Author Topic: registry backup  (Read 9274 times)

Offline peterr

• View Profile
registry backup
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:39 am »
1st, congratulations.
I am not going to invade your thread so you will not be tied up and so others will benefit from the questions we normal users have.
Regarding scheduling options, after all is said and done, if you want to restore your pc are you better off with the first or second choice. My wife and I use the pc and were not quite sure;we would like to see it done but do not want to lose any of the backup. It sounded as though part of the backup would not be there if we used the first option,I believe.

We are fine with the program itself but when it comes to dos, we have issues which I think only study and tutorials will fix.
If you have never used command prompts except to check ip addresses etc it is hard.
I hope, if you have the o.s. disc(smaller than the size of the o.s. you are using as it has grown with use)you can use it to boot into the option to run the command prompt. Then maybe use the other pc as a guide to run the dos commands to restore outside of the program. The restore feature within the program is great as is the entire program.
Thank you so much for helping all of us normal people with Win 7. Off to discuss it elsewhere.
Peter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: registry backup
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:13 am »
Regarding scheduling options, after all is said and done, if you want to restore your pc are you better off with the first or second choice.
Restoring isnt limited to which way you use the schedule. So no worries there.  :cheesy:

It sounded as though part of the backup would not be there if we used the first option,I believe
That is only if you have locked user profiles. In windows you can create a new profile and tell it to protect its profile. Which means no other accounts can access that profile. If that is the case you use the system account in the schedule. But if you can go to the profiles folders just fine then your all set to go with either option.

We are fine with the program itself but when it comes to dos, we have issues which I think only study and tutorials will fix.
If you have never used command prompts except to check ip addresses etc it is hard.
I hope, if you have the o.s. disc(smaller than the size of the o.s. you are using as it has grown with use)you can use it to boot into the option to run the command prompt. Then maybe use the other pc as a guide to run the dos commands to restore outside of the program. The restore feature within the program is great as is the entire program.
Thank you so much for helping all of us normal people with Win 7. Off to discuss it elsewhere.

In the other thread I posted the 4 videos I did last night to get feedback before I put them on the site.

One video was how to use the program while the other 3 where different ways to restore. By any chance have you watched them yet? I really need to know if they help the normal user like yourself. After all that is the goal of the videos :wink:

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:07:58 am »
I have read them, hence the questions I asked.
I will pester you but only from the average user's point of view.
We are about in the 6th grade when it comes to software so patience will be a must for you. I know you are going to be very busy as I have been following the threads so please do not rush to get to me. I have already spread the word in 5 other sites and among friends. Let's hope others will trickle over to try it.
Fear will contribute to procrastination but given time the word will lead to action.
I am about to install it now and will try to speak less in generalities or converstionally and more to the point whereupon you can utilize constructive specific comments.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:15 am »
I have read them, hence the questions I asked.

You said read, so I you must mean the healp files. I am talking about the videos.

When I finished them I was really looking forward to seeing what you think of them :-)

Here they are for now till I get them posted online.

http://tweaking.com/files/Tweaking.com-RegistryBackupHowtousetheprogram.mp4
http://www.tweaking.com/files/Tweaking.com_Reg_backup_xp_recovery_console.mp4
http://tweaking.com/files/tweaking.com_regbackup_win7_recovery.mp4
http://www.tweaking.com/files/Tweaking.com_RegBackup_Using_Live_CD.mp4

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:00:19 am »
I think the operative words here are,  "level of skill" as I watched the videos three times.

I think would need to take notes regarding the restore options if I could not gain access to the program.

1-1st video = We have password protection on the pcs and each as their own email so -that means either schedule option would work but we could use the first to capture all and see it work, yes?

I had trouble with the dos restore cmd which I think you skimmed over for our level but not from a skilled user's level. This is where I would need the notebook and hit pause frequently.
All can be done but it requires more "pablum" feeding for the average user. My gut tells me most would not use dos and just count on gaining access to the program -big gamble.

2- 2nd video = for xp only?

3- 3rd video =  Again the restore was tough for low level users. You refer to the repair option; is this the os disc or F8?
I think I have bumped into times where the os disc won't work b/c the pc has grown larger than the disc over time. I cannot slipstream.
Also, assuming the drive is C; do you just type C:\  and follow prompts or do we copy all of what you type, which is extensive if you have never been here before?

4- 4th video = If you have an os disc(even tho the size is different) should you use it, or is the Ubuntu download easier?
I really had trouble here b/c you scooped or grabbed two folders and pasted them to the root drive, was the word I think you mentioned.

May I ask; let us assume normals like us can access the program, is now a good time to install it and use it?
Regarding the inability to access the program, is it more practical to have a second pc with your video up, next to the one you are trying  to restore from outside of windows, OR, is it better to take notes on a pad. I ask the latter because I don't know how many notes there are to be taken. There are defaults  etc so we can't judge.
Remember please that we are just trying to be honest so you can pick and choose what to keep and what to discard. We are good examples of one of the masses. The program is long over do and I can't wait to install it but I think it should be out of beta -correct?
Hope this helps.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:16:52 am »
1-1st video = We have password protection on the pcs and each as their own email so -that means either schedule option would work but we could use the first to capture all and see it work, yes?

I had trouble with the dos restore cmd which I think you skimmed over for our level but not from a skilled user's level. This is where I would need the notebook and hit pause frequently.
All can be done but it requires more "pablum" feeding for the average user. My gut tells me most would not use dos and just count on gaining access to the program -big gamble.

The first video was showing how to use the program under normal conditions. If you need to know on the schedule which to use here is an easy way.
When you open the program in the first window you will see it list the user profiles. If you see all the profiles there then they are not locked out and you can run it as the normal user.

If a profile is missing from the list that means the program (Which is being ran under your account) cant see those profiles. If that is the case you schedule it to run under the system account.

2- 2nd video = for xp only?

Yes this is how to use the xp recovery console.

3- 3rd video =  Again the restore was tough for low level users. You refer to the repair option; is this the os disc or F8?
I think I have bumped into times where the os disc won't work b/c the pc has grown larger than the disc over time. I cannot slipstream.
Also, assuming the drive is C; do you just type C:\  and follow prompts or do we copy all of what you type, which is extensive if you have never been here before?

The repair options is from the F8 or the disc. They are the same.
To change drive letters you just type it in C:\ and hit enter. Then to view what is on that drive you type in dir

4- 4th video = If you have an os disc(even tho the size is different) should you use it, or is the Ubuntu download easier?
I really had trouble here b/c you scooped or grabbed two folders and pasted them to the root drive, was the word I think you mentioned.

Ubuntu is easier. The OS disc doesn't give you an environment to work with that has a copy and paste option. Ubuntu lets you run it right off the cd.

Then all I did was go to the backup folder copy the folders and paste them on the root of the drive. Thats all, they where restored. No wondering where to put the files. :-)

May I ask; let us assume normals like us can access the program, is now a good time to install it and use it?
Regarding the inability to access the program, is it more practical to have a second pc with your video up, next to the one you are trying  to restore from outside of windows, OR, is it better to take notes on a pad. I ask the latter because I don't know how many notes there are to be taken. There are defaults  etc so we can't judge.
Remember please that we are just trying to be honest so you can pick and choose what to keep and what to discard. We are good examples of one of the masses. The program is long over do and I can't wait to install it but I think it should be out of beta -correct?
Hope this helps.

Perhaps the best thing for me to do is now that the videos are done is to make guides with screen shots doing the same thing. This way people can just print it out :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:21:37 am »

v1.0.0 is ready just not out yet :-)

I am planning for Sunday release.

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:45 pm »
I have read your responses, thank you. I will be studying more.
When you ask for feedback from low level non dos people you probably are stunned by our lack of 'how to'. We have never been there before.
The screen shots may be a very good idea as printing is easier than taking notes by far.
It would be a comfort to have a print out of the difficult parts  of recovery outside of the program.
That would really be a comprehensive package as everyone could restore under any conditions.
Sunday sounds good.  Even the good Lord rested you know.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »
I have read your responses, thank you. I will be studying more.
When you ask for feedback from low level non dos people you probably are stunned by our lack of 'how to'. We have never been there before.

This is why I asked, so I can make sure the help files and videos are good to go. I want the launch of the program to be good as possible. And having all the info people need will help with that :-)

The screen shots may be a very good idea as printing is easier than taking notes by far.
It would be a comfort to have a print out of the difficult parts  of recovery outside of the program.
That would really be a comprehensive package as everyone could restore under any conditions.
Sunday sounds good.  Even the good Lord rested you know.

I am half asleep today. I was till 2 am making the help pages and videos and then had a customer call and wake me up at 7:30 lol
So I am like a zombie.

Once I am rested up I will get the videos in screen shot form as well for print outs :-)

Shane