Author Topic: Defender  (Read 8899 times)

Offline silhouett

• View Profile
Defender
« on: October 31, 2014, 04:30:52 pm »
Recently I decided as my machine was slower to run the Tweaking software, First time since you added the safe mode stuff we had talked about before.
I also decided to download and run the malwarebytes.  after running the complete process then restoring services, startups and scheduled crap etc.
I decided to uninstall malwarebytes.   I did and rebooted and then had two errors, no virus detection and A usb error with my modem being not compatible with
this version of windows, Odd as it was before ?  anyway I tested the modem and it still worked fine and I archived that message.  The other problem though was not so
simple as I tried to start defender and it would not start had software 577 error.   I checked the registry and found I could not change the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows Defender key stuff as I had no permissions to it ?   System did and trusted installer but not Administrators.
I had to retake control of ownership of the keys DisableAntiSpyware & DisableAntiVirus  and then go to malwarebytes.com and get their removal tool as the software
would not completely remove.   It was only then I had any control.  I feared some other stuff might be messed up so I restored from the backup before I ran the your software.
Now I am not sure why these things happen ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Defender
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:24:20 am »
Never had those errors happen when I have ran it, so not sure. Lets see if we can find out :-)

First what version of windows was it ran on?

Shane

Offline silhouett

• View Profile
Re: Defender update
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:30:55 am »
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
6.3.9600 Build 9600

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:30:48 am »
The registry and file permissions repairs are ran and put back to the defaults, and the windows defender registry key was put back to its default, I took a screen shot of mine to show what the default is :-)

My permissions tool use to give you full control which fixed a lot of things, but in Windows 8, when you do that will completely break the app store. Windows 8 is the easiest OS to break. So the only way I could properly fix Windows 8 with permissions was by restoring the default permissions.

But, I have ran the repair tool on a ton of Windows 8 machines and never got the errors you did, so I am curious what the difference is.

How is everything running right now?

Shane

Offline silhouett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »
Well mine looked like yours with No administrators or windef   ?

I might add that I have ad-ware Antivirus But it was disabled.

I ran malwarebytes this time which I had not done before which is the only thing I did different this time other then safemode steps

Oh and I afterwards uninstalled malwarebytes and then tried to activate windows defender which is where I noticed something wasn't right as windows defender would not start it instead went to explorer screen.  When I tried to start the service I got Error 577

I then went and looked up that symptom and found a blurp  http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/35851-windows-defender-won-t-turn.html

When I checked the keys I mention I didn't have permissions to them as no Administrators were part of that.

I actually think this is more of a that version of malwarebytes then your program.

However I wasn't 100% sure so I figured I would post it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:39:56 pm »
Well it is great that you traced it down to what it was and I am happy it wasnt my program lol

I know the version of malwarebytes that my program downloads is the last version they did before they did version 2.0. 2.0 didnt get good feed back so I stuck with the old one. Was it the old version that did it or is it the newer versions of malwarebytes?

Shane

Offline josieluvsuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »
Recently I decided as my machine was slower to run the Tweaking software, First time since you added the safe mode stuff we had talked about before.
I also decided to download and run the malwarebytes.  after running the complete process then restoring services, startups and scheduled crap etc.
I decided to uninstall malwarebytes.   I did and rebooted and then had two errors, no virus detection and A usb error with my modem being not compatible with
this version of windows, Odd as it was before ?  anyway I tested the modem and it still worked fine and I archived that message.  The other problem though was not so
simple as I tried to start defender and it would not start had software 577 error.   I checked the registry and found I could not change the

Hello- Have had pretty much the same experience- Running Vista Home Premium 64 bit-
 My USB driver in network adaptors is non-functioning,, registry seems kind of eskew, although, don't know a thing about it.. NVDIA,, GeoForce is messed up, as well as another Network Adaptor,, realtek,.- Have you had any luck repairing.. ? I have been only able to get internet running a cable to box, across the room.. I have downloaded many programs to create logs, fix Reg, delete programs, ETC.. If you have any insight, i would appreciate because I am about to wipe all and start from scratch....Defender disabled, also- Thank you!!!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows Defender key stuff as I had no permissions to it ?   System did and trusted installer but not Administrators.
I had to retake control of ownership of the keys DisableAntiSpyware & DisableAntiVirus  and then go to malwarebytes.com and get their removal tool as the software
would not completely remove.   It was only then I had any control.  I feared some other stuff might be messed up so I restored from the backup before I ran the your software.
Now I am not sure why these things happen ?