Author Topic: Sound stutters, Computer running slow, processor often maxed out  (Read 15944 times)

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
Hi
Am having issues with hesitating/stuttering sound video whether from internet or playing .mp3s with Win Media player.  Mouse also freezes at the same time.  Ie also slow.  Processor is frequently at 100%, I don't remember this being the case that often.

Memory has been recently replaced (old pair were causing crashes).  Drive 0 is a recently installed hybrid drive imaged from an old good install.  (Many updates on it since).

Have downloaded your windows repair app & run the prescan, results attached.  I certainly need help on obtaining the missing/damaged files listed.

Also attached is a Belarc Advisor report on my computer (seems to say Vista is installed when it is Win 7 (build 7601: Service pack 1) which I hope will be useful.

Would be most appreciative of your help.

Cheers

Richard

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Sound stutters, Computer running slow, processor often maxed out
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:19 pm »
Have you ran any of the repairs in the windows repair program yet? Or did you only do the pre scan?

Shane

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:26:46 am »
Hi

Unable to do the prescan repairs as I need the files to replace as per the report I attached.

Am currently running your recommended malware scans & getting rid of some rubbish. 

The missing files are below:

Scanning Windows Packages Files.
Started at (27/03/2015 11:57:51)

This File Is Missing:
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Win8IP-Microsoft-Windows-Graphics-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~el-GR~7.1.7601.16492.mum

This File Is Corrupt (Bad Digital Signature):
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Win8IP-Microsoft-Windows-Multimedia-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~el-GR~7.1.7601.16492.cat

This File Is Corrupt (Bad Digital Signature):
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Win8IP-Microsoft-Windows-Multimedia-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~el-GR~7.1.7601.16492.mum

Problems where found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced
The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.
If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.

Files Checked & Verified: 3,566

Done (27/03/2015 12:03:39)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scanning Reparse Points.
Started at (27/03/2015 12:03:39)

No problems where found with the Reparse Points.

Files & Folders Searched: 195,049
Reparse Points Found: 48

Done (27/03/2015 12:11:08)

Checking Environment Variables.
Started at (27/03/2015 12:11:08)

No problems where found with the Environment Variables.

Scan Complete - Problems Found!

Cheers

Richard

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 09:47:57 am »
Have done more research:
Installed DPC Latency Checker - Pic attached showing many spikes
Installed Latency Mon - Report & pics attached

Issue seems to be with Storport.sys (date Modified 04/02/2014  145K)  - Same size & date as one on another computer which is running fine.

I still need the files requested in my first post, but also need to sort out Storport.sys.

I have tried disabling many items in Device Manager with no result (apart from losing access to my mouse & keyboard, fixed using wired mouse)

Win 7 horrible at the moment, will appreciate any advice.  Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:44:04 am »
Here are the files :-)

Put them in
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\

Shane

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:32:59 am »
When did you sweep off all the stuff you don't need anymore (e.g. logfiles from 'Windows Update')? Which programs you are using for that?
 :wink:
HDW

Probably about a week ago using Ashampoo Winoptimiser 8.  However on looking in Windows servicing/Sessions, there are 144 files in there dating from 13/12/14 and a further 107 folders in Windows/SoftwareDistribution dating from 24/5/14 which is probably shortly after I installed the new disk with an old image.

So, If I did do a sweep, it looks as though it was unsuccessful.  Mind you, with a further look the folders do seem to be empty despite the Download folder showing 255MB in properties.

Cheers - Richard

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:48:56 am »
The SoftwareDistribution is the Windows Update history and if you want to get rid of that, run a command prompt as an administrator and enter -

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

where Windows will create a new SoftwareDistribution folder but in Windows Update there will be no history to view until the next lot of updates.

The free version of CCleaner can clean a lot out just as running Disk Cleanup as an admin will clean out a lot more and Extended Disk Cleanup gives you the option to clean out even more.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/76383-disk-cleanup-extended.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:04:13 am by Boggin »

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 10:42:29 am »
Here are the files :-)

Put them in
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\

Shane

Thanks Shane.  Have installed files & run your (updated) repair tool.
Sadly no improvement in performance, Latency checker still showing many spikes, LatencyMon shows Storport.sys as major offender, closely followed by USBPORT.SYS not shown in the report (attached).

I have followed the advice in the report as per CPU throttling, again with no improvement.

Have also disabled many items in Device Manager without success.

Any Ideas before I re-image the disc?

Cheers  Richard

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:23 pm »
Another thing: what did you change before you got the issues (subject)?

I wish I could remember.  It seems to have been getting progressively worse for some time.

I will probably end up re-imaging, but then the updates will re-install & I expect the issue will return.

Sometimes wonder whether to turn updates off altogether as they only seem to end up causing issues.

Cheers, Richard

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 01:23:46 am »
Well, I wouldn't have asked for, but I remember these issues on my XP machine, after having installed a second hdd.
'HWINFO' showed me, that the machine got hot. So I installed one more fan to cool it down and it worked.

I have used 2 HDDs for many years, one for windows & apps, the other for data.  I too noticed when they were put close together screwed into their bay that they did not seem to cool very well, so I have one in its bay, & the other loose so they both have plenty of air round them.  The sides are also off the unit allowing for more airflow.

I think my processor only gets warm due to the fact it is up to 100% a considerable amount of the time.  In safe mode it is very happy at only about 2-3%.  When I ran the repair tool it was very fast & zipped though the repairs, but sadly no improvement.

There is clearly a rogue driver causing havoc here.  Cheers Richard

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 04:34:13 pm »
Can you find out if the hard drives are in PIO or DMA mode?

PIO mode, which windows will put a drive into if it is having trouble means no DMA (Direct Memory Access) and so the cpu will spike and sometimes max out when ever it is reading or writing to the drive, the drive will also be a lot slower.

If that isnt it and the drives are in good shape (I would use a smart status checker to see how the drives are reporting themselves) then I would try updating the chipset drivers and see if it helps.

But is is possible that the drive is simply starting to go bad and isnt responding back to the storport driver and is causing the driver to hang while waiting for a response.

Shane

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 01:10:05 am »
Can you find out if the hard drives are in PIO or DMA mode?

Thank you Shane.  Have checked computer as requested. 

The system drive is too new it appears for PIO mode, the data drive is set to Ultra DMA Mode 2.  Good thinking though.

(http://techlogon.com/2011/03/28/how-to-fix-hard-drive-stuck-in-pio-mode/)

Have reimaged the System drive to an earlier date.  Most of the spikes have gone & sound is better but not perfect.  Processor still seems far too busy though.  I am checking now to see if there is an earlier image still I can roll back to.

Appreciate your help - it is all a useful learning curve.

Cheers Richard

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 10:14:11 am »
It is hard for me to tell you what the next move should be without seeing the system myself.

Just to cover all bases have you done some drive speed tests yet as well to see how the speeds look?

Shane

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 04:01:03 pm »
Hi Shane
Have done a couple of speed tests.  The first C Hybrid Hdd.JPG (attached) which is a new hybrid SSHD, used for Windows & Apps, does not seem to compare that well with the HDD Drive D.JPG (also attached) which is used for data.
I will do another test on the conventional HDD it replaced (now just a spare) & see how that compares.

Newbie - Unsure what you meant in your reply.

Regards to both of you - Richard

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 09:20:09 pm »
Those are really slow speeds for that drive then, it is suppose to be faster than a normal hard drive.

Let me know how the other speed tests go.

The reason why I had you do this part is because I have been on systems where the sounds files where being read off the drive, or something that was needed was being read off the drive instead of from memory, and the drive was slugging hard and would cause the sound to skip because it couldnt keep up.

So a faulty drive can of course cause this, but so can a drive that is having trouble or failing and that would in turn cause the driver to lag and spike. But if it was the driver doing it then the speed test on the 2nd drive should have had slower results as well.

Shane

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 03:05:29 am »
Hi Shane

Yes, disappointing about the SSHD (only a few months old).  I need to dig out the receipt & see if I can get it replaced.

Have now imaged right back to September 2013 shortly after full dual boot installation of Xp & Win 7 & their respective apps (to old HDD).  Latency Checker showed far fewer spikes, but there was still the occasional one.  Processor still showed as V busy although in Task manager the cpu processes did not add up to what was shown on the Performance tab.

The System disc now in use is the older conventional HDD (Old HDD System), the data one being unchanged (HDD Drive D).  Have run speed tests & the System HDD shows better than the SSHD! (C Hybrid HDD)

Pix attached, Resource Monitor shows clear as I have increased the windows types size, seems to be a v well known issue.  MS thinks we all have eyes like microscopes! So while this window is open I cannot supply further details without a reboot.

Am now thinking of a fresh clean install on another HDD & seeing what happens.

Will try the speed test again in a usb drive to see if there is any difference.  I know the USB will throttle it, but it will not have Windows processes possibly conflicting with the test.

I would like to get to the bottom of this if only as a diagnostic exercise.  thanks for all your input.

Cheers  Richard

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 03:08:30 pm »
Hi Shane

The Image I returned to (Sept 2013) has of course updated itself with over 100 Windows updates with no improvement.  But having rebooted & Resource Monitor now shows what is going on.  On expanding the CPU tab, Windows Media Player Network Sharing service was hogging all the CPU (97%).  Disabled it & computer now ticking over nicely with processor running at 1 - 10% in normal use.

So, we are fixed!

I have just created a new image & will try it on the Hybrid drive to see if the speeds are any better.  If not, that one will have to be returned for a replacement.  I was certainly disappointed that the computer was no quicker when I first installed it.

Shane, you have been most helpful and taught me a few more things to look at.  Hope you are enjoying you Easter Weekend.

Cheers  Richard

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 12:19:53 pm »
Good to hear you got part of the problem fixed, I am curious how it will do on the hybrid drive now :-)

Shane

Offline rpuzwebb

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:33 am »
Hi Shane

Still disappointing though better on the measurements.  The computer behaves, it would appear, about the same no matter which disc is in use, the HDD or the SSHD.

I have run Seagates Seatools in DOS as they suggest before returning a disc and it shows no faults.  I am thinking the disc itself is fine, but the solid state 'accelerator' is useless.

The weather has really improved here so I shall be outside getting the garden Etc up to date, it has been a miserable winter!  So I will be a bit slower getting on to Seagate Etc.

Performance pics below.

All the very best & thanks for your interest.  Richard

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 09:45:23 am »
Well I know drivers and such make a big difference, but also the way the sata port is set up.

Such as with my SSD the only way to get the full speed is to have the sata ports set to AHCI mode and not IDE mode. I am not sure on the hybrids, haven't used one myself, I just went straight to the SSD.

The best way to find out if the problem is with the drive or not is to try it in another system, if possible.

If you can also take a image of your data, it might be worth a test of doing a reinstall of windows, fresh, total format and see how it does and if it does any better or the same. Then if it isnt any better you can restore the image back to before the install.

Right now my goal is a process of elimination and I want to find out if it is software or hardware, because both can cause this problem. So we need to confirm which one it isnt, so we dont waste time on it :-)

Shane