Author Topic: Another idea for your tool regarding corrupt profile win 7  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Nimras

• View Profile
Another idea for your tool regarding corrupt profile win 7
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:29:25 AM »
I saw someone posting about corrupt profiles.

His idea was to make a new one and inject good idea for a last stand.

But there might be unless your program does it a methode I know works for windows 7 if a profile is corrupt to fix it or at least attempt to, maybe just in case it could make a new account in case it did not work to do the other repair from.

Anyway this is only if the corrupt profile is due to registry corruption and a person get the error when trying to log on: The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Find the corrupt profile S-1-5 by looking at ProfileImagePath

In some cases you have 2 of the same one ending with .bak you in 99% of the cases need this one, just in case I rename the other one before removing .bak

Anyway go into the profile and look for the following entries:

RefCount and changed it to 0
State and change it to 0

make sure they are both REG_DWORD (32-BIT) value

It has worked so far in 90% of the cases i had with windows 7 and corrupt profile with that error when trying to get on and where the profile was damaged in registry.

Not sure if your program does it tbh, but I saw another post surgestion help with corruption.

I have not had time to test if this work in windows 8 or 8.1 since the one machine I got in to fix was I told it was needed fast so reinstall was better than researching the problem.

Main issue I also had with 8 and 8.1 was to get access to the Hidden admin account in fail safe mode to do this. Anyway I hope you can use it if not at least there you go what I found online and how it helped me solve it 90% of the time.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Another idea for your tool regarding corrupt profile win 7
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »
I would have to see why Windows puts the .bak in there to start with and if there is any side effects to removing the .bak.

What happens if a user is using a account that had a .bak reg a long time ago and the program changes it, it could make a mess for the user.

Maybe instead of an automated repair make a more manul repair where it can let the user decide which to change?

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com