Author Topic: >Net Framework (so far)  (Read 12574 times)

Offline godalmightyenough

• View Profile
>Net Framework (so far)
« on: April 20, 2015, 06:56:04 am »
Heeeelp! Used Tweaking repair tool yesterday. It repaired 37 problems but did more damage than good. Ten years of Windows updates were erased along with Special Pack 1. Been trying to reconstitute it but it is tough slogging given Microsoft no longer supports some portions of Windows 7. Two files were replaced (80070643 and 800701103) that allows some updates to install. But then two other missing files caused problems: KB976732-.exe and KB 976732-x64.exe. No luck here since .net Frame is affected. Attempts to repair Network using Tweak all in one tool didn't work and neither did Microsoft. The windows installer seems alright.
There is an added wrinkle: cannot download .zip and .scm files. Zip extension cause the screen to rapidly jump and down. Looks like the computer is having a heart attack. Until this problem is solved cannot download remaining updates. When that is achieved more problems in update will probably surface. At ,my wit's end trying to put out all these brushfires, so to speak. Using Windows 7 2003).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: >Net Framework (so far)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:54:22 am »
While Windows Update doesn't work in Safe Mode with Networking, in that mode you can Google for the direct downloads for the Windows Updates and .NET Framework versions.

MS has a .NET Framework repair tool but I think Shane prefers to uninstall them and then reinstall - but before you try anything else I think Shane may want to find out why this happened, so hold off on any other remedial attempts until he gets back.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:20:57 am »
OK. Will do nothing until someone gets back to me. My knowledge isn't sufficient to try anything. Learned the hard way not to do that!

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:50:44 am »
- Do you still have the main repair log ? Post it (attachment), It provides A LOT OF useful info.
- I DO hope you made a backup of the registry (Step 5) before running the program. Don't delete that backup (yet) because I know Shane is/could be interested in that backup.
- "17-Repair Windows Updates" doesn't "remove" the updates themselves. It only deletes a list that's generated by the Updates themselves. So, all your updates are still there. This repair also removes (A LOT OF) obsolete files that are used to update your system.
- How many failed & succesful updates do you have ? Open "Control Panel", "Programs & Features", "View installed Updates".

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:25:07 pm »
I don't know squat about computers except what has been learned by trial and error and what is available after Googling. So how does on access the repair log. No did not back up registry. Do now or just before doing repairs. You have to supply info like you were talking to an idiot (which isn't far off the mark given my tech savvy   :smiley:

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:41:34 pm »
Just checked the web and directed to MS for net frame 4.5.2 which can be downloaded. If it is download will it automatically replace the current net frame which is the same. If that is ok should be done in safe mode and back up registry first?

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:52:27 pm »
- Do you have a folder called "C:\Regbackup" ? It should contain a number of files/folders with the time & date of when the backups were made. Those folders contain the backup made in step 5 of the program.
- Go to the main repair screen. Hit the button "View Logs". It guides you to the folders where the logs are placed. The folder name contains the time & date you ran the repairs. Select the folder of when you ran the program. In that folder there's file called "_Windows_Repair_log.txt". Add it as an attachment to your next reply.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 01:49:06 pm »
My program doesnt remove any Windows updates, when it repairs windows updates any history is removed, but not the updates themselves.

When ever I have trouble with .net the best solution that has always worked for me is to completely remove it from the system and install it fresh.

I use this tool
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

This will remove every version of .net from the system, I then reboot and then download and install .net, once done .net starts working like it is suppose to. :wink:

So once .net is removed install the 4.5.2 you downloaded.

Shane

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 04:39:41 pm »
- I had the same problem with that (Windows) Update. I downloaded the MS "Fixit" tool and it fixed this failed update.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 05:50:34 pm »
Yes, there are logs. Is there any reason why .net frame can't be downloaded from the MS site that has it provided registry is backed up and it is complete in safe mode? Trying to find the least complicated way to do this.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 02:30:03 am »
Create your restore point then uninstall 4.5.2 then use the direct download to see if that resolves the problem.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:18:33 am »
Now we're cooking with gas! Removed .net frame, downloaded new that carried out repair then could download updates. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Only one problem remaining: how to fix the problem of not being able to download .scm and .zip files. Every time a try is made the screen jumps up and down and looks like it's trying to close but can't.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:25:32 am »
I'll leave that one to Shane  :smiley:

With MS items a repair from Programs and Features can sometimes work.

Right click on the item then click on Change and that will give you the Repair option.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 11:04:29 am »

I spoke too soon. The update downloaded but will not install. The download for .net frame says removing .net frame may cause some functions not to work. I need to know whether this will download capability. Notice from failed installation of updates gave file numbers 80070643 and 80070103. Suggestions?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 11:39:57 am »
Did you use the .net removal tool I gave you a link to?

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 12:23:22 pm »
If it is this one: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx -- yes, but it uses .zip files and they make the computer go crazy.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 12:44:15 pm »
Yes thats the one, what happens when you try to extract the file from the zip? Where you able to run the program and tell it to remove all the .net or did you have trouble getting it extracted?

Shane