Author Topic: (solved)would 2 gb ram for my intel mothre board spoil the boot  (Read 20337 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, I have added one more gb to my existing one gb.But if i try to boot the computer, the yellow light just flashes a second and then monitor starts blinking as if computer is not powered on. i tried this for quick speed browsing of explorer and browsers. But, computer would not start. I thought for a while and removed the additional 1 gb and now it boots normally.
                               My question is whether the mobo does not support 2 gb even when there is provision of 4 slots in my mother board dimm.
                              Or the slot is defective ? and so the problem arises. When i did that numerous error including windows failed to start a recent hardware or software might be the cause. would anybody thro some light on this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:04:27 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: would 2 gb ram for my intel mothre board spoil the boot
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:45:41 am »
This can happen when you fit mismatched RAM modules, but to check the max your motherboard can take, run Crucial's Scanner. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

The free version of Speccy will show you the details of your existing RAM module which you can use to ID the correct additional module(s) you require. https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Where you have 4 DIMM sockets, to utilise both channels, initially use DIMM sockets 1 and 3 and for any more modules, 2 and 4.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:17:41 am »
Hi, Boggin,
                   I found from testing that 2 gb ram is allowed in the slots. But when i check with the link, the enclosed is the result. What is the maximum, ram, that my pc at present supports. My hard disk of 320 and 250 gb are burnt with external power surge and so those could not be replaced also. Now I am having only 150 gb pata, not sata with old taps looks like bandaged computer. I am thinking of using it as long at it lasts. It has been working fine for more than 10years and I plan to buy one new .
                       I also found that one of the ram is not working even though it is showing in the total memory. Why i do not know.
                                I could not understand the manufacturer limitation. If the board has the memory then if it is not  damaged or otherwise, it should accept the ram. Is not it?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:18:38 am »
I forgot to add the enclosure. Pl find here

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:34:11 am »
The max amount of RAM that your PC supports would depend upon the OS you are using.

e.g. - A Win 7 x32 will only support up to 4GB and will actually only recognize about 3½ of that, whereas Win 7 x64 I believe will support up to 128GB but that is also motherboard dependent.

Your motherboard according to Crucial will max out at 4GB.

Which slot did you find not to work and did you try the new RAM module on its own in all slots ?

According to Crucial you can use either the DDR PC2700 or the DDR PC3200 but not together - it's either two or more of one or two or more of the other.

Does the new RAM module match your original one ?

I think if you are going to replace your computer I wouldn't bother with spending money on adding RAM.

Contact the company you bought the RAM from and ask for a RMA and tell them that your motherboard had gone tits up before you received the new one, so that it is no longer needed.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 04:56:14 am »
Hi, boggins
                         There are 4 slots. And i do not know how to use 2 g b. Previously, i had only 512 mb ram and added the 11 g b ram on another slot. But after two or three boots, my computer experienced problem in booting. Monitor switching off. Then i removed the ram from 512 mb slot and it worked and booted normally. There are two blue slots and two black slots. I think two blue slots would support 1 gb and it is single channel layer . The other two are black which would support dual layer rams. I do not know much about those intricacies. But i have checked the two blue slots with 1 gb each but my old 1 gb ram is recognised  in boot, it is not booting normally and i am getting  screen of start up repairs. But it would not do anything and looping in the repair and then will say startup could not repair your computer or to that effect. My new ram which i added worked perfectly well in the two slots , which my old ram fails.
Could i check the black one which supports dual layer ram? I am enclosing herewith the product guide to my mobo. Please tell, how could i check the other ram. Could i use the dual layer for my 1 gb ram . So that i could  test if it works . But certainly i did know that one blue slot is recognising but not fully. Or it recognises the ram but the circuit or the other specifics are not working . Pl see pages 36 onwards and advise

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:35:22 am »
From reading that, if you have 2x1GB sticks and 512MB stick, you put the two 1GB sticks in both the Blue slots and add the 512MB stick into the first of the Black ones.

Putting say, 1x1GB and the 512MB both into Blue could cause problems as they are best fitted in pairs.

What I would do is to just stick the same stick into each of the slots in turn to see if those slots work and then repeat with the other sticks, but it sounds as though your old 1GB stick is failing/failed.

Stick the good 1GB into the first of the Blue and the 512MB into the first of the black and that should work if trying individual sticks in all slots allows the computer to boot normally.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 07:47:20 am »
I looked at the documentation (page 36 & 37). Based on that I concluded the following:
-  Try this: Place the 512 MB (the stick with the smallest memory) in Channel A (DIMM 0) and place the 1 GB (stick with the larger memory)in Channel B (DIMM 0).
- If you want to expand the memory then you must fill DIMM 0 first (Channel A first and then B) and after that DIMM 1 (Channel A first and then B).
- Run Piriform's SPECCY. It's a good program that can pull up what kind of memory you have.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 01:57:45 am »
hi, my computer doe not boot. it stops at failure boot screen. when i cleaned the hdd and tried to reinstall win seven, it stops at windows loading files ribbon, the monitor auto stops.i tried xp and it also stopped at the intial loading itself. i checked and found  that the ram is gone. comp  technician has  given ddr 400  pc 2300 BUT  it does not seem to be compatible with motherboard which says  either ddrin ;l 400 or ddr 333 as compatible. do i need to change the ram to one of these. how to know that ddr 400 pc2300 is incompatible by input in another computer as boggins link above could not be executed in affected computer. would you kindly advise whether  it is compatible or is this the source of problem the monitor blinks after loading ribbons in win seven and stops at initial loading at xp. ;but when i chekced during working, iit is shown as compatible ram in the boggin link

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 02:05:47 am »
Can you post the motherboard number so that I can look at the specs.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 06:54:07 am »
See reply #5.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 07:12:21 am »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 07:22:45 am »
According to the Crucial scan, you would want the 1GB DDR PC2700 which is 2.5V

It's unclear what you have been trying as putting a RAM module into another computer to check it isn't going to work unless the motherboards are identical or the other mobo uses the same spec.

Can you give us a recap of what you have tried and have you checked what the new stick is ?

I think I would have tried to get the memory sorted before reinstalling as hardware trumps software.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 08:24:55 pm »
Hi, Boggin   The problem i thought was that my old ram finishes and the technician given one not  compatible as the monitor stops and flicking on and ff , at the stage i posted. Yesterday, i have taken the pc to my technician and there i could see that it goes past everything and installation could be done. But i told my experience. He said the two rams are working perfectly , and suggested to use one ram at a time for maximum performance and his ram is also compatible to my mother board. But sometimes, one ram diminishes the retention memory of other ram. This could be seen from processor tries to run and you get overheat messages. In that case, he asked me to take away one ram and run with one ram. I came to know that ram sticks are no issue.
                                   I  think probably the monitor resolution is the problem. He says that he will correct it. Probably true. He has loaded a trial version of win 7 ser pack 1 by using his lcd monitor. Mine is crt lg 700 monitor. So, probably the drivers for his monitor resolution would have been fixed when he installed his version. So, when i tried  to boot, i was getting this problem of resolution and computer monitor auto closes and flicking. strange. I tried to default bios settings and also took out the cmos battery and short circuited to completely restore the factory bios settings. But thlyis has not touched the screen resolution settings , i think, and so it does not work. I was often greeted with alert that windows did not start successfully. a recent hardware or software would have caused error ultimately let to start up repairs and finally that those could not be done and no boot.
               Is there a way how could this be solved. Normally tech   guys are only asking as the system and not monitor when asking for repair. why this has happened even when i restored the bios to older date. Load drivers could not be used to install graphic drivers  as they are exes. He says me to buy a lcd monitor which support high resolution if he could not fix the resolution problem. Pl give me suggestion now.                   

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 09:01:39 pm »
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15856-device-manager-access-during-windows-7-installation.html
Please see this link. Is it possible to run install as suggested. Because, once you load the windows, then only you could safe mode everything. How it is possible to allow boot from dvd menu and then press f8 to boot in safe mode.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 03:07:35 am »
Hi, all i even tried to disable pci express my video card in the bios and tried. i want to know the reason for this behaviour. I assume that when my computer is connected to the lcd monitor which has higher resolution than my crt monitor, the os is possible to install. but when the same was connected  to my old monitor, it went awry.how to set resolution during install.since win seven os installs drivers on the installation of os, it is possible that it could have adopted higher resolution. with my limited knowledge in this boot process, i could only think of factory reset of bios, which i did. but still could not succeed. is there an y difference in  the bios settings due to the installation of os with different monitors will give different results. so os is interdependent on the monitor and mobo undoubtedly

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 08:06:06 am »
For one RAM module to pull another down and cause overheating, then either the module is defective or the slot is.

You computer is designed to run up to 4GB of RAM so you should otherwise be able to use the 2x1GB sticks.

As for that Win 7 tutorial, I don't understand it either as you are booting up with the install disk and not opening in Windows as you would for a repair install.

If you were opening the install disk in Windows, you could tap F8 to go into the Advanced Boot options to select Safe Mode and then insert the disk, but once the Custom install starts, I don't see how that's possible - perhaps Shane will have a different take on it.

I don't have any experience of desktop settings (using a laptop) and the only way I know how to change the resolution is in All Control Panel Items and click on Display then on Change Resolution or using the settings in CCC for my AMD chip.

Googling cannot install win 7 using crt monitor came up with a number of links which I think you should check out and may give you some ideas which you could apply.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 09:29:43 pm »
Hi boggin tnk u the qtn is not installing win7 with crt momitors but running of win 7 installed with higher reso mntr with  lower reso mntr which is the   problem i faced this time

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 02:48:46 am »
See if this article helps - there's a bit on CRT monitors lower down the page. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/adjust-your-monitor-for-better-screen-resolution-in-windows-7

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 08:02:56 am »
hi, boggins,\\
                  the problem is that os could not be loaded since nothing could be done, the hdd was cleaned fully. But the os which was installed by the technician with his lcd monitor, could not be booted with crt monitor which has lesser resolution. tbe crt sett ings could not be attempted. today, technician says that there is mother board issue connected . Boggin, could the video card be removed and os installed and then video card is inserted. would we able to see the loading if this is the problem. I mean would the windows default load its own resolution while installing, the video driver of mobo, be installed later after the install of windows. the cmos battery removal had not solved the problem or it was not as it should be . the bios if could be restored to factory defaults then there should be no problem in installing os now with my crt monitor. i did not experiment with this idea.

If what boggins say that the mobo is the issue either in the slot or in the peripherals, then it has to be repaired. If it involves replacement of mobo, then i think it is worth to reconsider buying a assembled set of latest intel five core mother board with required , so to say a new computer . since the rams are working, i think, that if the technician knows how to factory set the bios, then the issue would be over.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 08:16:47 am »
So the problem is not being able to install Win 7 using a CRT monitor ?

When you disabled the graphics card before, that should have invoked the on board VGA or do you have to plug the monitor into a separate port/socket for the VGA ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 08:40:59 am »
No. what i say is your view that mobo monitor and os are interlinked in a way that computer works. My problem as i described is that my tech installed the os with his lcd monitor, which could not be booted with my crt monitor. my repeated attempts to startup repair totally made it impossible to even attempt to repair.
                                 I came across this in my googling about problems in installing the win 7,  which you could do by simply removing the video card and then replace after the os install. But i do not know the technicalities involved in attempting as i thought that if you do not have video card, then you cannot see anything in the monitor. Hence i asked for your advice. I tried disabling the pc express in bios, but it was not successful.
                                       Better dispose the old computer and go for new one would be  the best possible solution. If mobo is replaced  then other parts would be incompatible and i have to change every part. i could as well a assembled new one instead. but if there is anything could be done to give life to this old pc which played with me for more than ten years, i would be happy to work with this one. if it is a small problem of soldering somewhere in mobo then it it ok .thanks for your advice.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 09:04:44 am »
Have you tried starting up by using "Enable low-resolution video (640x480)" in the boot options?

Then perhaps you could try uninstalling  and then reinstalling the graphics card and setting it to a compatible resolution for your monitor?

Be sure to have the appropriate drivers somewhere handy  :wink:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 09:07:18 am »
On a desktop you would normally have a graphics card which you could uninstall in Device Manager, but booting up into Safe Mode will also isolate the GPU and use the on board VGA instead and then perhaps you could right click on the desktop and select Screen resolution to see if you can improve it.

My last link gives settings to use for a CRT monitor providing your monitor is capable of the higher settings.

I'm still not clear on the RAM - does it work with 2x1GB sticks in the blue bank or not ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2015, 10:07:33 pm »
Hi, all
               It turned out to be failure of mother board. Firstly, i got the message cpu was shut down due to thermal heat (over heating ) press f4 to resume. But subsequently, this has also stopped and my monitor went blank, even though i could see the windows installation going on with hdd indicator.
                           The technician told me to change the mb and processor and matched processor fan. I have done that after there is no problem. Now i am back as usual. Thanks for willy and boggins and samson