Author Topic: Exe file associations not working  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Gay Backpacker

• View Profile
Exe file associations not working
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:30:38 am »
Windows 7 Ultimate on a Lenovo T410 Laptop.  I'm an end user.  I think somewhat sophisticated, but I never use regedit. 

When acrobat did an update it somehow changed all of my exe file associations to open as a file in acrobat in one proflie.  After 6 hours on the phone with microsoft and another 3 hours with Norton, norton solved the problem with my main work profile. 

But I'd forgotten that at the same time all of my exe files in a different profile were opening in Windows Media Center (I still blame Acrobat).

Unfortunately, I can't run Tweaking.com on the bad proflile (I'm really sure it is NOT a virus--just somethign acrobat did in an update)--because when I click on it, it brings up the Windows Media Center.

I ran tweaking in safe mode with networking in the profile that works, but that didn't change the file associations in the other profile. 

And I purchased the pro license.   

Thanks.   

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Exe file associations not working
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:04:23 pm »
If the exe is opening with the wrong thing you can fix it easily :-)

In the folder of my windows repair program, go to the files folder and then right click on "fix_exe_hijack.inf" and click install. This will fix the exe association. If that doesnt work you can also go to "files\regfiles\file_associations\7" and double click on the exe.reg file as well.

That should put the exe back to default.

Shane