Author Topic: Videocards under 200 €  (Read 16267 times)

Offline rocknrollah

• View Profile
Videocards under 200 €
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:43:00 pm »
So basicly, I'm not very rich and I'm looking for a good videocard under 200€.

Right now I got Nvidia G210 and I'm looking for a decent upgrade.
Doesn't have to be top notch, but if I can run BF3 and games like that.

I just noticed that my videocard is only 512 mb so cards starting at 1GB would be nice.

Thanks for your advice.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Videocards under 200 €
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:45:47 pm »
This is my current video card. Handles BF3 perfectly.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521&fb_source=message

Its a little more than you want to spend, but it is a good card :-)

Shane

Offline umpio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:38:14 am »
First take a look at this gpu value comparison list.
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/273502-GPU-Value-Comparisons

Second before buying a new card always make sure that your PSU can handle it. (Most of the new cards need also two or more  power connectors)

Third don't forget that BF3 needs a good cpu as well like many of the other new games. Upgrading only gpu won't always give enough perfomance to run the game smoothly.

If you have really low end cpu save the money and buy a whole new pc later on. Otherwise go for the cheapest card you can find(hd6850,hd6870,gtx560ti) with enough power to run the latest games with your cpu.

Here's the BF3 System requirements. It should give you the idea of what specs it needs for minimum and for highish settings:
http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

Offline rocknrollah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:37:21 am »
My computer is:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6600 @ 3.06GHz
CPU Speed: 3.1 GHz
RAM: 4 GB

I think I bought him last year or the year before that. When I check if I can run games I always
fail on the videocard part, It's still the videocard that came with the computer. I know it's not
a high-end gaming computer, but I do have the feeling it's my videocard always letting me down.

Thanks alot for the list, I will check that out.

Also, I'm always afraid that I don't have enough Watt or what is it called? To support my videocard, how can I check how much I got?

And I know there's a difference ofcourse between a 512mb card and a 1GB card, but does that make alot of difference in gaming or are there other points I should pay attention too ?

Thanks guys.

Offline umpio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:38:11 am »
Look back of the computer where the power cable goes to the power unit, there should be a sticker where it reads the model number and wattage output. If it's not there look inside the case and check the side of the psu. The model name is sometimes enough too. On mine it reads TX650 on the back, which is a 650 watt psu.

Every gpu has different power requirements and how many power connectors it needs (pins and all..). Check the system requirements on manufacture's web site for the card you are buying.

e.g. Sapphire HD 6850 requires only one 75 Watt 6-pin power connector, and 500w psu is recommended as safe to use, but it could work on 400w too. It depends lot about your other specs and if overclocking.

there is also a psu calculator for doing the maths ;)
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

If you play with high res monitor then it's really important to have more vram at least 1gb, which is the "standard" today for vram and every game should work on it. More vram is needed if you use those fancy 3D or multiple monitors.

Here's some game play videos of BF3 with your cpu: (note that they both have a weaker gpu than e.g. the hd6850)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiFhm2IE_SQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLXaWM7GZ8I

Here is also some thread about your cpu and BF3
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654624708978918/

You should be able to run it decently with at least on medium/high settings with HD 6850, depends on the resolution used.

Offline rocknrollah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:35:04 am »
Thanks alot for the information guys. It helped alot, I found out how much Watt I run and all that, thank you very much.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 08:29:10 am »
No Problem :-)

Shane

Offline rocknrollah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 10:51:39 am »
I was thinking about getting an Asus Radeon HD6670. According to what I read, you should be able to run this card on any computer right? I mean, if you have a PCI Express 2.1 port, which everyone has right? The card I have right now requires that too, so I suppose that's alright. Or do I have to keep other things in mind too? I know I'm kinda, maybe, looking a bit stupid here, but I've always been more into software than hardware and I rather be sure before spending money.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:54:56 am »
Check if the card needs a power connected into it, if it does make sure your power supply has the connection :wink:

Shane

Offline rocknrollah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 02:17:12 am »
I think I'm just going to take it to the shop where I bought and see if they can figure it out.

According to this page:

http://www.geeks3d.com/20110516/tested-asus-radeon-hd-6670-review/6/

The official TDP of the HD 6670 is 66W. But I also read stuff about 92 Watts and 194 watts. And that a PCI Express slot is limited to 75w ? So uhm, yeah, I read that this card should run good on a 300w power supply as far as I can tell. But what about this PCI Express slot being limited to 75w when according to these tests you will need 92?

I could also go to the shop and ask them for advice, but it will also cost me a 30$ extra to have them put it in. But yeah, I suppose if they'll tell me that it will work and they put it in and it doesn't, I should have some guarantee, I hope..

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 09:50:22 am »
From the looks of the pictures here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121442

It doesn't look like it needs an extra power connection :-)

Shane

Offline rocknrollah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »
So that means I should be ok with the 300 watt or ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »
What is odd is I cant find any info on the power supply they recommend.
http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6670DIS1GD5/#overview

It might be because it pulls all its power through the pci slot. And it can only pull so much. Thats why some of the newer cards have power connectors to get the rest of the power they need.

It might work on the 300 watt. But 300 watt seems really low. Even if it handles it you will be pushing the power supply to its max, which will make it run hotter and go out faster. Getting a bigger power supply would be a good idea. :wink:

Shane

Offline umpio

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 01:12:12 am »
On amd's site 400w psu is recommended for that card. But yet again it's just the safe recommendation.

Did you try the psu calculator that I linked? It should give you the theoretical minimum wattage output recommendation for your specs. So if you don't have your cpu overclocked, multiple usb devices, fans, hdds you should be ok. But as Shane said using psu its max output will decrease its lifespan, which could lead to a broken psu and in the worst scenario broken psu could broke the other pc parts.

According to the PSU calculator power need difference for the nvidia geforce 210 and for the hd 6670 is around 30watts. Is this ~30w increase too much or not, I can't say. You can only take the risk and test it. I think many shops will accept returns if you say my psu couldn't handle it.

Edit: And don't pay for the 30$ extra job for them to let them put it in, it's 50% of that card's value! Unless you really want to have the advantage to plain them if it doesn't work!  :cheesy:

Edit2: And you could get quite good new psu for that money! ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:54:31 am by umpio »