Author Topic: bad internet connection - need help  (Read 19882 times)

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
bad internet connection - need help
« on: November 21, 2014, 07:07:52 pm »
I am suffering for months from the low internet connection speed, where I did not find the cause of slow internet I have! So I do not know how to bring my real Internet connection speed back ?

i just find this http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php so what you think ?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: bad internet connection - need help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 03:21:39 am »
Check your router stats first.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 06:23:00 am »
There can be a number of reasons for this, however - you haven't said if you are using ADSL or Fibre.

Do you get the same slow speeds when wired to the router as you do when connecting wirelessly or when directly wired into the modem if separate to router ?

If this is the case then reporting slow speeds to you ISP could identify a line fault.

Old routers can also be responsible for reduced speeds.

As Samson has suggested, check your router stats as a constantly low SNR Margin will reduce your speed.

This can either be because of a line fault or you are on a well populated channel which you can change with the help of inSSIDer3.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Has anything changed in your set up such as moving a cordless phone base nearer the router, additional electrical equipment, change of furniture or positioning etc.

Power cycling the router and checking for firmware updates for the router can also help.

Malware can also cause speed slow downs so run a scan with something like the free version of MBAM https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 06:00:10 pm »
There can be a number of reasons for this, however - you haven't said if you are using ADSL or Fibre.

i think I’m on ADSL

Do you get the same slow speeds when wired to the router as you do when connecting wirelessly or when directly wired into the modem if separate to router ?

yes i get the same bad internet connectivity for both Wireless and wired and my internet speed goes down Every few months

If this is the case then reporting slow speeds to you ISP could identify a line fault.

My ISP They even do not respond to us? But all they do give us a lot of silly excuses! We paid a lot of money to them for their poor services .

They are a group of thieves and fools and bandits who steal people's money so they do not know even speak Arabic language.

Old routers can also be responsible for reduced speeds.

As Samson has suggested, check your router stats as a constantly low SNR Margin will reduce your speed.

This can either be because of a line fault or you are on a well populated channel which you can change with the help of inSSIDer3.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

my router wasn't even listed on that site as Samson give my a link  Because the modem/router is a strange kind of, it supports the Arabic language and foreign websites that are there do not know about this stupid a*s French/k.s.a router i think and I'm not an expert enough with modem/router but i need to Learning about it !

Has anything changed in your set up such as moving a cordless phone base nearer the router, additional electrical equipment, change of furniture or positioning etc.

i don’t know here but i will check that and i will back here to you all

Power cycling the router and checking for firmware updates for the router can also help.

this stupid a*s French/k.s.a router haven't no option for online-firmware updates-check ! but it have an Manual option for browse and to upload a firmware file

Malware can also cause speed slow downs so run a scan with something like the free version of MBAM https://www.malwarebytes.org/

i already have scanned my pc yesterday with Multi-virus & malware scanner for malware program and all okay my pc is clean 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:06:14 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 06:01:23 pm »

i check this site and my router name isn’t listed there !

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 01:36:58 am »
Did you initially have to log into the router to enter your broadband username and password ?

Opening a command prompt and entering ipconfig /all will display the Default Gateway which is the router's log in URL address.

Can you post the make and model of the router and then we can have a Google to see if anyone has posted user instructions.

It doesn't matter what language a Google link is in as we can use Translate with Bing.

If you are free to do so and you have alternative broadband suppliers, I would suggest that you Google to see if they have a forum and check out their most common complaints to determine that you're not going to be going from bad to worse.

Normally threatening to leave a supplier can sometimes motivate them to take some remedial action.

Did you try inSSIDer3 to see if you could change to another channel ?

While this could help with a WiFi connection, it won't do much if what you have coming down the line is poor.

When you wire up do you disconnect from the SSID so that you are just Ethernet connected as wiring up and having WiFi enabled as well wouldn't determine if Ethernet is any better.

With ADSL your connection quality and speed are determined by the length and quality of cable between you and the exchange.

As a rough guide, in the router stats look for the Downstream Attenuation and divide that by 13.81 and that will give the answer as kms.

To power cycle a router you switch it and your computer off as well as disconnecting all cables.

After it has sat like that for a couple of minutes, connect all of the cables and just switch on the modem if separate to the router.

Wait until all of the lights are back on and solid then do the same for the router and then switch the computer back on.

You can check your speed at www.speedtest.net and doing this before and after the power cycle will show if there has been any improvement, but I suspect your problems are due to either your ISP's equipment at the exchange or the quality of the cable between you and the exchange if your Downstream Attenuation isn't over 60dBM.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 04:21:57 am »

What is the make and model No of your router?

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 03:23:52 pm »
Did you initially have to log into the router to enter your broadband username and password ?

yes i have all that

Opening a command prompt and entering ipconfig /all will display the Default Gateway which is the router's log in URL address.

i just check this and here a screenshots

Can you post the make and model of the router and then we can have a Google to see if anyone has posted user instructions.

i have already googling and there a few topic about this stupid router but all members there’s they saying this router is the worst one and they also saying this router have no website to get a support or at least to get a firmware image file from there website if there a website lol !

Designed for STC

Afaq DSL Shamel -Model 006

manufactured by Sagemcom France

made in China

It doesn't matter what language a Google link is in as we can use Translate with Bing.

yes that’s fine we can do that

If you are free to do so and you have alternative broadband suppliers, I would suggest that you Google to see if they have a forum and check out their most common complaints to determine that you're not going to be going from bad to worse.

my alternative broadband suppliers i think is over! and i will do other Googles check to find any Related forum but anyway i think I’m going down anyway lol! and all websites is blocked !  :artist: :tongue:

Normally threatening to leave a supplier can sometimes motivate them to take some remedial action.

That's what we do ! If they simply ignore us then we're going to kick the fat a*S over there lol

Did you try inSSIDer3 to see if you could change to another channel ?

how i did that ?

While this could help with a WiFi connection, it won't do much if what you have coming down the line is poor.
To power cycle a router you switch it and your computer off as well as disconnecting all cables.

i will this Later today or so !

After it has sat like that for a couple of minutes, connect all of the cables and just switch on the modem if separate to the router.

Wait until all of the lights are back on and solid then do the same for the router and then switch the computer back on.

You can check your speed at www.speedtest.net and doing this before and after the power cycle will show if there has been any improvement, but I suspect your problems are due to either your ISP's equipment at the exchange or the quality of the cable between you and the exchange if your Downstream Attenuation isn't over 60dBM.

that’s what i do too for all day and i had to doing a router reset everyday Because of slow d-down Internet lag 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:33:51 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 03:25:10 pm »

What is the make and model No of your router?

here you go my router info

Designed for STC

Afaq DSL Shamel -Model 006

manufactured by Sagemcom France

made in China

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 03:51:37 pm »
Put 192.168.1.1 into your browser address bar then hit "enter".

This should get you into the router's web interface. Unless you have changed them, the "Username" should be "admin" (without the "s) and the "Password" should be "admin" (again unless you have changed it, and again no"s). You should now be logged in and should be able to find your router/ line stats in there. This will give an idea of your line quality, what speeds you should expect to get and what you are getting.

Edit this is the default username and password for most Sagem routers, hopefully will work on your model  :wink:

PS those figures that you posted for your speed test are n't too bad, what speed did your ISP SAUDINET say you'd get?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:56:41 pm by Samson »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 04:52:15 pm »
Put 192.168.1.1 into your browser address bar then hit "enter".

This should get you into the router's web interface. Unless you have changed them, the "Username" should be "admin" (without the "s) and the "Password" should be "admin" (again unless you have changed it, and again no"s). You should now be logged in and should be able to find your router/ line stats in there. This will give an idea of your line quality, what speeds you should expect to get and what you are getting.

yes i know about that and how to access router page but the problem is why me internet connection Becomes very slow every few hours, and this why I do reset of router every few hours or everyday ! so we can’t even to go and playing a PS3 Because the bad Internet connection will got discontinuity/interruption every few hours ! and all people who have this stupid router they/We are still complaining and complaining of it

i was having a speedtuch router and this is a very good router and never have a problem like this stupid Afaq router and there a few topic in some Arabic forum about Afaq router and all they have the same problem i have to reporting here with 2 model of this router ! :rolleyes: see my screenshot may help us !

Edit this is the default username and password for most Sagem routers, hopefully will work on your model  :wink:

yes true and it work for my router  :wink: :cheesy:

PS those figures that you posted for your speed test are n't too bad, what speed did your ISP SAUDINET say you'd get?

then why i keep got discontinuity/interruption every few hours ? and they say that i have 4 GB speed but all they Liars and everyone’s who have this stupid router they said we have 4 GB speed or more then 4 GB speed but we never got a full internet speeds !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:22:33 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »
Just for reference, the easiest way to post the output of a command window is to right click in the text area, click on Select all then press enter.

You can post this by placing the cursor in the reply box then right click and select Paste.

You can also do this to put it in a Notepad or Wordpad doc if you want to print it out for future ref.

When you download and boot up inSSIDer3 click on Networks and it will show your SSID as well as any others you are picking up and the channels each router is broadcasting on.

Your Signal strength should be around the 50 mark or less, but if you are channel sharing with other users who have a signal strength within 20 of yours or are less than yours (forget about the minus value) then they will interfere with your WiFi connection.

Mine varies between -48dBm and -52dBM and while I can channel share or be overlapped by other users, none are usually less than 70 so I don't normally have any problems - although occasionally it can spike downwards and "hit" one of the other users but very rarely do I experience disconnects.

You will need to log into the router and navigate to the Wireless settings (probably) to change the channel, usually by means of a dropdown.

Routers can be default set to Auto, 1 or 6 but using the Link Score in inSSIDer3 to give the best channel will help to avoid disconnects if they are the cause.

While this speed estimator is for the UK, take the figure for ADSL2+ as a guide. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Enter your Downstream Attenuation then hit Calculate.

Using the side menu in the article can give you some useful info, so is worth a read.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »

then why i keep got discontinuity/interruption every few hours ? and they say that i have 4 GB speed but all they Liars and everyone’s who have this stupid router they said we have 4 GB speed or more then 4 GB speed but we never got a full internet speeds !

Is 4GB even possible?

Maybe your ISP uses traffic management/ throttling?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:12:08 pm by Samson »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »
good info Boggin  :smiley: and here the cmd text log and my wireless network is open for a long times period and there is no password protection for wireless network! Another thing which I heard that router may become infected with malware? Is this correct ? Although it was the first time I heard that router can be infected with malware ?  :thinking:

have PM you with pass ;  )

Edit : i don’t know how to PM you in this forum !  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:35:35 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »

Is 4GB even possible?

Maybe your ISP uses traffic management/ throttling?

no , 4GB is not possible , 4GB is possible only as note on Paper which Making them the stolen us our money so i got 1 GB/2 GB only  My subscription is 4 GB and but never got this 4 GB net speed  everything is forbidden in Saudi Arabia all my people have the same problem !

As is the case with the rest of the robbers either give me fifty percent, or do not get Nothing!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:31:52 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 10:03:10 pm »
Hi, Gamez
                  I do not think that 4g b speed is possible as samson points. You could take the modem to your service provider to check this.  They will simply check and if the speed is incorrect, will assign you some other user and passwords after changing the correct speed. 4 g b per second, is it possible boggins , and shane?
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 02:13:49 am »
I'm a bit confused about this question of 4GB - you wouldn't normally get those sort of speeds on ADSL (at least not in the UK) - they are VDSL (Fibre) speeds.

It's quite possible your router could have become infected as WPA is quite an old encryption and is easily cracked, even when enabled.

Depending upon your devices, I would suggest you change that to Mixed WPA2/WPA-PSK and Enable it, but I think this would require a router password to be entered to connect to the SSID.

This would normally be on the router.

For the Network Authentication, you would need to contact your ISP as I don't know if changing the WEP encryption to Enabled would conflict with that - my ISP uses CHAP Network Authentication and the router's SSIDs are password protected.

BTW - no sign of any PM.

With an Open connection, anyone could come along and leech off your connection which could max out your bandwidth and cause disconnections.

This is similar to when you have multiple users in a household all streaming and gaming.

You can check if any strangers have been using your connection if your router has a DHCP Table or something similar where it lists the Mac addresses such as when a mobile phone connects.

Computers and the like have their own usernames and if any are listed that you don't recognize, then that will be a sign that someone has been stealing your bandwidth.

Your Upload speed seems unusually low and maxing this out can also affect the download speeds when gaming to the point of causing a disconnect.

It seems to me that you just have a crap ISP and the sooner you change - the better.

Are any of these able to provide you with a better and secure service http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_service_providers_in_Saudi_Arabia
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:50:36 am by Boggin »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 05:04:29 am »
Good advice from Boggin, if you are not happy with your ISP, then vote with your feet and walk away to another provider.

Maybe you could look into getting another router (cheaply) and use that with your existing ISP?

I have always found Netgear to be a good brand, reliable, good support, decent performance and a reasonable price.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:56 am »
@ Samson - While a decent router will have its own firewall, with the broadband connection being unprotected it wouldn't matter which router you are using.

With it being open and unprotected, it would available to anyone within range like they are where free WiFi is provided.

@ Gamzertruth - To prevent anyone from leeching your broadband you could hide the SSID in the router settings then use  http://www.7tutorials.com/how-connect-hidden-wireless-networks to connect your computer to it or just wire up to see if that makes any difference to your connection stability/speeds.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 08:32:03 am »
@ Samson - While a decent router will have its own firewall, with the broadband connection being unprotected it wouldn't matter which router you are using.

With it being open and unprotected, it would available to anyone within range like they are where free WiFi is provided.

Understood, I was thinking more about holding onto a decent connection and speed,  as Gamezertruth has suggested that this particular make/ model of router is a little flakey and others have complained about it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:23 am »
Yes, I've had a couple off TalkTalk like that but their D-Link 3780 which I have now is spot on - although when it gets to about 21 or 22 days synced - it starts counting backwards  :smiley:

I was going to wait the last one out to see what it would do when it got to zero but we had a power cut.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 10:03:22 am »
Yes, I've had a couple off TalkTalk like that but their D-Link 3780 which I have now is spot on - although when it gets to about 21 or 22 days synced - it starts counting backwards  :smiley:

I was going to wait the last one out to see what it would do when it got to zero but we had a power cut.

I've got a small stockpile of old Netgear DG834G (V4) modem/ routers that I've picked up for next to nothing, OK so only wireless G, but they hang on to a connection like no other  :wink:. Even though they are End of Life products, Netgear still put out firmware/ security updates for them too. They can get a bit hot in summer, but a heatsink from an old graphics card solves that issue.