Author Topic: tweaking.com 3.0 starts to run then hangs the system.  (Read 16148 times)

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
tweaking.com 3.0 starts to run then hangs the system.
« on: March 19, 2015, 04:44:30 pm »
Just downloaded 3.0 and attempted to run it.  During repairs, selected a few to run, the system hangs.  cannot close it even with the task manager.  Only way to get system back is to restart it.  The tweaking.com screen is grayed out. 

Thanks for your help

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: tweaking.com 3.0 starts to run then hangs the system.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:57:39 pm »
Thats odd, its sounds like the system is running out of system resources, or something is interfering with the program, does this happen when you run it in safe mode?

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:40:02 pm »
Tried safemode and regular mode.  Happens in either location.  I selected easy (i think) repairs and some ran to completion and for example #26 and #27 bombed  in safemode or regular startup mode.   Appears to have generated logs of repairs but doesn't explain the hangs.  I have 8GB of memory on a i3 machine running w7 home premium.

Thanks for your help Shane.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:50:25 am »
I selected easy (i think) repairs and some ran to completion

Selected easy? What do you mean on that one? I dont have an easy option lol

Ok so the program ran fine until it got to the later repairs, how long would you say it had been running before it starting having trouble?

My goal is to try and trace down what is causing it so I can try to replicate it. When the repairs are running and the cmd.exe is doing its thing, the program is doing much while it waits.

It is checking for the repairs running file on the drive every 2 sec, it is accessing the performance monitor to show the system monitors, and it is checking the current running processes every few sec to see if cmd.exe is still running.

Other than that it is waiting. So that means it should be one of those things that the program is having trouble with.

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 12:26:40 pm »
Maybe this helps.  I can open program.  I go to repairs at top and click on it then go to bottom right and "open repairs".  It doesn't open.   Get the blue rotating circle and it never ends until I go to task manager and kill the process from there.  Also noticed "repair_ windows.exe is memory use does not change.  It is at 6,576K and doesn't go up or down.  If this doesn't help, I will answer the other questions you posed after the weekend.  Enjoy your family. That's the most important thing.

Ivan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »
Ah, so it is when it is trying to load the repairs window is when it has trouble.

Try this, open a cmd.exe window as administrator and then put in

lodctr /r

Then try the program again and let me know if it opens.

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:05:58 pm »

Shane:  I did as instructed and recd following:

unable to rebuild perfromance counter from system backup store.  error code is 5

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »
Ah, so that might be the problem right there.

Ok so here is what I want to do, I have attached the good performance counter files from my Windows 7 system.

Before you replace the files on your system I want you to grab a copy of your files first and post them for me, this way I can take your corrupted files and purposely break the performance counters on a test machine. That way I can test it and adjust my program to handle when there is an error with them and keep it from locking up the program :-)

Once you replace the files with the new ones you can run the command I gave you again if they still dont work. And of course reboot after you replace the files :-)

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 03:08:48 pm »
Dear Shane:

Thanks for this.  What do you mean by " I want you to grab a copy of your files first and post them for me". I will do this when i know what you mean.  Also, I noticed that windows installer (services >windows installer" will not start.  When I  try, get the following message attached below.  Cannot help but think this is somehow involved.   Tried to start other services and some are ok, some are not but have no list of which are which.

Probably going to have to reinstall w7 non destructively but my w7 download from microsoft when I had a similar problem 2 years ago will not run.  Setup just fails and fails.  The text of the atachment appears below:

windows installer says"windows could not start the windows installer on local computer error 1297. a privilege that the service requres to function correctly does not exist in the service account configuration.
do not want updates reset. that is where problems started in first place

Hope this helps.
Really appreciate your help. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:12:45 pm »
It sounds like you have corrupt files on the system, possibly bad sectors on your hard drive, I would have windows do a bad sector check.

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator and put in

chkdsk c: /r

It will say it cant and would you like to do it at next boot, hit Y. Then reboot and the scan should start.

As for the files, in the zip file you will find a system32 folder and a syswow64 folder, both of those are in your Windows folder.

For each of the files I put in that zip file, I want you to go and copy the same files from your system32 folder and syswow64 folder BEFORE you replace them with the ones I gave you. That way I can take those corrupt ones and make my program handle that better.

Once you do a bad sector check on your drive, and you replace the performance counter files we will see if the program will start and you can run the repairs (If you have no bad sectors) :wink:

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 07:03:33 pm »
Step 1:  ran chkdsk /r  on reboot.  message system is OK  (also ntfs)

I saw the zip file but now I don't see it on your messages so I can't get to the file list to compare with.  It was included in your message of today at 2:50

I have attached the good performance counter files from my Windows 7 system.  Now it is not attached to that message.  I'm really getting confused.  Do it drop off after I read the message and didn't run it?

Sorry to be such a PITA but I really love tweaking.com

Ivan

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 07:08:58 pm »
sorry shane.  Found the zip file.  Was looking in the wrong place.  PeaZip didn't install correctly (windows installer again) so I have to find another program to do it then I can continue.  will let you know.

Ivan

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 07:34:54 pm »
got the files you asked for attached.  I did not replace the files I am sending to you because I want to make sure what I did was correct.  It's almost the weekend.  Family and coffee. 

Ivan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 01:24:56 pm »
Yes those are the files I needed, so go ahead and replace them with the ones I gave you. I will load the ones you gave me up in windows 7 in vmware and see what happens :-)

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 04:55:07 pm »
Will do so after I rename the old ones *old.dat.  Also ran sfc /scan now on C: I attached results to this message.  Will try lodctr /r as you suggested after I replace the my files with the one you sent  and will forward those results. .  Thank you again

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 05:00:56 pm »
Before I ran your  counter files, I tried the lodctr /r.  It ran successfully so I don't know what to do as the next step.  Still cannot get services > windows installer to start.  Error messages appear to be related to permissions and local control.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 02:33:52 pm »
OK good, so replacing those files got the performance counters to be rebuilt without any errors.

Does my program still lock up when trying to open the repairs window?

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 07:07:07 pm »
Shane

I got repairs to run without the installer working and ran the option to repair the installer.  I am going to reboot and see if it is fixed.  will advise.

I never got to replace the files.  I opened cmd as admin and ran lodctr /r and it ran successfully as did
sfc /scannow.  I know there is a problem with the window installer service since it will not start and get error message 1297 which I believe has something to do with permissions.  If you recall, running reset permissions got me in trouble in the first place with repair 2.4.?  Weekend is coming so have a good one and I we can pick this up next week.

Ivan

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 09:45:21 pm »
Shane:

Think we are both going to enjoy the weekend.  I started repairs and ran the one to repair the installer.  It ran to completion and I was able to turn start the service and download and install turbotax.  Can't thank you enough for the hand holding.  See that version 3.1 is available and will download that tomorrow.  Thanks and have a coffee or two on me.

Ivan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 03:22:29 pm »
Awesome :-)

So once the performance counters where rebuilt you could open the repairs.

I will test into that and see if I cant break it and then find a way for the program not to lock up when they are corrupt :-)

Shane

Offline irotkovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 07:36:05 pm »
Thanks Shane.  The windows installer fix was great and my system, knock on wood, appears to be back in fine shape. Think we can close this topic.  Downloaded 3.1 and it appears to be working fine.  Not going to use it unless I have a problem again that I can't figure out.  Keep up the great work.  You did what microsoft could'n be bothered to or wouldn't be bothered to fix.

Ivan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 11:45:07 am »
Good to hear you are all fixed up. I will lock this thread :-)

Shane