Author Topic: (Solved)Rodents eat car wire and plastic parts in the Chassis Solution  (Read 12831 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi,  Funny as it may seem. But on the other day when we notice that some lights glow while driving denoting that there is something missing or low, in the car indicator tab. On checking , i found that either squirrel or rats have eaten the inside wires in the engine and also totally damaged the windscreen tube, that contains the water. There are also other plastic cans which has coolant, that escape the rodent attack.
Servicing it really cost me dear, in the sense that radiator assembly has to be replaced with windscreen connection and wires. It costs me dear. I had the car for more than 3 years, and only now i have this problem.
                  Any immediate solutions that could stop rodent from approaching the engine during night times. Occasionally, i find cats are rounding but i think rats are smarter than cats nowadays.
                          Real solutions would be appreciated. I do not want to spend for car parts due to rodent bites like monthly maintenance
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:37:41 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Rodents eat car wire and plastic parts in the Chassis Solution
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 04:28:54 am »
Maybe try a bumper sticker?  :wink:

I have heard that mothballs work, if you can stand the smell. keeping the car clean helps, if there are no food scraps or waste, then ratty will move on.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 04:52:22 pm »
hi, Samson,
                     i do not think that mothballs will be the solution. I am asking seriously. For the past three years, there was no problem from rodents. I thought, this as strange. NO food particles in engine compartment. ok
                        Any other solutions, Shane, boggins,

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:56:35 pm »
Trade your car in for a Jaguar, vermin will not mess with the big cat  :wink:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:01:23 pm »
Hi, Samson
                       Your advise is musical but not practical. Is there anything that will repel rats, a kind of solution. Because rats bit everything in its way, if it finds no food in it's search.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 07:38:44 pm »
I never heard of a rat going into a car like that before. The only reason it would is to look for food. Only thing you can really do is make sure to clean everything as good as you can and see about getting some kind of repellent, but I dont know of any myself.

Otherwise you might have to put some rat poison somewhere where it wont fall out or get into anything but where the rats will get it.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:48:14 pm »
Hi,
                  Shane, Poison is real risky and any thing could get in to it. I mean is there something herb or plant or something natural ,which may repel rodent.
                        So, it seems that problem is peculiar. Normally you cannot close the bottom of the chassis, as is the practice. Somebody, boggins, suggest some plant or some useful tips on this

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 01:44:07 am »
Google seems to suggest that peppermint oil can help.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 04:14:34 am »
Hi, Samson, It is a good suggestion.
                    But i found a temporary solution of packing cured tobacco leaves in the place near the chasis no to prevent wire cut and also in just opposite site. The problem is i have to wait and see if it works. This is somewhat cheap, that is , you have to replace the cured tobacco leaves once in 25 days and it is very cheap in price also.
                       I came across the surfing, about a rid a rat solution, which is available in USA and it uses LED technology. Would you please say how it works. I found so many articles of possible solution, like peppermint ,but somehow rodents is used to its smell and then it never works.
                        I also came to know that Pack rat is the cause for this car damage and i do not know how to know those rats. I only heard about rodents and big ones, size of small cat. Samson , what is pack rat, any idea? Those rats try to use the car chasis as their shelter house. Strange. Any solution, other than these would also be appreciated.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 05:30:44 am »
Hmmmm, I don't know about the tobacco thing, are n't you just providing a potential food/ nesting material there?

Not heard of LED tech, but there are a few high frequency sound generators that could work. Seen them used to deter cats, badgers and even kids from hanging around certain paces!

Pack Rat? never heard of that one, maybe you've got  a new breed of super rat there in India. Truth is rats are everywhere, urban myth is that in London you are never more than 6ft away from a rat.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 01:20:53 am »
Hi, Samson,
   Please see the link. I do not know anything about it so i ask.
http://www.rid-a-rat.com/Installation.html

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 07:15:03 am »
Who knows.....If it works or if it is just snake oil? $45 plus shipping costs would buy a lot of peppermint oil or similar.

I can't really see what that device does? Or how it works. If it is just a flashing LED, then I'm sure that you could find/ make an alternative far cheaper.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:18:29 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 09:23:21 pm »
Hi, Samson
                      I am now using tobacco which is cheaper.Pep oil and LED lights are business tricks and not cure. But tobacco leaves does not have any side effect, except of course it losts its vigour and odd taste in a two to three weeks time. But it has another usage. By throwing these used tobacco to the area around cars would also have other pests from coming near to the car. Who knows, the staunch smell would also throw you away. I hate tobacco chewers, how they chew this horrible thing in their mouth. Foul mouth.
Hi, Shane
                your remarks in your post in this thread
The only reason it would is to look for food. Only thing you can really do is make sure to clean everything as good as you can
                         The rat bites the wire and plastic parts not for food but to sharpen its teeth, to be ready for any bites. It is also interesting to know that the teeth of mice grows faster and to maintain to minium to be within its mouth, it sharpens its teeth by biting the available parts and also for warmth . Little bit interessting, that i now start reading materials about pack rats.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 11:37:10 pm »
Hi,
                 Monthly i am changing the cured tobacco leaves . I think that i would continue this method for some months and then may, discontinue. This is a problem by rodents. Thanks for all suggestions.