Author Topic: Registry Backup Beta  (Read 314637 times)

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
Registry Backup Beta
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:04:02 pm »
Found a couple problems with Registry Back Beta v0.9.0.

1. The portable versions does not work, has problem with Volume Shadow Copy. Says to check the Help but I can't find any help.
2. The installed version works but does not respect the location I chose to save the backup in. I set it to  D:\Registry Backup\ but it saved the backup in C:\Reg_Backup\.

I setup the scheduler to run at boot so I'll try that next and see what happens.
Rich
The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain - Heraclitus.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Backup Beta
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:29:25 pm »
Thanks for letting me know :-)

The portable versions does not work, has problem with Volume Shadow Copy. Says to check the Help but I can't find any help.

Where were you running it from? A network drive or just on the system? When you click backup the program will start the vss_start.exe in the files folder. That will then launch the volume shadow copy service. So I am wondering if for some reason the vss_start.exe didnt get started?

I haven't made the help file yet, waiting till out of beta (Maybe, perhaps I can start building it while in beta) :-) I am gathering feedback and any problems reported to help make the help and f.a.q

2. The installed version works but does not respect the location I chose to save the backup in. I set it to  D:\Registry Backup\ but it saved the backup in C:\Reg_Backup\.

I just tested and it works for me, can you send me or copy or paste the contents of the settings.ini file in the program folder?

Shane
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:39:14 pm by Shane »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 05:54:26 pm »
Do me a favor and re download the program and install over the one you have.

It is still the same version. I had a miss spelling that was keeping the schedule task from running properly.

I had the silent command as /silent in the program but in the schedule task I had it \silent

So I made a quick change to the exe and the program now supports "/silent" and "\silent" and "-silent"

I didn't want to make a new version number for such a small change. :wink:

Also the scheduled task runs under the system account. So you wont see it run and it is being ran with the highest privileged. Which means running this way it will have access to all user profiles who have their files protected. So this way it can back up those registry profiles as well :wink:

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:54:52 pm »
I take back the version number lol

v0.9.1 is out :-)

v0.9.1
Fix bug where when running from the task scheduler it wouldn't grab the user profile locations. This is because the program use to pull the current user profile to get the profile directory. When running from the task scheduler it is ran as the system account which is stored in a different location. This is now fixed.

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:58 pm »
I have tried Registry Backup and there a few things that I noticed!
I also write things that have been fixed, but didn't work in the first beta release, maybe someone who reads this have had the same problem, so they see what fixed it.

This work now in 0.9.1!!!
The first time I open "Registry backup" there is only 3 "user registry files", then if I Close and open the program again there is 7 "User registry files".

It took about 70 sec to backup for me then I backup manually! Thats just an observation, nothing wrong with that time!

I have tried to do a backup and then restore it and it worked!  :cheesy:

These three things are rather unimportant but:
Under "Backup Location" if I have checked "Change backup location" and clicked on the button "Choose folder to store backups" I would like it to start at the latest folder that I have choosen.

Under "Backup Location" again if I have checked "Change backup location" and I have clicked on the text and the text cursor are blinking I also would like to write the backup location and be able to create a folder from there not having to go thru the "Explorer".

In "Check for updates" under settings it says, "Check for program updates at startup", you mean at startup of this program (Registry Backup) not Windows startup (so that you add something to run in the registry)?

If I create a schedule in "scheduling options" and close the option, then I open the "Task scheduler" and change "configure for" from: "Windows server 2003, Windows Xp or Windows 2000" to "Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2", then in Scheduling options under settings in registry backup I tried to click on edit it says: Couldn't find Schedule.  Maybe I shouldn't change "configure for" to windows 7?

This work now in 0.9.1!
Backup by using "Task scheduler" doesn't work for me. Then I look in "Process explorer" under taskeng.exe the TweakingRegistryBackup.exe start but it doesn't do anything. I have tried to change options in Task scheduler but nothing helps. I can do a backup manually and "Volume Shadow Copy" works.

This works then I restart the computer!!!
I have noticed when Task schedueler are finished with the backup so I see in Process explorer that the cpu on " TweakingRegistryBackup.exe" are at 25% and vss_start.exe at 0.1% and it doesn't stop.

In "Log_VSS" I see that then I do a backup it deletes all shadow copies:
(Option: Delete all shadow copies)
This will delete all shadow copies in the system. Are you sure? [Y/N]
- Setting the VSS context to: 0xffffffff
- Deleting shadow copy {b312b803-f794-4726-980f-2ddbc21f47a2} on \\?\Volume{ac49bd0f-c993-11e0-a094-806e6f6e6963}\ from provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} [0x0042000d]...

I have used erunt a few weeks ago when things got wrong in the registry and it worked fine. This program seems to be even better and it looks good and are easy to use.   :smiley: :cheesy:

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:15 am »
This work now in 0.9.1!!!
The first time I open "Registry backup" there is only 3 "user registry files", then if I Close and open the program again there is 7 "User registry files"

This was an odd bug. While it got better in 0.9.1 I think I have it fully fixed in 0.9.2.
The program loads an API to get a folder list. For some odd reason at random times the API gets stuck and keeps returning the same folder name. I made my own code to handle it if it does it again. So far so good :-)

It took about 70 sec to backup for me then I backup manually! Thats just an observation, nothing wrong with that time!

Backup times will vary per machine because it is waiting for the volume shadow copy service to make a snapshot.

These three things are rather unimportant but:
Under "Backup Location" if I have checked "Change backup location" and clicked on the button "Choose folder to store backups" I would like it to start at the latest folder that I have choosen.

Under "Backup Location" again if I have checked "Change backup location" and I have clicked on the text and the text cursor are blinking I also would like to write the backup location and be able to create a folder from there not having to go thru the "Explorer".

In "Check for updates" under settings it says, "Check for program updates at startup", you mean at startup of this program (Registry Backup) not Windows startup (so that you add something to run in the registry)?

All fixed for you in v0.9.2 :wink:

If I create a schedule in "scheduling options" and close the option, then I open the "Task scheduler" and change "configure for" from: "Windows server 2003, Windows Xp or Windows 2000" to "Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2", then in Scheduling options under settings in registry backup I tried to click on edit it says: Couldn't find Schedule.  Maybe I shouldn't change "configure for" to windows 7?

Just leave it the default and it will still work fine.

This work now in 0.9.1!
Backup by using "Task scheduler" doesn't work for me. Then I look in "Process explorer" under taskeng.exe the TweakingRegistryBackup.exe start but it doesn't do anything. I have tried to change options in Task scheduler but nothing helps. I can do a backup manually and "Volume Shadow Copy" works.

That was a spelling mistake that I have fixed. I had the program set to use "/silent" and in the schedule I had it "\silent"
I changed the program to support "/silent", "\silent" and "-silent"

This works then I restart the computer!!!
I have noticed when Task schedueler are finished with the backup so I see in Process explorer that the cpu on " TweakingRegistryBackup.exe" are at 25% and vss_start.exe at 0.1% and it doesn't stop.

The program taking up that much is one of 2 things. 1. its doing the file copy, which wont take long. 2. it could have been the bug that is hopefully fixed where it would get stuck in a loop trying to search for folders.

In "Log_VSS" I see that then I do a backup it deletes all shadow copies:
- Deleting shadow copy {b312b803-f794-4726-980f-2ddbc21f47a2} on \\?\Volume{ac49bd0f-c993-11e0-a094-806e6f6e6963}\ from provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} [0x0042000d]...

I have it do this by default for 2 reasons.

1. If a backup failed we want to get rid of the old snapshot.
2. We dont want to use any old snap shots or we may get older files.

0.9.2 is out :cheesy:

v0.9.2
Small bug fix where the program would sometimes get stuck in a loop when loading the treeview.
The backup location setting can now be typed in instead of just using the browse button.
The backup location browse button will now default to what ever backup location is currently set.
Spelling changes.

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:47:50 am »
Ok I have tried 0.9.2 now!

Is there any possibility of choosing whether I want to keep the old files in the shadow copies, because I've been saved by it several times when I have deleted files by mistake.

"The backup location setting can now be typed in instead of just using the browse button."
It doesn't create any folder then I type there.

"The backup location browse button will now default to what ever backup location is currently set."
This works!

"Small bug fix where the program would sometimes get stuck in a loop when loading the treeview."
This seems to work (all the time I have tested)

I have deleted the old schedule and created a new, and then I go to Task Scheduler and run Registry Backup( I haven't rebooted yet) if Registry Backup program is open the vss_start.exe, cmd.exe, vss_7_64.exe, cmd.exe and vss_pause.exe don't use so much cpu, around 0.25%, it makes o backup, but it doesn't stop. And the vss_start.exe isn't under taskeng.exe. If I close Registry Backup vss_start.exe disappears.

If I go to Task Scheduler after closing Registry backup and run Registry Backup the TweakingRegistryBackup.exe starts under taskeng.exe with vss_start.exe, cmd.exe and vss_7_64.exe and vss_7_64.exe uses around 25% cpu but all of them disapperars then they are finished.

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 11:02:53 am »

It will create it when you do a backup :wink:

I have deleted the old schedule and created a new, and then I go to Task Scheduler and run Registry Backup( I haven't rebooted yet) if Registry Backup program is open the vss_start.exe, cmd.exe, vss_7_64.exe, cmd.exe and vss_pause.exe don't use so much cpu, around 0.25%, it makes o backup, but it doesn't stop. And the vss_start.exe isn't under taskeng.exe. If I close Registry Backup vss_start.exe disappears.

If I go to Task Scheduler after closing Registry backup and run Registry Backup the TweakingRegistryBackup.exe starts under taskeng.exe with vss_start.exe, cmd.exe and vss_7_64.exe and vss_7_64.exe uses around 25% cpu but all of them disapperars then they are finished.

When you start the program and click backup the program will run vss_start.exe. This then runs the vss exe for the system. When the snapshot is made the vss_pause.exe runs. This keeps the snap shot.

The vss_start.exe looks if the Registry backup program is running. If it isnt it closes the vss_pause. Which then allows the snap shot to close and be done. At which point you see the rest of the exe's close and vss_start closes itself.

The vss exe that is making the snap shot will uses some cpu as it is building the snap shot.

Once the snap shot is made the program starts copying the files from the snap shot, so you will see the program use as much cpu as it can as it copies the files as fast as it can.

Once everything is done you see everything go back to normal. The vss_start stays running until the backup program is closed. So if you clicked backup again without restarting it the backup would be very fast as the snapshot is still made. :wink:

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 11:26:03 am »
It will create it when you do a backup

It didn't work. I tried to do a backup after I changed the pathway, but it did a backup in the previous one(C:\Reg_Backup\) not in C:\Reg_Backup2\ that I tried.
The next time I open the Registry Backup program it didn't remeber that I wrote in "change backup location".

When you start the program and click backup the program will run vss_start.exe. This then runs the vss exe for the system. When the snapshot is made the vss_pause.exe runs. This keeps the snap shot.

The vss_start.exe looks if the Registry backup program is running. If it isnt it closes the vss_pause. Which then allows the snap shot to close and be done. At which point you see the rest of the exe's close and vss_start closes itself.

The vss exe that is making the snap shot will uses some cpu as it is building the snap shot.

Once the snap shot is made the program starts copying the files from the snap shot, so you will see the program use as much cpu as it can as it copies the files as fast as it can.

Once everything is done you see everything go back to normal. The vss_start stays running until the backup program is closed. So if you clicked backup again without restarting it the backup would be very fast as the snapshot is still made.

Ok I see that now!  :smiley:

Tomas

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 12:35:57 pm »
It didn't work. I tried to do a backup after I changed the pathway, but it did a backup in the previous one(C:\Reg_Backup\) not in C:\Reg_Backup2\ that I tried.
The next time I open the Registry Backup program it didn't remeber that I wrote in "change backup location".

That is because I am a dork lol

Thats what I get for programming before coffee. As soon as I woke up and read your post I started making the changes.

I forgot to put any code behind the text box being typed into. I updated the exe, just redownload it. Still the same version.

I also found the bug Ztruker said he had. The browse button didnt have the flag to set the backup path variable in the program. But when you restarted the program it worked fine.

I fixed that as well. Just had to add this to the browse button, and of course it is also added to the textbox when typing :-)

If Trim$(TextBackupPath.Text) = "" Then
        sBackupPath = App.Path & "\Backups\"
    Else
        sBackupPath = TextBackupPath.Text
    End If

Shane

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 01:39:21 pm »
Hi Shane, thanks for the quick response.

I installed 0.9.2 over 0.9.0 and the selected backup location is now working.

Scheduled task never seems to complete. I deleted the scheduled task, created a new one and will try it again.

This is under Windows 7 Pro X64 on a Dell Precision 370 P4 3.4Ghz (dual threaded), 4GB RAM
Rich

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »
Let me know how the schedule task goes :-)

Shane

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »
It looks like the scheduled backup completed but the task itself never terminated and was stopped when it reached it's max run time which I set to 30 minutes.

I just ran it again by starting it from the Task Scheduler and it ran and completed quickly.

Code: [Select]
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:58 PM 102 Task completed (2) 5d386e9c-22c0-4527-99fa-d684951c8592
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:58 PM 201 Action completed (2) 5d386e9c-22c0-4527-99fa-d684951c8592
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:29 PM 129 Created Task Process Info
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:29 PM 200 Action started (1) 5d386e9c-22c0-4527-99fa-d684951c8592
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:29 PM 100 Task Started (1) 5d386e9c-22c0-4527-99fa-d684951c8592
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:29 PM 319 Task Engine received message to start task (1)
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:29 PM 110 Task triggered by user Info 5d386e9c-22c0-4527-99fa-d684951c8592
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:13 PM 129 Created Task Process Info
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:13 PM 200 Action started (1) 4bceecc6-3749-4aa3-9856-a9a4dc36c762
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:13 PM 100 Task Started (1) 4bceecc6-3749-4aa3-9856-a9a4dc36c762
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:13 PM 319 Task Engine received message to start task (1)
Information 5/19/2012 10:42:13 PM 110 Task triggered by user Info 4bceecc6-3749-4aa3-9856-a9a4dc36c762

I'll try it again from a boot and see what happens.
Rich

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »
Scheduled backup not working correctly or at least not ending. I rebooted at 10:58, here is the Task log:

Information 5/19/2012 10:58:52 PM 129 Created Task Process Info
Information 5/19/2012 10:58:51 PM 200 Action started (1) 79f591a5-e685-4d27-ad3a-14aa4716c9ba
Information 5/19/2012 10:58:51 PM 100 Task Started (1) 79f591a5-e685-4d27-ad3a-14aa4716c9ba
Information 5/19/2012 10:58:51 PM 319 Task Engine received message to start task (1)
Information 5/19/2012 10:58:51 PM 118 Task triggered by computer startup Info 79f591a5-e685-4d27-ad3a-14aa4716c9ba

It has not completed as far as I can tell and it's not 11:15PM.. No new backup in D:\Registry Backups and nothing in Log_Backup.txt to show it';s even started.

Works correctly if I start it from the Task Scheduler under my own account but doesn't seem to run right when run under SYSTEM.
Rich

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 10:15:09 pm »
I know what is happening. In silent mode if the vss service fails to run the program doesn't close. It is set to close after the backup. But if vss fails it doesn't do the backup.

In the next version I will have it to where it will close if it fails as well. :wink:

Run it again from startup and if it doesnt close check the vss_log.txt and let me know what it says if anything.

The logs are deleted and recreated for each backup. So see if the date modified on the file is correct.

The schedule is working on my windows 7 64 bit under system, but I have UAC turned off. Is your UAC on?

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 10:33:55 pm »
The backup location setting can now be typed in instead of just using the browse button.
This work now! :wink:

Is there any possibility to just delete "old snap shots" instead of "delete all shadow copies"?

Tomas

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 10:36:36 pm »
I haven't tested it otherwise. I should :-)

I am making a v0.9.3 right now. I want to find out why Ztruker is having trouble with the schedule.

So I have added a new option to the schedule settings. You can now choose to create the schedule and have it run either under the current user account or the system account.

This way he can have it run under the current user account and he will be able to see the program and find out why it isnt closing :-)

Should have it ready soon. :wink:

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 10:49:09 pm »
Ok done

v0.9.3
Added new options to the schedule settings. You can now choose to have the schedule run under the current user account or the system account.
Small code changes.

So now Ztruker have it run under the current user account and hopefully we can see why it isn't closing :-)

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 11:40:05 pm »
I have tried 0.9.3

I have tried run scheduling options "Run under current user account" and I noticed that Registry Backup program start and closes then it are finished.

When I tried to run scheduling options "Run under System Account" it works like before - invisible (silent).

I also tried 0.9.3 Portable
Works like above

But when I start both versions they don't remeber which "Scheduling Options" I choose last time. I have choosen "System account", but the options that is selected is "Current user account"

Tomas

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 09:52:13 am »
But when I start both versions they don't remeber which "Scheduling Options" I choose last time. I have choosen "System account", but the options that is selected is "Current user account"

That is just for creating a new schedule is all. It isn't reporting which you choose.

But it isn't a big deal to have it remember :-)

I will add it.

Shane

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 10:49:43 am »
Yes, I also have UAC turned off.

This is going to be a large post sorry, but I will include the Log_VSS.txt and Log_Backup.txt files. The Log_VSS.txt concerns me. I hope it is not doing what it says it's doing and actually deleting all shadow copies in the system. ShadowExplorer shows my shadow copy data is still there so this must mean only the Registry Backup data, right?????

Here are the log files. Note that 11:44PM is when I shut down last night so that's when everything magically appeared. All the files must have still been open so were not visible. Might want to explicitly close them when the backup is done.

Log_VSS.txt

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Registry Backup>
CD /D C:\

C:\>
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Registry Backup\files\vss_7_64.exe" -da

VSHADOW.EXE 3.0 - Volume Shadow Copy sample client.
Copyright (C) 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

There are no shadow copies on the system

C:\>"C:\Windows\temp\vss_start.bat"

[This script is generated by VSHADOW.EXE for the shadow set {918d3385-d5a3-4faf-846f-051f3f7d3263}]

B:: The operation completed successfully.

(Option: Generate SETVAR script 'C:\Windows\temp\vss-setvar.cmd')
(Option: Execute binary/script after shadow creation 'C:\Windows\temp\vss.bat')
(Option: Create shadow copy set)
(Gathering writer metadata...)
(Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
Initialize writer metadata ...
Discover directly excluded components ...
- Excluding writer 'MSSearch Service Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
- Excluding writer 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
Discover components that reside outside the shadow set ...
- Component '\BCD\BCD' from writer 'ASR Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires  in the shadow set)
Discover all excluded components ...
Discover excluded writers ...
- The writer 'ASR Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
  (the top-level non-selectable component '\BCD\BCD' is an excluded component)
Discover explicitly included components ...
Verifying explicitly specified writers/components ...
Select explicitly included components ...
 * Writer 'Task Scheduler Writer':
   - Add component \TasksStore
 * Writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer':
   - Add component \WriterMetadataStore
 * Writer 'Performance Counters Writer':
   - Add component \PerformanceCounters
 * Writer 'System Writer':
   - Add component \System Files
 * Writer 'Registry Writer':
   - Add component \Registry
 * Writer 'WMI Writer':
   - Add component \WMI
 * Writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer':
   - Add component \COM+ REGDB
Creating shadow set {918d3385-d5a3-4faf-846f-051f3f7d3263} ...
- Adding volume \\?\Volume{bcbe9ee2-e6d1-11de-8e59-806e6f6e6963}\ [C:\] to the shadow set...
Preparing for backup ...
Creating the shadow (DoSnapshotSet) ...
Shadow copy set succesfully created.

List of created shadow copies:

Querying all shadow copies with the SnapshotSetID {918d3385-d5a3-4faf-846f-051f3f7d3263} ...

* SNAPSHOT ID = {959ce2f7-e162-4aad-8cbb-6380faa808bd} ...
   - Shadow copy Set: {918d3385-d5a3-4faf-846f-051f3f7d3263}
   - Original count of shadow copies = 1
   - Original Volume name: \\?\Volume{bcbe9ee2-e6d1-11de-8e59-806e6f6e6963}\ [C:\]
   - Creation Time: 5/20/2012 11:44:26 AM
   - Shadow copy device name: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1
   - Originating machine: Dell-P370
   - Service machine: Dell-P370
   - Not Exposed
   - Provider id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   - Attributes:  Auto_Release Differential

Generating the SETVAR script (C:\Windows\temp\vss-setvar.cmd) ...
- Executing command 'C:\Windows\temp\vss.bat' ...
-----------------------------------------------------
- Mark all writers as succesfully backed up...
Completing the backup (BackupComplete) ...

Snapshot creation done.

[11:44:55 AM] Closed. No longer reading pipes.
[11:44:55 AM] Error: 402 - Not processing a command to cancel.
[11:44:55 AM] Error: 402 - Not processing a command to cancel.

Log_Backup.txt:
Waiting for Volume Shadow Copy...

Auto Delete Old Backups Enabled, Working...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Backup...
Backup Location: D:\Registry Backup\

Files To Backup:
C:\Windows\System32\Config\default
C:\Windows\System32\Config\sam
C:\Windows\System32\Config\security
C:\Windows\System32\Config\software
C:\Windows\System32\Config\system
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
C:\Users\Administrator\ntuser.dat
C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat
C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
C:\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat
C:\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
C:\Users\rrkurtz\ntuser.dat
C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
C:\Users\UpdatusUser\ntuser.dat
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\ntuser.dat
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\ntuser.dat

Backing Up Files...:
Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\default
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Windows\System32\Config\default

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\sam
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Windows\System32\Config\sam

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\security
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Windows\System32\Config\security

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\software
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Windows\System32\Config\software

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\system
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Windows\System32\Config\system

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Administrator\ntuser.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\Administrator\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\Default\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\rrkurtz\ntuser.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\rrkurtz\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\ntuser.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Users\UpdatusUser\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\ntuser.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\ntuser.dat
Result: Successful - D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_11.44.42-AM\C\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\ntuser.dat

One change I would strongly suggest is to time stamp each log entry so you know how long it's taking to do things.

I'll try 0.9.3 and run under my account, see what happens.
Rich

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 11:03:01 am »
Installed 0.9.3 and it says it failed.

Here are the log files:

Log_Backup.txt:

Waiting for Volume Shadow Copy...

Auto Delete Old Backups Enabled, Working...
Starting Backup...
Backup Location: D:\Registry Backup\
Files To Backup:
C:\Windows\System32\Config\default
C:\Windows\System32\Config\sam
C:\Windows\System32\Config\security
C:\Windows\System32\Config\software
C:\Windows\System32\Config\system
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
C:\Users\Administrator\ntuser.dat
C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat
C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
C:\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat
C:\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
C:\Users\rrkurtz\ntuser.dat
C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat
C:\Users\UpdatusUser\ntuser.dat
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\ntuser.dat
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\ntuser.dat

Backing Up Files...:
Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\default
Result: Failed - Error: 0: The operation completed successfully.

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\sam

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\security

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\software

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\System32\Config\system

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Administrator\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\Guest\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\rrkurtz\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\rrkurtz\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Users\UpdatusUser\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\ntuser.dat

Backing Up File: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\ntuser.dat

Log_VSS.txt:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

E:\sources\Registry Tools\Registry Backup - tweaking.com>
CD /D C:\

C:\>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Registry Backup\files\vss_7_64.exe" -da

- Deleting shadow copy {7308fad1-040b-4fd1-b045-516c71c8f33d} on \\?\Volume{bcbe9ede-e6d1-11de-8e59-806e6f6e6963}\ from provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} [0x0042000d]...
- Deleting shadow copy {f2dd77a7-2e20-4c01-a028-4ec6f8190164} on \\?\Volume{bcbe9edf-e6d1-11de-8e59-806e6f6e6963}\ from provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} [0x0042000d]...
- Deleting shadow copy {03e34211-4705-40df-81f1-9328873b9e70} on \\?\Volume{bcbe9ee2-e6d1-11de-8e59-806e6f6e6963}\ from provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} [0x0042000d]...

C:\>"C:\Windows\temp\vss_start.bat"

[This script is generated by VSHADOW.EXE for the shadow set {918d3385-d5a3-4faf-846f-051f3f7d3263}]

(Option: Generate SETVAR script 'C:\Windows\temp\vss-setvar.cmd')
(Option: Execute binary/script after shadow creation 'C:\Windows\temp\vss.bat')
(Option: Create shadow copy set)
(Gathering writer metadata...)
Initialize writer metadata ...
Discover directly excluded components ...
- Excluding writer 'BITS Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
- Excluding writer 'MSSearch Service Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
- Excluding writer 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
Discover components that reside outside the shadow set ...
- Component '\BCD\BCD' from writer 'ASR Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires  in the shadow set)
Discover all excluded components ...
Discover excluded writers ...
- The writer 'ASR Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
  (the top-level non-selectable component '\BCD\BCD' is an excluded component)
Discover explicitly included components ...
Verifying explicitly specified writers/components ...
Select explicitly included components ...
 * Writer 'Task Scheduler Writer':
   - Add component \TasksStore
 * Writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer':
   - Add component \WriterMetadataStore
 * Writer 'Performance Counters Writer':
   - Add component \PerformanceCounters
 * Writer 'System Writer':
   - Add component \System Files
 * Writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer':
   - Add component \COM+ REGDB
 * Writer 'WMI Writer':
   - Add component \WMI
 * Writer 'Registry Writer':
   - Add component \Registry
Creating shadow set {eeb3c839-bd43-4f54-8d2a-dd8300af379e} ...
- Adding volume \\?\Volume{bcbe9ee2-e6d1-11de-8e59-806e6f6e6963}\ [C:\] to the shadow set...
Preparing for backup ...
Creating the shadow (DoSnapshotSet) ...
Shadow copy set succesfully created.

List of created shadow copies:

Querying all shadow copies with the SnapshotSetID {eeb3c839-bd43-4f54-8d2a-dd8300af379e} ...

* SNAPSHOT ID = {e00067a4-dc2d-45dd-a8b3-d6d714edaeca} ...
   - Shadow copy Set: {eeb3c839-bd43-4f54-8d2a-dd8300af379e}
   - Original count of shadow copies = 1
   - Original Volume name: \\?\Volume{bcbe9ee2-e6d1-11de-8e59-806e6f6e6963}\ [C:\]
   - Creation Time: 5/20/2012 1:54:57 PM
   - Shadow copy device name: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5
   - Originating machine: Dell-P370
   - Service machine: Dell-P370
   - Not Exposed
   - Provider id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   - Attributes:  Auto_Release Differential

Generating the SETVAR script (C:\Windows\temp\vss-setvar.cmd) ...
- Executing command 'C:\Windows\temp\vss.bat' ...
- Mark all writers as succesfully backed up...
Completing the backup (BackupComplete) ...

Snapshot creation done.

[1:57:47 PM] Closed. No longer reading pipes.
[1:57:47 PM] Error: 402 - Not processing a command to cancel.
[1:57:47 PM] Error: 402 - Not processing a command to cancel.
Rich

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 11:06:45 am »
That shows that every worked like it should :-)

But as both of you have mentioned the program deletes old snap shots before it runs. I did this to remove any snap shots it might have made but didn't close. But I just realized this isnt a good idea.

What if another program is running at the same time that is using a snap shot of its own? Like another backup program?

I cant have it removing the snap shot now can I?  :wink:

So I removed it from deleting old snap shots.

So same version, just re download it and install over your current one. You will see the vss_start.exe has a date modified of today.

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 11:09:48 am »
Ztruker,

The new quick update will no longer delete old snap shots so grab it.

I will work on adding times to the log files. Also right now I have the log files get over written. I am wondering if I should have the log files save with the backups, this way a log of each backup can be kept, what do you think?

Also the errors you showed. The log shows that the snap shot got created but the copy failed for some reason and it isnt showing the error why.

I will see if I can improve the error reporting so we can see why it didnt copy the files over.

When both of these are done I will put v0.9.4 out :wink:

Shane

Offline Ztruker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 11:19:42 am »
Thanks Shane. I like the idea of keeping the log files with the snapshot.

Edit: I just checked and nothing under D:\Registry Backup\DELL-P370\5.20.2012_1.55.04-PM\C was created, neither under Users or Windows. The folder structure is there but no data.

Edit #2: I ran the above under my account. Just tried it under System and get the same failure.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:32:42 am by Ztruker »
Rich