Author Topic: Desktop, Start Button and that General Area  (Read 2378 times)

Offline silhouett

• View Profile
Desktop, Start Button and that General Area
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
I recently was playing with various star buttons for windows 8.1  such as start8 and startisback etc... well a very bad thing happen and I am not sure what it was.
I when I would login to either my or the admin desktop got a black screen ?   I could start task manager but it did not stay running and explorer failed to start as well.
I think what had happen was I some how got a malware attack while I was also playing with these start button tools. 

anyway I was eventually able to fix the issues by restoring registry information from your software.

But it made me think that maybe a repair area for the desktop loading, shell choice, time out, task button stuff would be a good thing to have ?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Desktop, Start Button and that General Area
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »
I use classic shell on my Windows 8, out of all I tested it was the best one as some of the others had strange freezing and other problems. So far classic shell has worked without a hitch.

As for a repair for the task bar and such, some of the repairs already set the registry key to put the default shell back, and as for time outs and settings for the task bar the program doesn't touch them right now as those are just user settings and normally dont break the task bar. The task bar is part of explorer.exe, so normally any problems with it have to do with that :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com