Author Topic: Problem with Windows Update => Update blocked after Tweaking Windows repair  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Olivier

• View Profile
Hello!

I'm using Windows 7 64 bits. Recently, I noticed that Windows Update kept installing the same updates each time I started the computer. The updates were successful, but they were installed over and over again all the same. Thus, I went to the Microsoft help forums, where your Windows repair software was recommended to someone else with the same problem. So I tried it. After performing all the steps as recommended, I only repaired Windows Update. Now it has deleted the list of updates performed but also completely blocked Windows update (Code 80073712). I can't update Windows any more! What should I do ? Restore the Backup ?

Best regards.

Olivier Clerc, from Switzerland

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Try running a command prompt as an administrator by going Start - type cmd.exe then select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

This article will show you how to view and post the sfc /scannow CBS log if it reports that it is unable to repair some files. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

This will give Shane something to work on.

The System Update Readiness Tool can also help https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

The second one down is for your system, then try Windows Updates again.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:23:24 am by Boggin »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
- Did you run the program in Safe Mode. I know that in Normal Mode the cleaning of a number of folders is blocked ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Makre sure to run all the repairs and run them in safe mode.

The fact that the same updates kept showing up over and over again means there was a problem deeper in, and when the repair windows updates was ran it rebuilt the windows repair so it starts fresh, which shows a proper error now.

I have actually seen this error when I was testing and purposely went in and destroyed all the windows update registry keys and such in the components section of the registry. I also had it installing the same updates over and over. This was because all kinds of files and registry keys where gone after I deleted them on purpose. (I did this to windows 7 in vmware)

As boggin said the system readiness tool may help :wink:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80073712#1TC=windows-7

The reason it will help is because it will put back a lot of the missing files and registry keys.

Shane

Offline Olivier

• View Profile
Thank you very very much to you all for your fast answers!!!

Sfc /sannow is unable to perform the operation.

I already tried the System Update Readiness Tool from Mircrosoft. The installation works, but then nothing happens.

The Windows Update Diagnostic Tool from Microsoft originally found no problem, then several of them after Windows Repair. Correcting them does not solve the error.

Running Windows Repair again in safe mode with networking unfortunately does not improve the results. (At first, I did not understand what safe mode was, because the name is quite different in my version.) Doing Windows Repair again reminded me of something probably important I forgot to mention: the pre-test detected a corrupt file (C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_50_for_KB2981580~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.2.mum => See attachment). Maybe replacing this corrupt file could help ?

Correcting the reparse points and the environment variables did not change the problem, but added new files with names in English under "my documents". These files had restricted access and could not be used. (I use Windows 7 64 bit in French.)

Do you mean that I should run all the repairs in all the topics ? Or only the default topics ? I only did Windows Updates.

Thank you very much again for your help! Have a nice weekend!

Olivier Clerc

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
That one file shouldnt cause the problem. For me, on the test system in vmware I got the identical problem you have when I removed all the registry keys under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Components (This one only shows up in regedit when you run windows updates, otherwise it isnt loaded)

Those are the two main registry locations windows uses to install the updates, when they get messed up then windows updates will simply fail.

Have you checked the cbs.log file yet to see if it gives any info?

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As the sfc /scannow failed to run, open a command prompt as an admin again and enter chkdsk /r

It will tell you that it cannot be run while the volume is mounted and prompt you to type and enter y

When you've done this enter exit to close the command window then reboot and let it do its thing.

This has 5 stages and can take a while to complete if it finds corruption.

To view the chkdsk report after it has completed and rebooted, go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

This will open Event Viewer - when it has read the logs, expand Windows Logs - click on Applications - Action - Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Close the Find box and use the scrollable window to read the report.

You can post that by clicking on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane.

Place the cursor in the Reply box, right click and select Paste.