Author Topic: Hello, I need to create a vista repair disk  (Read 36400 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Hello, I need to create a vista repair disk
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 04:06:26 am »
Hi, Boggin.
                     I also had the same problem. Imgburn shows that it completed successfully. But when i tried to pass those to usb, i get error, such as not a valid iso file, not iso 9660. I checked then in the imgburn. It was written on udf format. One clue is you could try iso juliet udf format in imgburn.
                           Please tell the procedure,how you tried to boot thro usb. You have to give some command to create partition in the pen drive. I know that you would have done those things. If not, i will give you the method as learnt from surfing thro the nets .
                                 I have tried windows usb tool, which lacks something. It also stops at the close, because of some needy files for bootable usb.
                                 If it could immediately alert, it will be nice. But going thro the progress bar and at 99 percent , i got the error. windows cannot copy error.
             Update: I even tried with AV disabled, but could not copy to usb
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:08:58 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 05:29:37 am »
I successfully created a bootable disk using Windows USB/DVD burner - it went the full 100% and popped the disk player drawer when it finished, so for me that confirms it's a good ISO, unlike the disk player on this laptop.

I don't want to risk seeing if it will boot up on this Win 7 machine, so don't know if it will actually work.

I've only ever created one bootable USB and that was for Win 7 - more to see if it would work than have an alternative bootable media, but the USB needed to be formatted to NTFS before the Windows tool would "burn" the ISO and then it created it without any problems.

When I tried booting with the USB, I just changed the boot order to USB but had to wait for it to appear in the boot order next to the USB option before I hit enter and it booted up okay with it - didn't even get a prompt to press any key like you do when you use a DVD.

The file size in my Downloads folder for the ISO is 3,167,396KB but when I previously used ImgBurn it was showing as 3,23 something during the burn.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:41:58 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 05:16:07 am »
Hi, Boggins,
                          have you been able to boot the win 7 using usb. Your saying is natural, the pen drive does not have any thing like alert as cd dvd when we try to install. So, it is natural once it is chosen, it directly loads the windows, first by copying files thro white bar.
                                If you are able to boot with it ok. But the problem is i also tried what you have tried but it stops at 99 percent. Did you check the format of file imgburn burnt? what was the file. Even i tried to convert the imgburn udf iso to iso 9660 format, but on using windows tool, you get error exactly at the finishing stage..
                                        But after so much trial and error, i found the method. Even i tried another tool and it says some other errors. First we have to create a partition on the pen drive to make it work.It is a simple process. If you have succeded in iso, then ok. Otherwise, i will give you a different method. It was success for me. I have been able to run the win 7 after trials from dvd. The dvd player is not at all at fault, but the error message is the wrong one. If you still has trouble, i will give the details.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 07:56:23 am »
After getting the same error message when trying to burn another Win 7 bootable disk, I created one using ImgBurn and it wouldn't boot - it recognised the DVD but couldn't read anything on the disk as it said 4.38 GB free of 4.38GB.

For some reason or other it wouldn't boot up with a previously made bootable Win 7 disk that it would before but did with another.

The first one of those two worked fine on my other laptop - anyway, I've taken it in for repair under the extended warranty, so I'll see what they find.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 12:58:18 am »
hello,
                   I found out the link. I have done without hope but i have succeeded in booting thro usb from old machine. But you are having options to boot from usb in bios priority menu and so there will be no problem for you. It involves no iso copying. copying the whole thing.
              The method is
first insert your 4 gb or more pen drive . Go to elevated command prompt and type these commands. the following will be easy to understand
C:\Windows\system32>diskpart
Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7000
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer:----
Fistly type Diskpart and enter
DISKPART> list disk
  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          149 GB      0 B
  Disk 1    Online         3834 MB      0 B  pen drive disk to be selected based on size
DISKPART> select disk 1
Disk 1 is now the selected disk.
DISKPART> clean
DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.
DISKPART> create partition primary
DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.
DISKPART> format fs=fat32 quick
  100 percent completed
DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.
DISKPART> active
DiskPart marked the current partition as active.
DISKPART> exit
Leaving DiskPart...
C:\Windows\system32>exit
. Then insert your dvd in to the drive.
open the installation dvd. Select all copy and send to pen drive.
It will work 100% without fail. If your cd drive is pucca. Moreover, while installing windows, you could be amazed at the speed in extracting from usb. Usb is safe and you need not bother about scratching.
                  The copying will take some time to copy 3 gb. insert the pendrive. Shut down and reboot. Then just select the priority to boot from usb in the bios, if you have. If that is not, please download plbt iso, a third party program,  which will give you a screen menu from cd, if you boot from cd first,which will have usb as a choice menu. If you click that one, it will boot from pen drive.
                             Shane, it has taken about 3 to 4 days of surfing the net to get this wonderful solution. Enjoy boggins. Say whether you are succeeding in creating a bootable usb.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:42 am »
Yes, I knew about Diskpart - didn't have much luck using it though.

Have successfully created a bootable USB using Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool, but as I've said - had to format it to NTFS first as I was prompted.

I'm waiting for Rick to get back to see if he's had any better luck in downloading the ISO after changing DNS servers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:49:36 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 09:17:24 pm »
Hi, Boggins
                          the diskpart commands , i gave would definitely solve the problem of  booting the OS from usb. It is 100%sure. you would have attempted all the commands. Some even gave bootrec exe line in the command. They never worked for me. But making it as active in the last line of command worked for me. Moreover, you need not have to burn the iso of the OS files. Just copy the disc contents, to the pen drive. No third party tools to create a bootable usb.
                                  If Rick has the dvd he could do. Otherwise, he could copy the files from the downloaded link. Using ultra iso, open the file contents copy the same to the usb, by following these commands. When we create iso, the speed , the format and other things are not a worry here. You need just to copy the installation disk contents. Mere copying does this.
                                          After so much trials i came to this solution. You could try to burn the same with your contents and not iso. regarding updates, you could later have it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 01:01:32 am »
But Rick can't even download the ISO as it keeps getting disrupted.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 03:00:42 pm »
Yes, I knew about Diskpart - didn't have much luck using it though.

Have successfully created a bootable USB using Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool, but as I've said - had to format it to NTFS first as I was prompted.

I'm waiting for Rick to get back to see if he's had any better luck in downloading the ISO after changing DNS servers.

No, no luck with that...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 03:03:00 pm »
What exactly is happening when you try to download the ISO ?

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 03:09:08 pm »
I had no trouble getting the file from there. They are not hacked versions so MS doesnt normally care, after all they provided Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 for download. They just never did with vista for some reason. But as long as they are untouched they dont seem to care.

It is very possible the ISP didnt download completely, which can happen, its a BIG file and if your connection drops or has trouble it will be a problem.

So instead what I do is I have the hashtab tool installed on my system and I can right click on a file and get the md5 or what ever I want of a file, then I can tell if the file downloaded all the way because it should the MD5 should match.

On the page here you will see they list the MD5 hash of each file
https://sites.google.com/site/gamejavame/home/may-tinh/downloadwinxpwin7win81linkduynhat

So if you grabbed this one en_windows_vista_sp2_x86_dvd_342266 then you should check if the MD5 hash of the iso you downloaded matches MD5: 19CA90A425667812977BAB6F4CE24175

If you need the hastab tool you can grab it here
http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/

Shane

See reference when click the link

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 03:19:29 pm »
Polaris Office appears to be a program to read your Office docs from other devices - do you have it listed in Programs and Features ?

If it's a malicious proxy, in IE go Tools cog - Internet options - Connections - LAN settings and ensure only the top box for Automatically detect settings is checked.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 10:27:08 pm »
ftp://137.164.227.75/Tech_Software/Microsoft/en_windows_vista_x86_dvd_X12-34293.iso
 This is a link , i copied from my digital life forum.
                       They have much more download links. If rick has laptop, normally those are available in manufacturer site. They have update of drivers and softwares, which include the OS bootable versions and instructions how to do about.
                             Otherwise, he could get the dvd from others and then copy those things and copy the same things in his pendrive using the command lines and instructions i have given in my post. Of course, the key has to be available for correct installation.
                              The size of the installation disk is over 2.5 g.b and there is bound to be problem in downloading without internet interruptions.
                          Hi, boggins were you able to create bootable usb dvd on the lines above. Polaris office as you say is not connected with any windows download link. I think, he has got google redirect virus affecting his system, so , it goes to other links if he clicks the original link. I have created a usb bootable for my friend to day. Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 02:10:38 am »
The SP2 ISO is 3.09GB so the one you have linked will be just bare bones.

Some earlier Win 7 machines didn't have the ability to boot from an USB drive so it's unlikely a Vista machine would have that capability, but Rick can let us know if that is the case.

Given the scans that Rick has run, it's difficult to believe is machine is infected with anything but a Proxy could still be there in IE - again, we'll have to wait for Rick to get back on that.

As far as I know I was able to create a bootable Vista DVD but having a Vista machine to check it out, don't know if it will work and I didn't have a spare USB to create a bootable USB.

I've forgotten to ask Rick if he's able to download anything else as the inability to do that is usually a sure sign of infection.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 02:37:46 am »
Hi,
                    boggins. I know that. I even have older machine but my machine supports win 7 ultimate. I know that there will be no boot priority menu in those cases. There is a fix and i prescribed in my post. i will attach the iso, if it could be attached or give the link to the download link.
                          You have to just copy the iso to your or working windows and then burn by imgburn to burn to a cd of 700 mb.   Insert the usb in the usb slot 2.0. If it fails then it means 3.0 port  and you have to replace the port and insert the usb. Then select cd drive as the boot priority. Powering on the computer, you will get a screen in the monitor, a screen having a set of options . Just press the down arrow to select the usb in it and then press enter key. Now, it will automatically load the windows loading screen. Ok. This i have done to my computer and it worked.
                               There are supported drivers which one has to have as i already mentioned for the hard disk. If those are not there, then you get load drivers errors. I have given solution to that also in my post . I will give the link for benefit of users.

Please see the link and you know, how to get the vista.
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22676/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver
This is the link for f6fply x86 zip. This should be copied to pendrive (other pendrive) and then when booting from install dvd, when getting load drivers error, pl select browse and then select the pendrive and select the zip file, it will show you the drivers, you have to select the missing drivers if you know or select all the drivers and click next, it will start downloading all the drivers and allow you to install the windows system. these are drivers for xp, by f6key. So this name. In windows 7 or vista, you could select the file when you are prompted to load driver errors.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:21:07 am by jraju »

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 06:59:58 am »
Hi,
                    boggins. I know that. I even have older machine but my machine supports win 7 ultimate. I know that there will be no boot priority menu in those cases. There is a fix and i prescribed in my post. i will attach the iso, if it could be attached or give the link to the download link.
                          You have to just copy the iso to your or working windows and then burn by imgburn to burn to a cd of 700 mb.   Insert the usb in the usb slot 2.0. If it fails then it means 3.0 port  and you have to replace the port and insert the usb. Then select cd drive as the boot priority. Powering on the computer, you will get a screen in the monitor, a screen having a set of options . Just press the down arrow to select the usb in it and then press enter key. Now, it will automatically load the windows loading screen. Ok. This i have done to my computer and it worked.
                               There are supported drivers which one has to have as i already mentioned for the hard disk. If those are not there, then you get load drivers errors. I have given solution to that also in my post . I will give the link for benefit of users.

Please see the link and you know, how to get the vista.
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22676/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver
This is the link for f6fply x86 zip. This should be copied to pendrive (other pendrive) and then when booting from install dvd, when getting load drivers error, pl select browse and then select the pendrive and select the zip file, it will show you the drivers, you have to select the missing drivers if you know or select all the drivers and click next, it will start downloading all the drivers and allow you to install the windows system. these are drivers for xp, by f6key. So this name. In windows 7 or vista, you could select the file when you are prompted to load driver errors.

Now if we can only get them to make one for vista :)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 07:04:25 am »
Have you found anything on your computer relating to polarisoffice.com or that the Proxy box in IE wasn't checked ?

And are you able to download any other programs ?

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 07:06:52 am »
Have you found anything on your computer relating to polarisoffice.com or that the Proxy box in IE wasn't checked ?

other programs ok...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

researching this as a final addition
http://wudt.codeplex.com/

and this burn method tool here to create the install disk

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/imgburn,1.html

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:50:54 am by Rick »

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 07:20:29 am »

does this link work for you?
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-burn-downloaded-windows-vista-to-dvd/

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2015, 07:28:05 am »
I use the Windows USB/DVD burner to create my bootable DVDs and USBs which makes life easier. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Are you considering purchasing a Vista install disk as MS have pulled all free downloads ?

You didn't say if you found anything related to polarisoffice.com of if the Proxy box was checked in IE.

I can get to the link but when I click on the Vista download link, the URL is being analysed which seems to take some time and is still analysing, so I don't know if it will download -yet.

Update - I gave up waiting for it to analyse the URL - is that the problem you are having ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:17:19 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2015, 03:17:27 am »
the recovery disk for laptop or computer? because, i have not seen the requirement for pc or laptop in this thread or i missed noting.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 05:05:23 pm »
Came across another download site for Vista https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7480716/Windows%20ISOs.htm

This one's in 4 bits which may make things a bit easier if it isn't the State that's blocking the download.

You have to stick them in the same folder much like the Heidoc download ones were, which have now been pulled, but if you can download them all but have any problems in putting them together, I'm sure Shane will be able to advise you on that.

Offline Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 06:27:38 pm »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2015, 01:41:24 am »
Hi Rick - I'm downloading it now and it looks like a full version because of the ~1hr  20mins the download will take.

I'll see if the Win 7 USB/DVD burner tool will create a bootable disk but I don't have a machine that I want to risk booting up with it.

Have you been able to download it ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2015, 03:32:47 am »
Update -

I was able to download the ISO fine and it showed as 3,167,396KB in my Downloads folder.

The Win 7 tool successfully created a bootable disk and when I put it in while in Windows, the Autoplay popped up to run the install .exe, so if you can download this one you should be good to go.