Author Topic: DEAR MBAM - I have a question...  (Read 14369 times)

Offline Rick

• View Profile
DEAR MBAM - I have a question...
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:53:00 am »
At what point is a program Ransom-ware?

your idea not to allow updates unless we PAY MONEY is ransom-ware.

Please fix your software

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
Re: DEAR MBAM - I have a question...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:18:39 am »
update what ? updating the Virus definitions or the program itself ?  :smiley: you should ask them here too https://forums.malwarebytes.org/

if you mean to updating the Virus definitions you can use both mbam free/Premium version and got a free Virus definitions/ free program upgraded for the program with no cost !
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:23:38 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 05:10:54 am »
Sounds like you selected the "Trial" version rather than the "Free" version on install?

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:33:43 am »
Sounds like you selected the "Trial" version rather than the "Free" version on install?

It is what it is...

If MBAM had a conscience, they will enable it to revert back to the free version!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 07:50:06 am »
If you are running the trial Premium version then you will need to uninstall it and reinstall the free version - remembering to uncheck that option.

I run the free version of MBAM and it updates fine when I have it manually check for updates to bring it up to date.

The Premium version is an active scanner and while it seems to run okay alongside actual AV programs, I prefer not to run that version alongside my Norton 360 - I had enough problems with the free version last year when they updated that - and there's the cost of paying for a program that works just as well in its freebie edition.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:51:40 am »
I had enough problems with the free version last year when they updated that-

I reverted back to v1.75 on one of my really old machines, just be sure to unselect program update in the settings tab, defs are still updated.

v 1.75 available here.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/14815/

I also run the current (free) version on newer (but still very low spec machines with no problems), perhaps the bugs have been ironed out?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 11:47:55 am »
I am actually going to be removing the malwarebytes tab in the windows repair program. I will be coming out with the pro version so and I need the space, that and I am starting to move away from malwarebytes. Ever since v2.0 came out it has never been as good.

Shane

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 05:09:05 pm »
Add my voice with all of you, I think I will uninstall this crap version of mbam !  :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 05:16:54 pm »
I've never been keen on the new version of MBAM because it takes a lot longer to run the basic scan than 1.75 did, but it's at least something.

Can you give me a link for 1.75 and does it still get Definition updates ?

I also have SAS installed and Norton Power Eraser, but you have to click the Advanced button to run the non-Rootkit NPE scan as that can be too aggressive and take out legit programs.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 05:31:54 pm »
I've never been keen on the new version of MBAM because it takes a lot longer to run the basic scan than 1.75 did, but it's at least something.

yup the new version of MBAM it took longer to scanning our system’s so they crappy support will let you know the problem it was your HDD!  look as in my topic https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/158961-scanning-long-time/ and yeah here we go a download link for the older version http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp_en/

and ver x 2 very bad design  :wink: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/158874-ver-x-2-very-bad-design/  :smiley:

I also have SAS installed and Norton Power Eraser, but you have to click the Advanced button to run the non-Rootkit NPE scan as that can be too aggressive and take out legit programs.

yeah for SUPERAntiSpyware it have no good malware detection its Boring detection and bad support too ! :smiley: and for Norton Power Eraser it a Falsely positive scanner  :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:37:24 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:53 pm »

the problem is, it auto updates to the new version  :rolleyes:

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 01:14:38 am »

See my earlier post. You should disable program updates in the settings tab  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:27:48 am by Samson »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 03:09:32 am »

See my earlier post. You should disable program updates in the settings tab  :wink:

yeah that’s what i have done a day ago by revert back to The previous version, and now the quick scans take a little time then version 2  :wink:

a screenshot now and before  :smiley: Ps : other screenshot in link of my Reply #9 on  :tongue:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:11:31 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 04:57:05 am »
Hi Gamez,

Circle back to the first post on this thread. Looks like you have installed the "Trial" version  :rolleyes:

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 08:55:08 am »
Hi Gamez,

Circle back to the first post on this thread. Looks like you have installed the "Trial" version  :rolleyes:

hi Samson  :smiley:

correct I’m using a trial version  :smiley: Quick question? What do you think about flash scan of Mbam version 1  :wink: see my screenshot

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:10 am »

correct I’m using a trial version  :smiley: Quick question? What do you think about flash scan of Mbam version 1  :wink: see my screenshot

Never used it myself, as it's only available to licensed users, and I'm just a "freebie" guy  :wink:

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 11:37:34 am »

Never used it myself, as it's only available to licensed users, and I'm just a "freebie" guy  :wink:

aha , then you never use the trial mode of Mbam to test how the scanning of version 1 is fast then version 2 ?  :wink: