be installed. After that what I noticed in my computer?
1Turn Windows feature On or Off does not work (blank window)
2..Googke Chrome browser cannot be upgated
3.No Inbox in Windows Live Mail
4.Task Scheduler error: Selected item (0)
no longer exists
Probably othwrs which I have not observed so far.
Maybe you have solution for it then please help me. Thank you in advance
I would like to mention that neither System Restore and your magic program did not fix this problem.
Marek

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Turn Windows features On or Off on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 03:10:11 am »
It would help if you could post the WU fail error code for that update but download and leave running the .NET Framework Repair Tool while you try that update again.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30135

If it hasn't represented itself in WU then you could try the direct download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44686 or just use the direct download anyway.

Offline Marek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 10:44:25 am »
Hi Boggin:
Here are detauls from Event Log
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date:          11/15/2014 5:16:31 PM
Event ID:      20
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Failure,Installation
User:          SYSTEM

Description:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070002: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB2978128).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}" />
    <EventID>20</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>1</Task>
    <Opcode>13</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-11-15T16:16:31.961006500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1686480</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="900" ThreadID="3452" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="errorCode">0x80070002</Data>
    <Data Name="updateTitle">Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB2978128)</Data>
    <Data Name="updateGuid">{E257D135-40B9-4361-9E7D-8537D256D54B}</Data>
    <Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">202</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Moreover I tried your suggestio:
1.NET Framework Repair Tool - webpage unavailable
2 NET Framewwork Installation - crashed
Thank you for now
Marek

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 02:54:46 pm »
That's strange as that page opens straight away for me, although MS are having some Server problems and a number of their links tend to hang awhile or give an Error 503 and they seemed to have pulled some of their help pages.

MS Fixit to download the Windows Update Agent is one of the latter.

I'm not sure what you mean by your No.2 in your last post.

Open a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd.exe - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator and at the command prompt enter netsh winsock reset catalog followed by exit then reboot and try the .NET Framework Repair Tool link again.

This is what MS give for Windows Update Agent Event ID 20 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc735642(v=ws.10).aspx

As their fixit to reset the WU Components is also no longer available, you can also run these batch files to see if they resolve. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html

As an additional measure, open IE - Tools - Internet options - Advanced - scroll down to Security and uncheck any Use SSL boxes and ensure the boxes for Use TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are checked.

Ah - found a link for the System Update Readiness Tool - click on the version applicable to your OS http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool and let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 03:04:32 pm by Boggin »

Offline Marek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:33:13 am »
I still cannot access the given links (from Microsoft only) They probably do not like me  :smiley:What I have done? I have downloaded on the other computer and was installing to this one. NET Framework Repair Tool installation crashed with information "Windows Installer failed" since System Update Readiness Tool was installing above 1 hour and at last successfully. I do not know why it took about 25 GB on disk Moreover I have done all your suggestions and still the same. Maybe something wrong with Windows Installer?
Marek   

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:16:28 am »
I'm in the process of downloading the System Update Readiness Tool now to see what size it is and it started off with a download time of 12.5 mins so it will be a substantial file, but not as big as the 25GB you have experienced as it would take a lot longer than that to download a file that big on here.

The Installation instructions say for it to be installed on the affected computer if selecting Save - so it isn't one these type Fixits that is designed to transfer to another computer and you'd need an external disk to copy and save a file that size across to another computer.

Can you go Start - type services.msc and press enter - scroll down to Windows Installer and ensure that it is set to Manual then scroll back up to ensure Remote Procedure (The RPCSS) is showing as Automatic and Started.

Windows would start Windows Installer when needed but you can click on it then on Start in the top left pane to see if it will start.

I'm not sure if a sfc /scannow run from the command prompt as an administrator would be able to do anything with this but you could give it a try and let us know what it reports.

I've just checked the size of that file in Downloads and it's only showing as 551.509KB which is only about half a GB so don't know where the 25GB came from.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:18:53 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:26:43 am »
Depending upon what sfc /scannow reports, create a restore point then in an admin command prompt copy and paste these -

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

With a space in between each command they will all run auto but if any seem to be hanging, just press enter - but give each time to execute to produce its response.

It may report that it cannot find the Catroot2 or the SoftwareDistribution folders but that will be because those batch files you have run will have already renamed them.

Let us know if all of the rest of the commands execute successfully then go back to Windows Updates and do a manual check for updates as you may be prompted.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:37:39 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 02:50:26 pm »
Sounds like .net is screwed and the MS .net repair tool has never worked for me. The only way I have ever gotten .net to work again is by completely removing it from the system, rebooting and then installing it fresh. So far it has worked every time.

First thing to do is to use the .net removal tool
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Then once it removes every version of .net, reboot and go to Windows updates, there you should see the option to install .net again. Install ti and reboot if it asks you, you will have to do this multiple times until windows updates says there is no more updates. See how that does for you :wink:

Shane

Offline Marek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 05:19:41 am »
Yesterday I did the System Restore again to point 12-11-2014. It last about 2 hours. At last I obtained as follows:
1Turn Windows feature on or off - successful
2.Windows Update properly runs
3.WL Mail has all features Inbox therein
4.WL Messenger runs perfectly
5,Task Scheduler still unavailable
What happened today morning?
WL Mail has not inbox again, WL Messenger cannot signs in due to unavailable server
What was strange issues?
Before system restore hard disk had 390 GB free space after system restore exactly today 480 GB free space. :wink:
Due to p,1 is successful this topic post can be recognized as solved but the rest problems I will represent in the separate sectors uf our forum.
Best regards
Marek

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:00:26 am »
Normally when selecting a restore point it's best to select Scan for affected programs, but restoring back to that date will have lost that 25GB the Update Readiness Tool dropped on you.