Author Topic: Hard Drive failing.  (Read 9889 times)

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
Hard Drive failing.
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:57:44 pm »
Hi guys, Rick back again with another problem, not as bad as the last one but serious. My seagate 1 TB drive is maligning clicking noises which tells me it is crapping out. Now the drive tells me it is in RAW format and i cannot get the files from the drive. What program can i use to rescue the files and dump them to another drive? It show the directories in file manager but when i try to change into my movies dir it says I/o error.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Drive failing.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:06:01 pm »
I/O error could mean a lot of different things wrong with the drive, bad sectors or the drive isnt reading right. I did have a drive that did that on a customers and noticed it was hot. So I put ice in two zip lock bags and then put the drive in  a small towel and then put the drive between both bags of ice. It kept the drive cool enough to where I was able to get 90% of the files off of it. Where when it got hot it totally stopped working and didnt even report as plugged in.

So that is normally something I try with drives that are dieing hard, sometimes it does help because things stay cold lets it work better. So that would be worth a shot IF you can get the data.

If it is reporting as raw that means the file system on the drive is messed up as well, you can try format recovery or partition recovery software, but if the drive is on its last leg a scan from one of those might finish it off as those programs have to scan every sector on the drive to grab any data that might be on them.

I say ice the sucker and see if it helps at all. :wink:

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:52:05 pm »
Even from just starting the drive up from cold it does it. I just tried the free version of care and it locks up on both my x64 and x86 systems but when i try their standard edition which you have to buy it scans the drive. Weird.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:55:21 pm »
I have had good luck with Ontrack EasyRecovery (Not free)

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:46:01 pm »
Trying it but the program locks up when i run it, and i cannot end the task until i unplugged the drive. GHonna start it and goto bed and see what happens in morning.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:47:21 pm »
Go to settings and set it to ignore bad sectors as well, should speed things up.

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:50:44 pm »
Oh 1 sec it just came up.SAys there is bad blocks, chkdisk cannot fix it so what program should i run to fix the bad blocks, i had a low level form mating program called spin rite. It started and oh my god it says it will take 90 days !!!!!!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 11:55:23 pm »
I still use spin rite 5 as well. But depending how bad the blocks are and if it is actually bad blocks and not something else inside the drive that is making it think there is bad blocks (Or if something inside is scraping) and is making the bad blocks then trying to recover those blocks will be pointless.

Normally when a ton of bad sectors come out of no where it is because something else went wrong with the hardware inside the drive and possibly damaged the platters.

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 06:50:53 pm »
Just fired the computer up and the drive spins up making many clicking noise and then spins down. Cannot get it to be seen by windows. Any other suggestions ? Looks like it is fried, wonder if it is worth it to send to a HD recover company, has over 500 gigs of movies on it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 03:05:59 pm »
They charge crazy amounts of money to do that. Are the movies personal and you cant get them back? Or are they ones you can rip or download, so in other words they can be replaced.

It is this reason right here why every system i have I have a mirror (Raid 1) setup with all my drives. So when one fails I still have everything on the other. It isnt a backup, it is simply meant to avoid down time for hardware failure. So two drives installed, I only see one, while the other stays a mirror image :-)

But yes, your drive sounds like it is done.

Shane

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 03:59:15 pm »
Ya thanks, got a quote from a HD service center, 850.00 to rescue data, no thanks and yes I can download all the movies again, doing that right now. The drive it MEGA toast for sure. Spins up and powers down with lots of clicking and tapping noises.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 04:00:46 pm »
Cheaper to buy a 2nd drive (Same model and size) and just set it up in mirroring if your motherboard supports it :wink:

Shane