Author Topic: Users missing from logon screen, URGENT, for me anyway!  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Users missing from logon screen, URGENT, for me anyway!
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:22:22 pm »
Tweak needed to repair, it should find existing users and add them to the registry..

problem has existed for several years with no fix...

Now, I need one. thanks in advance...
Note; copying and pasting has not proven a good method!

Note; I created a new Dummy account named XXxxEEeeMMee000
will search the registry for all instances; clue to write a solution? maybe

imagine, on the splash screen but not in the registry?

Interesting, now that dont show in the users folder   :sarcastic:
but it does show in the splash screen   :sarcastic: :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

reviewing the user parental controls shows the accounts...
any chance can help me find the registry key?

Well, I searched high and LOW for any relevant ideas that would make it simple;
can you imagine windows easy transfer?

here's what I did, someone can create a program feature to capture existing users, WET sure does capture all the ones that did not appear on the screen, asked me where to copy them too and what folder names to name them.

from my experience with this error;

Ran WET to copy all users;
saved it to a hard drive on my system; 85g's took a while, and that was only user data and settings.
went back into create new users; created same names but added -1 to each name, included ones that already appeared so as not to be data confused later.
after creating the new user names, ran WET to copy the data to the new names; it was REALLY quite a breeze using WET as it found all the names I created so all I had to do was match them up to the new names I created with a -1

restarted, all the users appeared; had to reset explorer, firefox, google and some small areas like the clock and tell the folders where the data should be to save up disk space... when opening some of the browsers, they asked me to import data, the data already their so it too was a breeze...

More later as the story develops;

Please remember to do these types of functions from the ADM account...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:17:56 am by Rick »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Users missing from logon screen, URGENT, for me anyway!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:32:22 pm »
That kind of repair cant be automated. The main reason why, is the user accounts go deep, and you start getting into the SID of the user account, the SAM accounts and so on, basically the security.

Every account has a SID, and in the registry it is listed what each SID belongs to and for each of those profiles what their profile path is.

I have had to deal with this on customers machines, where after I have a system unjoin a domain and then join back all the SIDS change, so none of the profiles point to the old folder. Changing the registry to point to the old profile path worked, but had a lot of bugs, mainly because the old registry file in that profile was still pointing to the old SID.

I have done a lot of these types of things and because of how deep it goes they never come out working perfect.

I found the best thing to do is to make a new profile and then move the users files over to the new profile. Its the only way to make sure the new SIDs and security work without any hiccups. :wink:

Shane

Offline Rick

• View Profile
Re: Users missing from logon screen, URGENT, for me anyway!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:07:04 pm »
That kind of repair cant be automated. The main reason why, is the user accounts go deep, and you start getting into the SID of the user account, the SAM accounts and so on, basically the security.

Every account has a SID, and in the registry it is listed what each SID belongs to and for each of those profiles what their profile path is.

I have had to deal with this on customers machines, where after I have a system unjoin a domain and then join back all the SIDS change, so none of the profiles point to the old folder. Changing the registry to point to the old profile path worked, but had a lot of bugs, mainly because the old registry file in that profile was still pointing to the old SID.

I have done a lot of these types of things and because of how deep it goes they never come out working perfect.

I found the best thing to do is to make a new profile and then move the users files over to the new profile. Its the only way to make sure the new SIDs and security work without any hiccups. :wink:

Shane

Trying Windows easy transfer here;

step one; create same user id-s and include " -1 " without remarks;

* do to the system info; you may have to do one by one...

WET allows copy most or all of program settings too. I have notice that had to re-install Office using this method and that it removed the Office and some other install locations.

I am still having some issues with one account and one account is still missing which I will repair using this method.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:11:28 pm by Rick »