Author Topic: My log results- Tweaking All in One -SOLVED  (Read 6734 times)

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
My log results- Tweaking All in One -SOLVED
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:13:59 pm »
Hi Shane,

Thanks so much for agreeing to look at these logs.

Since I am brand new to this, I just want to make sure all looks fine to you or if there's a problem I need to fix. This way, hopefully, I will know what I am doing in the future.

If all seems okay to you, can I delete the backup logs too?

I also ran the Simple Tweaking tool-did not do any of the visual tweaks as I like those toys for now lol.

Do you think I would also benefit from the CleanMem program?

I have: 250GB SSD and a 2nd 1TB HDD (used to store my docs/pics/music etc) in my laptop and 32GB of RAM. If it can help unburden the pagefile and keep memory doing most the work, then maybe I should?

If all systems go, I will then attempt to install my Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection again (finally).

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:04:14 pm by ComputerJunkie »
Dell Precision M4600
Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz CPU
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Intel HD Graphics 3000 / NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
Intel Centrino WiMAX 6250
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: My log results- Tweaking All in One
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:29:34 pm »
Logs look fine, and to be honest, with 32 GB of ram you could just turn off the page file.

I have 12 GB of ram and I keep my page file off, the only time I turn it back on is if I get a blue screen and I need it recorded. Otherwise my system always has enough memory and so I find my system is much better without the page file.

Yes some people say you need to have it enabled, some dont. I say try it, and if anything doesnt seem right just enable it back on. But for me I have never had a single problem with it off, mainly because I never run out of memory.

As for my cleanmem, I run it on my system anyways, just because I dont like memory leaks in my programs and so I like to just have it keep the system clean of that.

Shane

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
Re: My log results- Tweaking All in One
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:03:58 pm »
Thanks for checking my logs and thanks for the pagefile advice-I have read a lot of the conflicting debates over it but since you have had actual experience with it, I am going with you on turning it off! I will watch for any funny business from it being shut off too. I think I will get that CheckMem too then.

FINALLY someone who is human and I can talk to in plain English. Where were you all my computer life???

Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: My log results- Tweaking All in One -SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 04:53:10 pm »
FINALLY someone who is human and I can talk to in plain English. Where were you all my computer life???

Fixing computers lol

I read the same things you did about the page file. And honestly what it comes down to, as what most things do, is the current setup and situation. Every machine is different with a unlimited amount of variables. What works for one may not work for another. This is true for everything across the board in Windows. There is ALWAYS more than one option.

The page file is old tech, it was made because systems years and years ago didn't have that much memory and memory was expensive! I remember when it was around $3 per MB of memory. (Mid 90's I think)

So the page file was made and used, memory got filled up or Windows needed to make room in memory it moved it to the page file, which is the virtual memory. Now it could handle as much as it needed. But the draw back is the page file runs off of the hard drive, which is normally one of the slowest components in the system. After all todays memory can do 10+ GB a second. Normally hard drives can do maybe 100 MB/s and thats on one large file. SSD drives have made this way, way better but again, still no close to the speeds in memory itself.

So Since I dont have any problem at all of running out of memory I turn the page file off. I never have trouble on my system and all the programs and games I use never have a problem. Mainly because there isnt very many programs out there that require anything with a page file.

Some people freak out thinking, "You have to have a page file, its there for a reason!" but at the same time, if Windows had to have one, they wouldn't give you the option of turning it off.

I am on a 64 BIt system so it can access and use all the memory I have. If a user was on 32 Bit I dont think they would be able to handle as much without a page file because of the 3GB memory limit of 32bit. So even if you had 32 GB of ram Windows 32bit could only use 3GB of it. But 64bit its limit is into the Terabytes, so not really a problem and why you wont see any kind of 128bit any time soon lol

64 bit was only made to get over that 3GB limit.

Also, to be honest, my system is faster having it off. Because even though you still have tons of memory Windows will still move memory to the page file that it thinks is old and hasn't been used in a while. So no matter what you have that page file on the drive, and it can be BIG, so now you have a little slow down waiting for Windows to finish reading or writing to it.

Ever since I turned mine off my system has been WAY snappier and faster to respond, and programs load faster. Not because of the page file itself, but because the page file runs off the hard drive :wink:

Shane

Offline ComputerJunkie

• View Profile
Re: My log results- Tweaking All in One -SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 07:27:37 pm »
I can see the reasoning in that and it is logical to me so I am with you!

Oh man! 128-bit, that would be a racer's dream! LOL

I also decided to do a little test and I opened all my Adobe programs up, Outlook, Visual Studio, did a bit of surfing and so on, and I peaked just under 12GB of RAM, using the new CleanMem monitor I bought from you last night. :-) And I did read something in just the last 2-3 days that you reminded me of, that there is still a pagefile in there somewhere. So I am very happy to let my RAM do it's job. Thanks!

Dell Precision M4600
16GB RAM
1920x1080 Display
Integrated Web Cam
Windows 7 Professional