Author Topic: Computer sound lag/statter (SOLVED)  (Read 7944 times)

Offline ff7sephiroth

• View Profile
Computer sound lag/statter (SOLVED)
« on: February 13, 2015, 05:37:37 am »
Hi ! I am using A dell xps l702 laptop running windows 7 home premium. Suddenly 2 days ago my laptop started doing a weird sound .In this video there is the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfrJx8WzW8U .I used tweak fix but it didnt work.I also updated my driver but the problem persists.I suspect that the cause is the windows update of 12/2/2015 because the problem started after this update installed and i rebooted the laptop. Please help its driving me crazy :c .Also excuse my english its not my native language. Is it even possible for the windows update messing with my sound? 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:10:05 am by ff7sephiroth »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Computer sound lag/statter
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:22:32 am »
The best way to find out if it is hardware or windows is to use another OS to test with. And that is easy to do thankfully :-)

Ubuntu will let you run the OS right off the dvd or thumb drive without installing it,
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you?country=US&version=14.04.1&architecture=i386

I would grab the ISO, and have it put to a thumb drive (Since they are faster than a dvd drive)
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Then when you boot off the usb choose try ubuntu (Dont install it) and then make sure the sound works and then go play the same video or music that was making the sound and see if it happens.

If it happens here as well then it is a hardware problem. If it works just fine in ubuntu then we know it is a problem with windows :wink:

Shane

Offline ff7sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:59:16 am »
Ok seems i got an update at this issue.Its not the hardware as it seems.The laptop seems to have a problem with latency issues.I run the dpc latency checker and i have occasionally  a red bar appearing.It seems that the sound lag is a product of this because the red line appears even when i am not listening to music .The only problem is i dont know what is cousing it.Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:22:31 am by ff7sephiroth »

Offline ff7sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:06 am »
AHA! Seems this is a universal problem with the latest dell update! http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/2vpz9j/dpc_latency_issues_i_think_dell_xps_13_presumably/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:43:59 am by ff7sephiroth »

Offline ff7sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:41:11 am »
I dissabled the The dell Diag control Device as mentioned in the post above and the problem disapeared from the moment. But i am afraid that the driver was important! Any idea of what that driver was?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:07:07 pm »
You most likely dont need it and it was just an extra crap driver from dell. All the OEMs install their own 3rd party drivers, and they are not normally needed. So see how it goes without it for a while, you can always re-enable it if you need to :-)

Shane