Author Topic: Re Pre Repairs Scan in version 3  (Read 20436 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Re Pre Repairs Scan in version 3
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 02:49:59 pm »
I won't bother you any more as I know you are busy with other people's issues but I will look forward to further developments in the program.

Oh, no no. You are not bothering me at all. I am going to need testers after all. lol

I build a new scan tool and I need a way to help fix problems found, otherwise having people post here will do nothing but triple the work i need to do and not all users follow directions the best, hehe.

So better to make a tool to do the work for them. Cutting down the work i need to do and taking the control out of the users hand more so less chance of something not being done correctly.

I am actually working on getting a tool started, so keep in touch.

Shane

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 02:15:10 am »
Hi Shane,

Back again after a couple of weeks.

I downloaded the latest (3.1.2) version of the Windows Repairs program and ran the Pre Scan with the new .CAT Files box ticked. The result was no more corrupt .mum files. Well done; the Pre Scan section of the program is a great addition and should solve the problem for many people using the program.

I then tried SFC /SCANNOW but it still showed corrupt files which it couldn't fix (CBS log attached).

Then tried Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup which worked OK.

Finally tried Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which found problems but was not able to download from source files (DISM log attached).

So my question is if the Pre Scan has fixed all the problems and made the necessary repairs why do SFC and DISM still find problems.  As I asked earlier is there any connection between the files Pre Scan finds and fixes and those that SFC and DISM find but cannot fix the problems?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Erik

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »
The pre-scan tool only checks the packages files. It doesnt do the winsxs folder (yet) and that is where the manifest files are and a load of others.

The packages files are just one part of the puzzle.

In this case looking at the logs it looks like the problem is corrupt or bad manifest files, or something just corrupt in the winsxs folder. Not to mention it could also be something corrupt or not correct in the components registry section, which holds all the information about the winsxs folder. i haven't even started trying to go through that yet lol

When the Winsxs folder gets messed up normally a repair install is the only way to go. Mainly because of the insane amount of files in that folder and the way things are named, they make it almost impossible for a human to do anything with it.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

Shane