Author Topic: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems  (Read 132615 times)

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
Re: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2015, 04:56:15 am »
Derr, forgot to attach the images, Again!  :tongue:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2015, 09:13:44 am »
First, the commands you have entered don't quite tally with what I'd posted which is probably why the Teredo Interface hasn't been reinstalled.

Write them down and redo.

You then need to right click on the 6to4 and the MS ISATAP adapters and select Uninstall then right click on the GBE Family Controller and select Enable - the black downward arrow next to it denotes that it has been disabled.

After you have uninstalled those adapters, click on Action then on Add legacy hardware.

When you first click on Action you may only get a Help option and if so just close it and try it again.

After clicking on Add legacy hardware click on Next - Next - Next - scroll down and select Network adapters - Next - Microsoft then on the 6to4 adapter in the right hand window - Next - and that will reinstall that one, then repeat the process and scroll down that last window to select MS ISATAP adapter - Next and that will reinstall that one.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:15:31 am by Boggin »

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2015, 09:46:49 am »

Hmm, well this is what you posted - "6. Open the  Cmd Prompt as an administrator again and type then Enter these cmds :-
7. netsh
8. int ipv6
9. set teredo client",

and that's exactly what I typed into the cmd prompt, twice!  :rolleyes: it's what's on the image I attached, so which bit of this doesn't tally?

I've actually already enabled and updated the GBE Family Controller so that's fine now; I'll uninstall and reinstall the other 2 this eve. I also uninstalled the Dell Webcam program as well, so once I've sorted the adapters out I'll give the repair install another shot!  :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 10:33:15 am »
This is what I'd typed - you haven't entered all of the commands -

1. As an administrator from the Cmd Prompt, type then press Enter after each of these commands :-
2. netsh
3. int teredo
4. set state disabled

5. Open Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network adapters right click on Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface and select Uninstall
6. Open the  Cmd Prompt as an administrator again and type then Enter these cmds :-
7. netsh
8. int ipv6
9. set teredo client

10. Open Device Manager/Action/Scan for new hardware.
11. Then select Show hidden devices from the View menu.

It should now display without the yellow alert.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2015, 12:50:47 pm »
Ah, but I did! I entered the first 4 then closed the cmd prompt, then at 6 I opened it again!

So what's the problem with the Teredo adapter - any idea why it won't appear?

ALso I've uninstalled and reinstalled the other 2 MS ones mentioned and when reinstalling they came up with error Code 10 (won't start) and still have the yellow triangles on!  :confused:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2015, 01:48:09 pm »
That Code 10 could be because of the missing Teredo Interface.

I've used those commands to reinstall mine once - I'll give them another go myself and see what happens - I'll be back.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2015, 02:01:43 pm »
Whatever is the cause - it must be contagious as when I've just gone into Device Manager, my Teredo is also showing a yellow alert and a Code 10.

Not sure if a new ISP router could have caused that ?

I'll try those commands now prior to seeing if any of my restore points will reinstate it - you could also use yours to reinstate it until we can come up with a fix, but the factory reset appears to be looming large.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »
Weird if it's affecting yours as well! Anyway, not sure whether it's academic or not as my repair install is now underway  :tongue: maybe after that the adapters will be ok again, time will tell.

It's done the first bit of copying Windows files and is now gathering files, settings & programs, so fingers crossed everything goes to plan!  :undecided: Removing the Dell Webcam must have allowed it to run, as that was the only red cross on the previous repair install compatibility test - the WSE issue raised by the Upgrade Advisor compatibility doesn't look to have caused any problems, so far............  :wink:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2015, 02:32:15 pm »
Well that's good news.

When I went back into Device Manager I noticed that my 6to4 and the MS ISATAP adapters had gone missing and when I tried to add the legacy hardware, I also got a Code 10 for them - but found the fix.

Below those commands in my toolbox was this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929852 and scrolling down to the Fix it to Re-enable IPv6 restored the code 10 from the Teredo as well as the 6to4 and ISATAP adapters.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2015, 02:40:06 pm »
Damn, forgot to attach the screenshot - try again!

Right click on each of those with the yellow ! and uninstall them. Those are normally left over after a virus cleanup.

As for the compatibility report, you can normally ignore it, just means you will have to reinstall those after is all :-)

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2015, 03:42:08 am »
So Shane's saying I can remove the MS ISATAP and 6to4 adapters then, fair enough, but do I need the Teredo tunneling one? I tried the FixIt 50440 to re-enable IPv6 and it said it couldn't process!  :teeth: Ran the the FixIt 50444 (Re-enable IPv6 on nontunnel interfaces and on IPv6 tunnel interfaces) and this processed fine, so then I rebooted and tried the 50440 again and this time it worked! Rebooted and opened the list of adapters and it wasn't there - funnily enough though the triangles have gone from the 6to4 and ISATAP so these now look ok!  :confused: do I still need to remove them? Then I tried the script you sent earlier Boggin, and it ran ok but nothing happened, so I went to Add Legacy Hardware, found the Teredo Tunneling adapter and added it manually, so now it's back on the list - please let me know which of the adapters I need and don't need.

As for the repair install, welll..... when I went to bed it had been running 5 hrs or so and was on the last of 5 steps in the install process, with green ticks on the first 4, so was looking good, and I left it. This morning logged on ok and got a message that it hadn't installed this version of Windows (see attached) and mentioned compatibility issues - should I try uninstalling the WSE thing mentioned earlier, or even the whole .NET framework, and try again?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2015, 06:16:26 am »
Well, I'm pretty certain that I removed the eicfg file from the Pro ISO on this laptop - I also have it saved on another.

Are you sure you have Win 7 x64 and not Win 7 x32

I'll run the eicfg removal utility again on this ISO and send you another couple of disks, but sorry if I've screwed up on this.

It's one of the hazards of using two laptops and age when remembering what's what.

As for the adapters, you probably don't need the 6to4 adapter, but you may need the Teredo and certainly the ISATAP adapter.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/cc917486.aspx

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2015, 06:29:02 am »
Ha, oh it's definitely 64 bit! (see attached)   :cheesy:

Don't know what the eicfg file is or does, but I've looked on the install disk you sent and there's no file of that name on it so I'm not sure whether the disks need re-doing or not - is there any other way to tell? It did run ok right to the end, something in the last stage seems to have upset it, but I was in bed at the time and it had rebooted by the time I saw it again.  :sleep:

I'll leave the adapters as is then from the sound of it, unless leaving the 6to4 one on is likely to cause problems by being there  :undecided:

Should we wait for Shane's input on trying removing the WSE/.NET framework thing, he may have more idea about that...?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2015, 06:49:16 am »
The eicfg file ties the version down to what it is, but a Win 7 install disk has all of the versions up to Ultimate on it for that architecture (32 or 64bit but not both).

On reflection, I think I burned the ISOs on this laptop for http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2949.0.html and Derrick was able to successfully do a repair install.

I think the ISO on this laptop is the newer Refresh edition that Digital River supplied prior to MS pulling them, but not sure if I downloaded the one on my other laptop earlier - memory !

I'll burn a couple of disks on the other laptop after running the eicfg utility on it and send you those.

That will be tomorrow's post now as I have to send my ISP's router back as it had me pulling my hair out last night and the rest out this morning.

I solved the problem by putting my own router on this morning, but initially thought it was a combo of the ISP router and Norton 360 blocking the Internet - we live and learn - the hard way  :cheesy:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2015, 07:43:02 am »
There goes my memory again -

As well as a couple of the universal disks, I also sent Derrick a spare Win 7 x64 Home Premium SP1 ISO which he could have used for the repair  install.

I've had a dig around my stock and found another actual Home Premium one I can send you as well as a couple of fresh universal ones.

Gonna burn those universal ones now.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2015, 08:17:53 am »
Yeah, know exactly what you mean about the memory!   :cheesy:

Ha, so you think the issue is with the disks you sent then - were the 2 I got both the same? They had the same description on the case but I've only tried one, thinking the other was just a duplicate.

Is trying the WSE/.NET idea not worth a go then? Either way I'm not fussed, if you think re-doing the universal disks from a different download or an actual Home Premium one is the way to go then I'm more than happy to give one or both a try, whichever way you think is best...  :artist:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2015, 09:13:34 am »
So Shane's saying I can remove the MS ISATAP and 6to4 adapters then, fair enough, but do I need the Teredo tunneling one?

Yes you can remove it :-)

Windows will be reinstalling itself and so you dont need to worry about a lot of those things. The list you got mainly means those will be things that will need to be reinstalled after the repair install, thats why some of the things listed are hardware drivers for your phone and such. :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2015, 09:56:34 am »
Yes, those disks were the same - just sent you a spare.

The ones I'll be posting tomorrow will be one marked as Home Premium and two marked as Universal - you cannot have too many install disks as they can get damaged.

Give the Home Premium one a try first and hopefully that should work without a glitch.

You did run Belarc Advisor to get the vendor's generic key ?

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2015, 07:47:35 am »
Ok cheers guys

Yeah, I found and ran Belarc last year when I was having my many problems, at one point (more infact!) it told me my copy of Windows wasn't genuine and had to be reactivated so I've had it since then  :artist:

Right, I thought they were the same, no problem, I'll have another go with the Home Premium one when it arrives and hopefully that will complete the last stage and repair everything it's meant to... :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2015, 09:03:07 am »
Posted them off 1st Class Post this morning Tony, so you should have them by Friday going by the last rate of delivery.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:38:33 am by Boggin »

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2015, 12:08:47 pm »
Got them this morning actually Boggin, so thanks again and good on ya old bean!  :artist:

Also uninstalled the WSE 3.0 .NET thing as it's apparently obsolete, and can always be reinstalled if I ever need it (unlikely), so a quick disk cleanup and recheck of the Win7 Upgrade Advisor is now completely clear!  :smiley:

Now I'm just going to reboot, turn the AV & firewall off and then give the Home Premium disk a whirl, watch this space (in several hours that is, or probably tomorrow given the hour... )  :wink:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2015, 03:17:58 pm »
Don't forget to back up your drivers folders from Windows\System32 and then you can drop them back in after the install.

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2015, 03:44:17 pm »
Ah ok, thanks, will do - don't think I've backed them up  yet!  :thinking:

It came up with an error actually saying it had to be rebooted due to system files having to be reset or some such, so I'm going to have to try again....  :undecided:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2015, 04:01:45 pm »
I can't understand why you are having problems with the install.

I think it was either last year or the year before when I used one of the HP disks to do a repair install to get back in and it went without a hitch.

If it said it would have to reboot I think it should have its own prompts to continue rather than having to start from scratch but....

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2015, 01:16:08 am »
No, neither can I, although I'm not overly surprised given the trouble I've had with the machine over the last 18 months (mainly with WU)  :angry: but it actually gets worse - that was the second time I'd tried the new Home Premium disk - the first time it said it couldn't create a system folder or something with error 80070005, so I rebooted then I got that one mentioned above, anyway rebooted again and got it going this time, but when I came back to it it had bombed out Again, this time with error 80070017 (see attached)

I was wondering - do you think the original (failed) repair I did with the first Universal disk you sent has done something which is causing this repair disk to fail?? After that attempt I had extra folders on my C: drive ($UPGRADE.~OS, $WINDOWS.~LS, Windows.old) and had lost 2-3 Gb of disk space! Should I delete some/all of these before I give it another go - is there something that attempt has done which could be stopping this disk working, or something on the drive seeing as it got so close to finishing the repair? Just my thoughts, I'm not sure what else to do other than reboot and try again....  :undecided: