Author Topic: This has taken my entire system from my computer.  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Belladella

• View Profile
This has taken my entire system from my computer.
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:16:09 pm »
I installed this via recommendation from a thread I found and I'm hoping it wasn't the biggest mistake of my life and that someone can help me out with what it has done to my computer.
Here is the low down
Windows vista sp2 32bit
Acer Aspire 5315 has been refurbished with updated ram ect...

I installed this because I was trying to fix that my computer wouldn't update and well now I don't need updates at all because I don't have a system anymore. I was told that by doing a disc check through this program it could fix my problem so I made a restore point and went ahead and did so, (note my computer is genuine and since the day I bought it from Acer its only been restored once and before this I only had a problem with my updates) I restarted my computer so the disc check commenced! 1 hour later... 3 hours later.... 5 hours later... I can't do this anymore I'm just watching my laptop constantly restart and do another disc check so on the fifth hour I pressed a button to cancel it and log in.
Oh whats this? My computer is asking me to reactivate windows with my pretty desktop now black with "windows vista (tm) build 6002 this copy of windows is not genuine" so I try to activate it and it won't let me so I exit out and it says something about my desktop missing or its been moved ( no longer have the error as I ran a shadow copy repairthrough this program) and I have no permissions to do anything.

Please help me fix this because I'm having Netflix withdrawals and I quite miss my computer.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: This has taken my entire system from my computer.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:21:31 pm »
My windows repair program didnt do this to your system. The chkdsk is part of the Windows OS, none of my stuff in my program had even ran yet :wink:

So it was Windows checking the drive and fixing any problems it found (Again this is a built in tool in Windows), the fact that it took as long as it did means that check disk found bad sectors on your drive and tried to recover the files, but if it was stopped during that then any file it was trying to recover is most likly corrupt. But most of the time it isnt able to get the data from the bad sector anyways.

Bad sectors means bad hard drive.

You need to backup your important files as soon as you can to another drive or external drive. Then once you have your data backed up and safe (Not to the same drive!) we can dig in more to confirm the drive is bad or not :-)

Shane