Author Topic: Computer behaves "strange"  (Read 10860 times)

Offline phuonglong003

• View Profile
Computer behaves "strange"
« on: November 24, 2014, 07:02:26 pm »
I've been having this issue for about a week now, it's been happening since after I set my IDM to download a queue then auto shutdown while I'm asleep. I don't have a system restore point then. But my computer has been acting strange lately. My computer used to do everything really fast.

Windows 8.1 64bit
i7 3770k
NVIDIA GTX 760
12GB Ram

Problems:
- Boot up takes 3mins or more, same with shutdown (with fast bootup option checked)
- Disk 0 (C: D:) always at 100% active(that was before I ran tweaking's windows repair, now it seems to not run at 100% at startup but then it would spikes up to 100 randomly until after hours of using it, it would always stay up at 100%, then goes down again, even now when I just have firefox open and nothing else). I also think this is the reason why my computer has been so slow since it happened.
- Sometimes when first attempt to start computer up after a long period of time of not using it, it would not load and instead, show "DRIVER_POWER_FAILURE", I had to force shutdown then attempt to start up the second time for it to load properly.

Things I did:
- Download and ran Malwarebytes, deleted some adwares, trojans.
- Ran my anti virus(Webroot) and scanned multiple times, no results.
- Checked for BIOS update, everything up to date.
- Run defrag on C:
- Run error check on C:
- Ran CCleaner to clean registries.
- Ran cmd and used DISM to restorehealth option, sfc/scannow option.
- Downloaded Driver Reviver and ran it.
- Ran Tweaking Windows Repair and all the optional options, also followed as instructed.
- Troubleshoot the Windows Update, here's what it showed:

* Issues found
Windows Update components must be repairedWindows Update components must be repaired
One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly. Fixed Fixed
Repair Windows Update components Completed

Here's the strange thing, even though it said it is fixed, it actually "come back", I ran this troubleshoot multiple times and it just tell me the same thing.

- I also ran WindowsUpdateDiagnostic, provided on microsoft website, and here's what it showed:

* Issues found
Some security settings are missing or have been changedSome security settings are missing or have been changed Fixed Fixed
Reset security settings Not run

Service registration is missing or corruptService registration is missing or corrupt Fixed Fixed
Reset service registration Completed

Windows Update error 0x80070057(2014-11-24-T-08_50_31P)Windows Update error 0x80070057(2014-11-24-T-08_50_31P) Fixed Fixed
Resetting Windows Update data store Completed

Problems installing recent updatesProblems installing recent updates Fixed Fixed
Repair Windows Update Completed

Again, these were showed earlier, these problems just keep coming back.

I would like to try to avoid a complete Windows reinstall as much as possible because I don't want to redownload and install all these files I have on my computers.

There are probably more but this is all I could remember as of now, I'll add more as the time goes, hopefully some computer wiz could help a gamer out because my games would stutter and drop fps really bad.

BTW: Also, the verifications in the site is also kind of annoying, I mean, just give me some normal font texts instead of these paints, I wouldn't be able to read the picture anyway if I was a bot.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:18:29 pm by phuonglong003 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Computer behaves "strange"
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:53:57 pm »
When you did a chkdsk on the drive did you also check for bad sectors?

Also when the drive is under a heavy load, open the resource manager and look at the disk activity and find out what is using the drive so much. That can help you find what is doing it.

How many processes are running in the back ground? If you have a ton of programs then startup will be slow since Windows is opening all of them. Same with shutdown since it has to close everything.

How does the system do if you do a clean boot and disable all the 3rd party programs?

Shane

Offline phuonglong003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:41:14 pm »
When you did a chkdsk on the drive did you also check for bad sectors?

Also when the drive is under a heavy load, open the resource manager and look at the disk activity and find out what is using the drive so much. That can help you find what is doing it.

How many processes are running in the back ground? If you have a ton of programs then startup will be slow since Windows is opening all of them. Same with shutdown since it has to close everything.

How does the system do if you do a clean boot and disable all the 3rd party programs?

Shane

I have no idea, I thought it will automatically check for bad sectors once the command is given?
I have little experience in programs and stuff so I have kind of confused. System.exe takes the most resources.

I have 32 background processes, and 27 windows processes.
I also disabled every startup programs including the schedule's. And the boot time and shut down time seems to be improved, but still not as fast as before this happened.

I also found out that the Refresh your Windows without losing your files' option can't be used, it said no changes were made and I tried and clicked on the find solution something, but it runs for a bit then the finding box closes and nothing happens.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:05:33 pm »
OK so system.exe is doing the most on the drive, you should be able to see what files it is reading and writing to. Find out what files it is using the most and let me know.

Also when you run chkdsk there is 2 options.

Fix file system errors only
chkdsk c: /f

Check for file system errors and bad sectors
chkdsk c: /r

The bad sector check will take a while depending on the size of the drive.

Shane

Offline phuonglong003

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:39:02 pm »
OK so system.exe is doing the most on the drive, you should be able to see what files it is reading and writing to. Find out what files it is using the most and let me know.

Shane

I will try and check for both, will report back later if there are any improvements or not.

Offline phuonglong003

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 03:18:40 pm »

Shane

Okay so I did both of them yesterday, had to went to sleep because it took too long (I have 2tb of hard drive). So everything seems to be faster, I went on and play some of my game and it worked better, but it still spikes up to 100% active time on some occasions and slowed down but it happens less frequently. I don't know how to find out which one is using the most resources at the time it spikes, can you help me out? Like a history log or something?

Offline phuonglong003

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 02:11:01 am »
SO I took a picture out of disk activites in perfmon:

Seems to be lots of MS uses, like one notes, bings, which I've never used on this computer?

Offline phuonglong003

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:03:34 am »
Hey Shane,
Thanks for your help, I know you have your job outside to attend to so you couldn't help me much, but you tried. I ran out of ideas of how to fix it and the Refresh my PC option wasn't working. But somehow I used the Advance Restart option and then the Refresh feature worked. My PC is fine now without losing much of my old files. :P

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 02:57:00 am »
hi PUO,;
                 Please download the process explorer. It is a free tool from sysinternational , sister concern of Microsoft. While you execute, it will show, what processes are all running and which takes much percentage.If you see, any unwanted process, other than window processes, you could report so that Shane will be able to advise particular on the process. It is a simple program and you could see yourself the difference of processes as in Task manager and in Process explorer.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 01:18:07 pm »
Hey Shane,
Thanks for your help, I know you have your job outside to attend to so you couldn't help me much, but you tried. I ran out of ideas of how to fix it and the Refresh my PC option wasn't working. But somehow I used the Advance Restart option and then the Refresh feature worked. My PC is fine now without losing much of my old files. :P

Holiday weekend and just got back into my office :-)

I think it was one of the 3rd party programs that wanst letting the refresh work, when you disabled them it let it work finally :-)

Good to hear you got it working better.

Shane