Author Topic: Task Scheduler reverts to old computer name  (Read 7324 times)

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
Task Scheduler reverts to old computer name
« on: January 04, 2015, 05:34:21 pm »
I have an Acer netbook running XP, with a strange problem. I changed the name of the computer. Now I am trying to create a Scheduled Task. Everything goes fine until I hit Accept. At that point TS changes the owner of the task to the old computer name: Acer-D150\owner becomes Acer-kav60\owner. And so the task fails.

I've run Tweaking to reset registry, file and service permissions, the first two in Safe Mode, the last in full mode but with AV disabled.

I tried this on a second task to make sure the problem was endemic. It is. Anyone have insight what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:35:56 pm by paul1149 »

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
Re: Task Scheduler reverts to old computer name
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:58:09 pm »
I worked around the problem by reverting the name back. Nothing else worked. I'd like to know what's at root, though.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:44:51 pm »
Hi,
                Did you reboot the computer, when you change the name in the task scheduler? if not, it may be that it takes the old name and the task is not running. If any changes are made then you have to reboot the system to have  the effect of the change. If this is not,
                        what is the error it shows, when scheduled time appears.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:55:29 pm »
I have had this happen before. It turned out to be corrupted crypto files on the system. Once I delete them and then went and reset the password for each scheduled task it was good.

Worth a try
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/246183

Shane

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 04:09:26 am »
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind for next time, as this machine was quickly sold and is packed and ready to go. Strange, though, that this happened in a cloned install that has been fine on every other machine. But maybe the crypto's tie-in to the hardware produced the problem this time?

Thanks much,
Paul

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:15:03 pm »
Not sure if it ties into the hardware at all. I have cloned machines tons of times, but they are always cloned to the same type and make of hardware. Like when I build multiple computers at once and they are all the same hardware.

when it happened on the server it just happened out of nowhere. I go in and see the scheduled backup wasnt running and that is when I started getting errors.

Shane

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:35:56 pm »
I thought the cryptography was tied to the hardware, but I could well be wrong about this. This clone was to a very similar, but not identical unit: an Acer D250 to a D150. I've used the clone dozens of times without this happening, but almost always it was to an identical unit.

Anyway, appreciate your input.

Paul