Author Topic: Prescan Repaired all but 4 Reparse Junctions Points  (Read 6680 times)

Offline Lance

• View Profile
Prescan Repaired all but 4 Reparse Junctions Points
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:04:33 pm »
Update:
Hi Shane, I did run Chkdsk/R several times in conjunction with your all-in-one program, but it always came up with nothing wrong.  One thing I noticed with all the misbehaving apps was it always involved either write errors or file access errors.  I know your all-in-one program will reset default file permissions, but I didn't see that it would reset default file ownership. So, in searching around I found a free program that resets default file ownership of any folder selected.  I ran this program on both the windows folder and the users folder, and by itself, it didn't do anything to fix the underlying problem, but when followed by your program that resets the default file permissions, it was this combo that did the trick, and everything is running fine now.
Maybe if this feature was incorporated into your all-in-one, it would make a great program even better.
Thank you for your great website and all the helpful advice you provide. It is much appreciated.
Best regards,
Lance 

Hi Shane,
Your all-in-one tool is very powerful and very cool!  Thank you!!!
My issue started a couple months ago my Sony Vaio laptop (win7) where some apps started randomly misbehaving, along with experiencing random installation (write) errors.  I tried every MS and non-MS diagnostic tool I could find to diagnose the problem but came up short.
So, I figured I'd upgrade to Win8, which I thought would take care of whatever was wrong.  After following all the standard precautions (uninstalling AV, updating drivers, etc), the migration turned out to be a total disaster, where the computer would barely boot. It was acting so funky that I decided to do a Win8 "refresh", thinking this would surely fix whatever was wrong since all the windows files would be updated.  The refresh seem to stabilize things but it was still acting up when it came to the apps. I tried all the tools again after the Win8 refresh but again, came up with nothing.
Then I came across your all-in-one tool, and after running it twice through the 40+ bank of configuration tweaks, the computer got to a very stable point where there are no red flags at all with the exception of still having these random app errors.  So, I'm thinking they surely must be related to the missing reparse points in the attached prescan.  Note, I was able to use elevated cmd promts to o fix some recursive infinite loops and add in some missing target directories, but I can't seem to get the mklink cmd syntax right for manually creating the missing default reparse points.
So, please look at the attachments and advise on the exact syntax I should be using to create the missing directory junction links.
Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Lance
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:45:27 pm by Lance »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Prescan Repaired all but 4 Reparse Junctions Points
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:01:08 pm »
If those two user profiles are not in use then those missing points wont cause any problems.

Have you done a bad sector check on the drive yet?

You can do that with the program to have it scan at next boot, open then windows repair program and go to step 3, then click on the bottom button to open the check disk at next boot tool.

When that opens put the option on /R and click add to next boot. Then reboot the computer, when windows starts up it will run the windows chkdsk on the drive and check for bad sectors as well, if it is a large drive then that scan can take a long time.

Once it is done it will reboot and the chkdsk results will be in the event viewer, where we can see if there was any bad sectors found. :wink:

Shane

Offline Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 12:47:23 pm »
Update:
Hi Shane, I did run Chkdsk/R several times in conjunction with your all-in-one program, but it always came up with nothing wrong.  One thing I noticed with all the misbehaving apps was it always involved either write errors or file access errors.  I know your all-in-one program will reset default file permissions, but I didn't see that it would reset default file ownership. So, in searching around I found a free program that resets default file ownership of any folder selected.  I ran this program on both the windows folder and the users folder, and by itself, it didn't do anything to fix the underlying problem, but when followed by your program that resets the default file permissions, it was this combo that did the trick, and everything is running fine now.
Maybe if this feature was incorporated into your all-in-one, it would make a great program even better.
Thank you for your great website and all the helpful advice you provide. It is much appreciated.
Best regards,
Lance 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:31:01 pm »
My program restores the default permissions and owners for the default system folders and files, if it didnt work the first time then something must have been keeping it from doing it, yet after you change the owner you where able to have the program restore the default permissions.

Very interesting, I would have loved to find out what was causing that and dig into it, without being able to replicate it I wont be able to add anything for it. I need a way to replicate the problem, then I can test away and find a fix for it :-)

Shane