Main Forum > General Computer Support

Malware cleanup fun

(1/5) > >>

megagold5:
Hi,
I have been have been doing various cleanup operations from a Malware issue I had the other day and am down to (as fas as I can tell) the final problem. The issue is that I cannot get Windows network discovery (and thus media streaming etc.) to turn on at all. When I try to, it just turns itself off again straight away. Yesterday, I was unable to get ANY media streaming services to run (Nero MediaHome, XBMC etc.) although those appear to now be working again.

I have run your all-in-one repair tool (which successfully fixed Windows Firewall, but did appear to screw up DHCP on my LAN connection, which I sorted out). An excellnt tool, I must say, although it did get hung up for about 12 hours on resetting file permissions.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

FYI, I am running Win7 64bit.

Shane:
When you try to run media streaming services have you checked the event viewer for any errors?

Shane

megagold5:
Thanks for the reply.

There is nothing that I can see in the system log.
The Network Discovery option in Advanced sharing settings is off, when I switch it to on, go back to network settings, then back to advanced and check it, it has turned itself off. Furthermore, in the Media Streaming section of advanced settings, it says that Media Streaming is on, but when I click it, it says it is off and pressing the button to turn it on does nothing.

If it is any help, I found another thread about this issue suggesting the problem was with the SharedAccess service. I could not find this service in my list, so I installed it using the file you provided. I now have the service, but it will not start (claims it started, then stopped).

Shane:
Odd that nothing for the services are showing up in the event viewer.

The repair firewall should have put the shared access reg keys back in as well. Shared access is need for the Windows firewall as well.

If no errors are being reported for the exes to be closing then I wonder if there might be a rootkit on the system that is killing the services still?

Have you tried tdsskiller.exe or combofix.exe yet?

Shane

megagold5:
Nope, I will give them both a go now. I did run MalwareBytes, Avast and Microsoft's malware removal tool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version