Author Topic: SOUND CARD QUITS LESS THAN 2 MINUTES AFTER A REBOOT  (Read 24607 times)

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
SOUND CARD QUITS LESS THAN 2 MINUTES AFTER A REBOOT
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:40:09 pm »
HELLO ALL!

I HAVE INSTALLED A CREATIVE TECHNOLOGIES SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY RX SB1550 IN MY TOWER WITH WIN XP PRO 64 BIT OS.  IT INSTALLED FINE AND THE CREATIVE LINK IS ABLE TO DETECT AND RECOMMEND UPDATE FOR DRIVERS ETC.  AND DEVICE MANAGER SAYS EVERYTHING IS INSTALLED AND WORKING FINE.  THE PROBLEM IS WHETHER I PLAY AN AUDIO CD, STREAM A RADIO STATION, OR OPEN YOU TUBE CONTENT THE SOUND CARD WILL PRODUCE SOUND FOR LESS THAN 2 MINUTES AND THEN TOTAL SILENCE.  I HAVE TRIED THIS WITH MY HEADPHONES AS WELL SAME RESULTS.  AFTER THE SOUND STOPS I CHECK DEVICE MANAGER, AND TASK MANAGER AND THE PROGRAMS ARE STILL RUNNING AND WORKING PROPERLY.  WHEN I REBOOT I GET THE WELCOME SOUND FOR WINDOWS OPENING AND WHEN I GO TO LISTEN TO SOME SOUND PRODUCING FORMAT SAME THING ONLY FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES.  I CHECKED THE RESOURCES AND THERE ARE NO CONFLICTS ANNOUNCED HOWEVER I NOTICED THE IRQ IS SHARED WITH 4 OTHER DEVICES ON THE PCI BUS, IRQ 16.  NOTE THIS CARD IS IN A PCI-E SLOT AND I'VE TRIED CHANGING THE SLOT AS WELL AND REINSTALLING THE CREATIVE SOFTWARE AND DRIVERS ALWAYS END UP AT THE SAME PLACE.  BTW, WHEN I 1ST EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM I THOUGHT IT WAS A HARDWARE ISSUE SO I RETURNED THE ORIGINAL CARD AND TRIED ANOTHER ONE, SAME RESULTS.  I THOUGHT ABOUT MANUALLY SETTING THE IRQ TO SOMETHING ELSE HOWEVER I AM UNABLE TO CLEAR THE 'USE AUTOMATIC SETTINGS' CHECK BOX, TO TRY THIS?  STUMPED!  PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU,
H-D

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: SOUND CARD QUITS LESS THAN 2 MINUTES AFTER A REBOOT
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:43:07 am »
Dear HD,
                   If you are having problem only on streaming and you tube audios, but not videos, Please try this and report
                 Go to adobe.com and uninstall the adobe flash player in your system , by the uninstaller found in there.            Then download  and install the latest from the adobe.com site. Normally this would fix the problem. pl try. This is not with sound card issue. If this is an issue with every audio, then there is some problem in the drivers. Please update the drivers from the Device Manager with internet connection. Go to Dev Man. Go to the Sound Device or some other name and then click it to find the device. double click the sound drivers to get properties. There you to update drivers and it will automatically download the drivers from website,either from msoft or it will say the manufacturer site. Download it and your problem should be over.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:48:09 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 03:54:21 am »
Have you disabled the original onboard audio?

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 11:47:12 am »
HEY GUYS THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

JRAJU:  THIS HAPPENS ON ALL METHODS THAT REQUIRE SOUND OUTPUT.  I DID UPDATE ADOBE FLASK PLAYER FROM THEIR SITE BUT DIDN'T SEE AN OPTION TO UNINSTALL MY PREVIOUS VERSION?  I HAVEN'T TRIED THIS OUT YET.

SAMSON:  I TRIED TO UPDATE THE DRIVER FOR THE SOUND CARD BUT THE EXISTING DRIVER IS THE MOST SUITABLE AVAILABLE ACCORDING TO THE INTERNET SEARCH FOR A BETTER DRIVER.  NOT ABLE TO DISABLE OR REMOVE ANY OF THE OTHER SOUND DEVICES FROM DEVICE MANAGER AND NOT SURE WHICH ONE IS THE ORIGINAL SYSTEM SOUND DEVICE, PLEASE ADVISE AND REFER TO ATTACHED SCREEN SHOT OF MY SOUND DEVICES.

I APPRECIATE ALL INPUT!

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 12:22:47 pm »
Check that the Sound Blaster Audigy is the default device.

Control Panel> Sound & Audio Devices> Audio> Sound Playback click on down arrow and check that the Sound Blaster Audigy is selected as the default device.

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 12:32:32 pm »
SAMSAN,

YES IT IS THE DEFAULT DEVICE FOR SOUND PLAYBACK, SOUND RECORDING, AND MIDI MUSIC.  CURRENTLY IT WON'T EVEN CHIME ON REBOOT WINDOWS OPENING?  CHECK ATTACHMENT SHOWING IRQ RESOURCES FYI?

THANK YOU

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:26:59 pm »
I had a similar problem, an ATI Radeon PCI graphics card and a Creative Sound Blaster card sharing the same IRQ. What I did was, disabled some unused ports (freeing up a few IRQs) and then switched the 2 cards around until each had its own IRQ, It worked for me.

I am NOT recommending that you do this. 

Best to wait for expert advice. Shane will be able to give you a solution I'm sure  :wink:.  He'll probably be back after the weekend, sit tight 'til then.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:26:22 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 04:16:27 am »
Hi HD,
            1 .   Please do not type all capitals. Pl.
               2.    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Entertainment, and then click Volume Control.
    In Volume Control, on the Options menu, click Advanced Controls.
    Click Advanced Options on the Play Control dialog box.
    Click to clear the Digital Output Only check box, and then click Close.
NOTE: If you cleared the Digital Output Only check box before you updated the driver, turn on the digital playback, and then test the audio playback.
Please say

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 12:32:46 pm »
Hello Jraju,

BY following this path the final advanced option only allows for bass and treble adjustment, nothing for digital only.   At this point as Samson suggested wait and see if Shane joins and has some insight about how to manually manipulate the IRQ 16 being shared.  I appreciate both yours and Samson's input so far.

Regards,
H-D

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 01:04:59 pm »
When the audio next stops go Start, type dxdiag - press enter - select 64 bit if applicable and see what it says under the Sound tab and is Event Viewer reporting anything ?

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 01:32:20 pm »
Hello Boggin,

i attached a screen shot of the sound tab, i don't know if anything here is unusual or bad?

Pleae advise!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 02:44:46 pm »
At least we now know what the conflict is.

Can you confirm the model number http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?url=http://ask.creative.com:80/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe/,/?st=185,e=0000000000142828675,k=7607,sxi=11,varset=ws:,case=83341 as the DEV No 0008 gives that as a Sound Blaster Audigy 4 http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=644 but when I've gone to creative.com all I can find for SB1550 is for an Audigy 5/RX http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?url=http://ask.creative.com:80/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe/,/?st=496,e=0000000000142825517,k=7698,sxi=11,varset=ws:,case=10846 (2nd of 2nd group down)

This is the only driver I can find on their site which is for Audigy 5/RX SB1550 http://support.creative.com/Downloads/welcome.aspx and from the release date looks like the same driver that you have installed.

You may have to contact Creative for advice in obtaining a WHQL XP driver or one that is verified and make a note of what that error message says.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:03:45 pm by Boggin »

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:36:16 pm »
Hello Boggin,

I don't know what dev 0008 means or how you interpret it, but i think this is important.  When i first put this tower together i did install a new Audigy Fx (4)  sb1570.  afterwards when it didn't work i called creative and they told me it was the wrong board for my system and to but the Audigy Rx (5)  sb1550.  Thisis the hardware i currently have installed in my tower.  I thought i uninstalled all the previous files for the Audigy Fx but not sure since the windows remove programs wouldn't do it for me and creative didn't have an uninstall file for this purpose, there maybe still an undesireable file left over from the first installation.  BTW, my os is win xp pro 64bit sp2.  So now since you've determined that the dxdiag has reported this Audigy Fx (file/driver?)  is it possible for me to remove it and set things straight?

Thank you,
H-D

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 09:12:18 pm »
Hi, I have given the microsoft solution for this particular problem. This is for xp which you have. There is known compatibility of drivers of sound blast with microsoft. This is the fix. I will send the link in my next reply or edition. Pl see the link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313022
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:14:20 pm by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 01:14:33 am »
While I don't know what jraju's MS link provides, Windows doesn't like unverified signatures which is why it's blocking the install, but if you also have residue of Audigy 4 then the 5/RX SB1550 driver also wouldn't sit well.

In your DXDIAG report it gave a Device ID PCI\VEN 1102 & 0008 DEV number.

The VEN is the Vendor ID and DEV is the Device ID.

You then enter those numbers into http://www.pcidatabase.com/ and press enter which will give you a number of possibilities and you line up what is given for the Device ID No. which got me that long list - they aren't normally as long as that one though.

I think you would be as well to uninstall all SoundBlaster bits to start again should any residue from the previous Audigy 4 install be causing any problems.

It is a bit more involved than just using Windows Uninstaller http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=85237

@ jraju - Did you test that MS link as it's just hanging for me, although I've found that with a number of MS Support links recently and on one occasion when I finally managed to get to one, it had a warning that they were having problems with their Servers.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 03:28:22 am »
Hi, Boggins. The link was checked and it works. Please see the solution.It is for this sound blaster sound card

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 03:51:02 am »
Thanks jr, it works for me now but still hung a bit.

Going back to HD's opening post, he said that the card works for less than 2 mins so it isn't as the problem in that MS article.

From the dxdiag report, Windows doesn't like the driver's unverified signature and is causing the card to crash.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 04:02:13 am »
Hi, Boggins that verified  is not a big problem. I also downloaded Realtek drivers, which says the drivers are not verified. The solution is eventhough looks somewhat not acceptable, microsoft specifically written an article on that.
                  Regarding diag tool, when you click NO to the sound test, you get those messages. error no 19, . I experienced the same, when i click ok, when actually i heard no sound, it says everything ok.
                      I still feel that it is really a driver problem. Microsoft specic that there are some incompatibility in their drivers and Sound Blast drivers. The topic suggest, that though the sound plays, you could not hear if the digital sound settings is enabled in the volume settings. The whole article only dealt with it.  The specific cause as in the article is reproduced below:his issue can occur because of an incompatibility between the playback configurations of the sound card driver and the settings in the Windows XP volume controls; you can configure both the sound card software and the Windows XP volume controls to use either analog output or digital output.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:06:21 am by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 04:20:24 am »
Hi, This  is also a solution
Try
    Go to the speaker icon in the System tray, right click it, and click Adjust Audio Properties. If there's no speaker icon there, go to Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices.

In Sounds and Audio Devices on the Volume tab, click Advanced in the bottom (Speaker Settings) box, and click Performance on the next page. Where it says Sample rate conversion quality, that is the equivalent of the same thing in Vista and above that you can adjust to 44100Hz or 48000Hz. For reference, think of the far right position as 48000Hz, and the next position down as 44100Hz. You can also try dropping Hardware acceleration on that page if you're experiencing audio problems.

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 07:52:24 am »
Hello Guys,

Jraju:  i have attached a screen shot of my sound settings that you keep refering to, there is no choice to disable 'digital'?

Boggin:  Before your latest suggestion I did try a complete uninstall to the best of my ability and knowledge and the reinstall did hang up at 80% audio files then requesting if i want to proceed without ms authentication I said yes then got a blue screen dump; I simply did a hard reboot with the boot button and then i tried the install again from 0% same query at 80% I said yes and then it finished 100% download complete-finish.  i checked the dxdiag and it still reported dev 0008 indicating the wrong hardware?  and now my sound won't even play during startup.  I didn't have the proper routine as you suggested and the creative link indicates; I will try to do this complete removal at some point.  I will get to it just don't have enough time at the moment to tackle it since i am still able to use this computer without sound.

I am open to any and all thoughts going forward and appreciated both of your time and thoughts!

Regards,
H-D

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 02:14:05 pm »
Changing the irq is the first thing I would do. Since it is being shared, depending on the motherboard, some of an option in the bios where it asks if the OS is plug and play, default setting is No. Which means the bios handles the irq. But if you put it to yes then windows will control the irq and should allow you to change it within windows.

What motherboard do you have in the system? Is it a store bought machine or custom built? (Custom built, home motherboards normally give you all those options, while store bought machines a lot of times are lacking severely with options in the bios)

Shane

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 03:44:59 pm »
HI SHANE,

Welcome back.  My motherboard is an Asus a8v-x, i recently assembled this machine although i have been buying parts for it for about 5 years so its new to me with about 5 yo parts except the sound card which i just bought in Aug Audigy Rx.  In July I bought the wrong board Audigy Fx.  So, i was thinking that the IRQ could be the problem but i wasn't able to edit it.  I will go into the bios and see if plug n play is no or yes and switch it if necessary to allow the adjustment.  Based on the IRQ list i provided with this thread is there a particular address you would choose?  I am happy with all the hellp i have been getting and learning as i go.  This site is an awesome resource.  Thank you!

Regards,
H-D

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 03:59:54 pm »
Any free irq will be fine, just one that isnt in use.

I checked and is this your board?
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/A8V-X/HelpDesk_Download/

If so it is 9 years old, I wanted you to updated the bios to make sure you have the latest version as well and it has a date of 2006 :wink:

See if you have bios version  A8V-X BIOS 0703 (Let me know if you have the A8V-XE instead just in case, there was that model as well)

Shane

Offline HDCOUNTRYGUY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 05:34:45 pm »
shane,

it was on yes and i switched to no made no difference still not able to toggle the choice to change the IRQ in device manager.  I guess i'll put it back to yes since this was the suggestion you made to allow the manipulation of the IRQ; either way it doesn't allow me to unselect the check mark.  I have tried to uninstall and reintall this software several times, now it recognizes there is a sb sound card and confirms the correct drive is installed and i get nothing even during the windows greeting after reboot.

btw, i have attached a screen shot of my system info and it seems i have the latest version of bios.

from the box for the mother board i have this information for you:

a8v-x-eayz

p/n  90-m9logk-goeayz

s/n  73moac91631

i cannot verify a mfg. date.

if you suggest a better sound card that will work with my system i will buy it.  i am using the pci-e slot for this sb and only have 2 pci-e slots and have tried both of them same results.  i will be happy to try any further remedies you may think of.

1 more thing i have thought of, this sytsem doesn't allow me to install dotnetfx 1.1; not sure if that would contribute to this issue, just thought you should know.

thank again!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 06:59:19 pm »
Lots of post so I might of missed it, but you made sure to disable the onboard sound in the bios correct?

Shane