Author Topic: Can't back up my laptop, reallocated sectors  (Read 6330 times)

Offline KLSDR

• View Profile
Can't back up my laptop, reallocated sectors
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:33:51 pm »
Can't run chkdsk no matter what I do have tried running all av/malware programs listed.. most crash even in safe mode.. Laptop on it's last leg. really just need to back it up before it dies.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:57:18 am by KLSDR »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't back up my laptop, reallocated sectors
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:17:12 am »
You could boot up into the Advanced Boot options and select Repair your Computer to navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt.

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter, enter (assuming c) chkdsk c: /r

This will move data from any bad sectors and repair any files it recovers from there, but some data can be lost.

If you just use the /f switch it will still report any KBs in bad sectors but it may not be able to repair any corrupt files in the bad sectors and could fail to complete.

An alternative would be to run the chkdsk without any switches so that it is in read-only mode where it will still report the state of the volume as well as any bad sectors, but will not carry out any repairs.

Enter exit to close the command window when done

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:52 am »
What happens when you try to run chkdsk on the drive? Can you get a screen shot of the error you get when you try?

In the new windows repair v3 I added a tool to make it easier to schedule a chkdsk at the next boot, in the program go to step 3, Then click the button "Open Check Disk At Next Boot"

When that window opens but the dot on the /R and hit the add to next boot button. Once done reboot and before Windows starts up the chkdsk scan should start.

Shane

Offline KLSDR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 03:01:04 am »
I've chosen not to turn on the laptop untll I figure out how to save it so no screen shots.. but what I will say is it will only do the read only chkdsk any attempts at all (cmd or anything) just restarts the laptop as usual

Offline KLSDR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:04:54 am »
You could boot up into the Advanced Boot options and select Repair your Computer to navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt.

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using whichever partition letter, enter (assuming c) chkdsk c: /r

This will move data from any bad sectors and repair any files it recovers from there, but some data can be lost.

If you just use the /f switch it will still report any KBs in bad sectors but it may not be able to repair any corrupt files in the bad sectors and could fail to complete.

An alternative would be to run the chkdsk without any switches so that it is in read-only mode where it will still report the state of the volume as well as any bad sectors, but will not carry out any repairs.

Enter exit to close the command window when done

So.. even tho I have already done the above I decided what the heck try it again.. And again upon restart it booted as normal without even attempting chkdsk. So I restarted it attempting to go into safe mode w/ networking and twice was told it was unbootable. I had to press the power button to force it to shut down and was finally ablt to get it to boot to safe mode

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:01:16 am »
A chkdsk causes a reboot? Well... thats not a good sign lol

What I would do is get Ubuntu and have it run off a usb drive, that way it isnt running of the hard drive (You can run it install of installing it) and then once in ubuntu I would start copying the files I needed off the old drive before it dies.

Do you need the links and such for ubuntu and the program to put the iso to a usb?

Shane