Author Topic: Microsoft Office ~ lost insert hyperlink option in excel on right click  (Read 14451 times)

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Would like to reset so that when I open an old workbook, it works

thanks in advance

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Re: Microsoft Office ~ lost insert hyperlink option in excel on right click
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:07:01 pm »
Would like to reset so that when I open an old workbook, it works

thanks in advance

Image Attached

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:47:43 pm »
It is usually caused by some add on or macro residing in the start up .  You could try to delete the add on using excel options and then click add on to see the recent add on to disable.

The alternative to this , or as immediate fix,
                                 control+k, would lead you to the opening of hyperlink . Say if it works.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:47:12 am »
When you open an old workbook is it a xls file or a xlsx file? In other words is the old file the old excel format?

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:31:40 am »
When you open an old workbook is it a xls file or a xlsx file? In other words is the old file the old excel format?

Shane

I'm still using excel 2003; I see no reason to update and learn all over again...

is it an xlsx fie, I created it on my desktop; it is n xls file

sure, Control K works, but I prefer to maintain the system so as to know when to look for an infection...
no, it is not any macro issue

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 05:45:02 am »
Did you opt for repair of MS office. This will fix most problems.
                     Go to control Panel, Locate Microsoft office, right click, instead of uninstall select Repair. Wait for repairs to take. It will repair from your installation of ms office folder.
                           If this is not then you have to go to the Registry and do something, which i will tell if this does not fix. It usually fix.
                                  In your computer , search for startup and then see any unwanted programs using your excel is there. If anything unwanted is noted there, then delete those. Some pdf converter, make inroads to your ms office files and by their macro changes the settings as per their choice, written by them. If any thing is noted just delete in startup folder. Regarding registry fix, i will tell later

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:32:50 pm »
Did you opt for repair of MS office. This will fix most problems.
                     Go to control Panel, Locate Microsoft office, right click, instead of uninstall select Repair. Wait for repairs to take. It will repair from your installation of ms office folder.
                           If this is not then you have to go to the Registry and do something, which i will tell if this does not fix. It usually fix.
                                  In your computer , search for startup and then see any unwanted programs using your excel is there. If anything unwanted is noted there, then delete those. Some pdf converter, make inroads to your ms office files and by their macro changes the settings as per their choice, written by them. If any thing is noted just delete in startup folder. Regarding registry fix, i will tell later

J,  resetting everything is not a good idea... it is better to amend the singular problem rather than definitely create more.

if you know the registry fix, thanks in advance

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:19 pm »
OK, let me confirm.

New xlsx format works when you create it. But the old xls format doesnt work, correct?

If so then that would be simple as the new format of xlsx is the 2007 format and has a lot more options than the old format xls.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338205%28v=office.12%29.aspx

If that is the case then all you need to do is open a old xls file, go to file and save as and then save it as a xlsx file to have it save in the new format.

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 05:52:59 am »
OK, let me confirm.

New xlsx format works when you create it. But the old xls format doesnt work, correct?

If so then that would be simple as the new format of xlsx is the 2007 format and has a lot more options than the old format xls.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338205%28v=office.12%29.aspx

If that is the case then all you need to do is open a old xls file, go to file and save as and then save it as a xlsx file to have it save in the new format.

Shane

the reason i don't want to try save it to xlsx? if i open a new file in 2003, works fine...
i am using excel 2003;
we need understand why, what changed in that file... therefore, repairing the issue is the only solution

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »
It is something with the file itself, not excel. If it was excel it wouldn't be working on the new files either.

So when ever there is a problem with a file it is best to back up the file and then export it or save it as a new file type or even as a new file as the same type, just so that you force excel to save it in a proper format.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 02:12:53 am »
Hi, Rick,
You could create the hyperlink in the top of the excel program on opening.
                  Just do this
                               Open Excel and then click the top most home icon to get the excel options. Ok.
                                   Then select customize in the left side.
                                          A window browser opens allowing to see the available menu.
                                                 Select insert hyperlink in the left pane and then press add to the right pane to the existing default menu.
                                           Close the excel options. Open again the excel program. Your hyperlink icon will be there at the top most left as an added item. If you click, you get the hyperlink menu as normal.
                                              I will try to include the same missing menu in the right click when opening on excel.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:14:28 am by jraju »

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:07:26 am »
Hi, Rick,
You could create the hyperlink in the top of the excel program on opening.
                  Just do this
                               Open Excel and then click the top most home icon to get the excel options. Ok.
                                   Then select customize in the left side.
                                          A window browser opens allowing to see the available menu.
                                                 Select insert hyperlink in the left pane and then press add to the right pane to the existing default menu.
                                           Close the excel options. Open again the excel program. Your hyperlink icon will be there at the top most left as an added item. If you click, you get the hyperlink menu as normal.
                                              I will try to include the same missing menu in the right click when opening on excel.

I re-installed everything AGAIN...

Only one fact here, MSFT has severe problems when doing a repair of Office, it should seperate what we want repaired... when repair all, it also messes up the outlook file too, you know, the one we need to make money to buy more MSFT software...

Since re-install, somehow, the right click menu works again...