Author Topic: Pre Repairs Scan Quandary  (Read 6489 times)

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
Pre Repairs Scan Quandary
« on: May 05, 2015, 04:53:35 pm »
On a Toshiba Satellite 64 bit laptop running W7 Home Premium SP1 I ran the Pre Repairs Scan and got the included attachment. 

It tells me Scan Complete - Problems Found!   Please Check The Log For More Information.  What log?  The log file in Windows Repair (All In One)\Logs is empty. 

Obviously I need help with these errors.  I began to download the System Update Readiness Tools, but it looks like it's still got HOURS to got before it's complete

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
Re: Pre Repairs Scan Quandary
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:38:49 pm »
The System Update Readiness Tool has finally downloaded.  When I click on it I get screen 1 for about 30 minutes, followed by screen 2.

I am using a different computer for this reply - I can only do a quick reply on the problem laptop (and no attachments on a quick reply) - when I hit (normal) reply, I get disconnected from the network.  So now I am running the Repairs.

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 02:26:25 pm »
Well, to answer my own topic yet again... The repairs ran successfully - the log file for Repair_Windows_Updates was over 3.5MG - it REALLY deleted a lot of files.  After the repairs and a restart, I attempted to install 56 updates.  It ran for at least an hour, finally giving me a msg that the 56 updates were canceled (no error code), and giving me an option to retry.  The retry did the trick - all 56 updates were successfully downloaded and installed.

I am now running a full MSE scan for the first time - this had a corrupted AVG application that I had to use an AVG uninstaller to remove.

The MSE scan has now been running for just over 15 hours - it appears to be about 85% complete, and it has scanned over 3.5 million files. 

Assuming I'm not just talking to myself, does that seem like a lot of files and a lot of time?  If I set this up to run a full scan every week at 1:00AM Monday and it runs for say 17 hours, the laptop would be useless until 6:00PM Monday evening.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 04:41:09 pm »
Good to hear the windows repair got the updates working.  :cheesy:

As for the scan, the more files to scan the longer it takes, 3.5 million seems like WAY, WAY to many files on the system. On my heavy installed system I only have 250,000 files. But MS does scan inside compressed files so that would increase the number, but not to over 3.5 million.

Have you ran the windows disk cleanup yet and had it cleanup everything? I am curious how much it finds to clean.

Shane

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »
Good to hear the windows repair got the updates working.  :cheesy:
Yeah, your app got it working (on the 2nd try - but who's counting?) after the Windows Update Readiness
Tool came up small.  I was minutes away from a complete reformat and reinstall when the 'retry' on the updates was successful.
As for the scan, the more files to scan the longer it takes, 3.5 million seems like WAY, WAY to many files on the system. On my heavy installed system I only have 250,000 files. But MS does scan inside compressed files so that would increase the number, but not to over 3.5 million.
And strangely enough, this shows up as a 282GB HDD with 242GB free.  I have no idea where the 3.5 mil are...
Have you ran the windows disk cleanup yet and had it cleanup everything? I am curious how much it finds to clean.
One of the things I did BEFORE the MSE scan was to run the Disk Cleanup.  It hardly found anything - maybe 60-70 MGs.  I checked everything and removed what there was.  When the MSE scan finally ended, it found nothing.  I'm currently running ESET Online Scanner, and it's about halfway done

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:04:02 pm »
Then the large amount of files must have just been adding up the files that are in zip and cab files and such. So I wouldn't worry about it then :-)

The odd thing is, yes I have seen where running the repairs a 2nd time does the trick. Mainly because the first time through it most likely fixed something that was keeping the other repairs from being successful, and then after the reboot and it is ran again those other repairs are successful and it works.

I wonder if I should add that to the tips page on how running it a 2nd time can be a good thing. Part of it is that some of the repairs in Windows dont take hold until a reboot, so even if I had the program run the repairs again that reboot is still needed first.

Shane