Author Topic: Unlock Drive  (Read 17280 times)

Offline spooz2

• View Profile
Unlock Drive
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:14:40 am »
Using Win 8.1 64 bit

Attempting to use Recovery option, "Refresh your PC,"  I receive message instructing to UnLock Drive.

I have googled this to near death, but i have not found a method to unlock the drive.

TIA,

spooz2

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unlock Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
Did you get any error messages when fixing the MBR or have you not tried that yet ?

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/#Fix_the_MBR_in_Windows_8_or_81

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html#bootrec

A Paragon Rescue Disk has a series of Boot Sector repairs which you could try. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/download.html

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 10:52:22 am »
- Try a program called "Unlocker".
- I know one can "Lock" a drive with a number of commands that are baked into the disk firmware. And I also experienced that that lock can be activated by software (malware). If that's the case then one needs special software to "unlock" the drive. But I can't remember from which corner of the internet I pulled up that software.

Offline spooz2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:13:25 am »
Boggin:  I used MBR Wizard to fix MBR errors 1 & 2, confirming with bootrec fixMBR, fixBoot, and RebuildBCD in Commnd Prompt.

Now when I boot, I get the following:  "Realtek PCIe Controller Series v.125 etc.  PXE-E61:Media Test Failure, check cable.
"PXE=M0F" exiting PXE ROM.  No Boot Device Found, press any key to reboot..   NO CIGAR!!

If I hit F8 & F12  during boot I can get to BIOS and select Window Manager which takes me to normal Windows. Other BIOS optons inoperable.

When I boot from bootable USB containing Win 8.1 Installation, I get to " Repair Your Computer/TroubleShoot/Refresh or Reset your PC.  When I choose Refresh, I get the "Unlock your Drive" and try again.

I will try Paragon & report back.

Willy2.....I will search for Unlocker

Thanks guys!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 03:40:20 pm »
A little more info please.

What is the make & model of the computer and to save me looking this up, is this a laptop or desktop ?

Why were you trying to recover it in the first place and when you got into the BIOS, what was the Boot order showing as ?

If Paragon doesn't resolve, when you can boot Windows normally using Windows Manager - do you have Internet ?

I'd like you to download HD Sentinal which will give a report on your HDD http://www.hdsentinel.com/

The green download button will give you a 30 day free trial, but uninstalling it when done allows you continued use when reinstalling it from the Downloads folder.

If you don't have connectivity then you can save it on another machine and copy across to the Downloads folder where you can run its install Application.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:00:51 pm by Boggin »

Offline spooz2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:31:05 am »
Inspiron NoteBook 15 (Inspiron3521)

Unknown reason, attempted boot showed MBR error 1 & 2 Used MBRWizard to fix MBR. Subsequent boot showed Disk Error.

Ran chkdsk /r....no errors!

Next, F2 into BIOS which showed Legacy mode w/optional UEFI BOOTgreyed out.

F8/F12 No Boot Priority available in Boot Manager.

As reported earlier I WAS able to boot into normal Windows via Window Boot Manager and Refresh/Reset.  USB available (No built-in DVD player).  Due to further attempts to correct problem, I no longer can boot in Windows via Windows Boot Manager.

Obviously, no internet now available. Somehow, I screwed this up too. 3rd party tools assessible via USB which has Win 8.1 installation files &  is bootable to Windows Install (Logo) page which gives assess to Refresh, Reset, Advanced Options etc. via Repair this PC lower left of page.

CrystalDiskInfo & GSmart show HD in good health.

Have not tried Paragon stuff which is  tranferable from my other PC to problem NoteBook via its USB.

Repeat current state:  Windows not available.  Only USB Win 8.1 installation.

Paragon stuff next!

I get the feeling that I have reduced my options to a full install of Windows 8.1.

TIA

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 08:45:54 am »
For some reason or other the Boot process is slipping past the Boot sector of the HDD and because it cannot find a media with an OS, it ended up on the last Boot option of LAN and because that didn't have an OS because its function is somewhat more involved (above my head) http://www.howtogeek.com/57601/what-is-network-booting-pxe-and-how-can-you-use-it/ it returned the Realtek Media Test Failure error and was why I wanted you to check the condition of your HDD.

As no problems have been found with the HDD and a chkdsk /r will have also repaired the MFT, I'm still hopeful that Paragon will help.

I'm also wondering if resetting the CMOS on your machine would help if you can still get into the BIOS and that option is still available -

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN284985/EN

Depending upon what the manual says for your model, you may also be able to reset the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes.

I'd hang slack on a reinstall as Shane may have a workaround for this Lock up problem, but as he doesn't work weekends, he maybe back sometime today or tomorrow.

BTW - Is the laptop still under warranty ?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:05:04 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:14:29 am »
I have seen the unlock your drive before, normally it means that the drive wasn't properly unmounted, and chkdsk normally fixes it. But with Windows 8 and the pain in the butt EFI bios protecting the master boot record this becomes a lot harder.

If Windows was installed with EFI enabled it may need to be enabled for Windows to repair it. Otherwise when I turn EFI or I should say UEFI off I then delete the drive partitions and install fresh. But I dont think you want to do that lol

But from the sounds of it, UEFI was used, the master boot recorded has been corrupted and so Windows 8 is being a punk about it, thinking the drive is locked, when it isnt. This is one of the reasons I hate UEFI and never use it, if my system or a customers goes down i want to be able to fix it like I always could and not have to mess with this crap :tongue:

If you are up for it, it might be good to disable the UEFI, and in store bought machine that is normally done by turning off secure boot.

Shane

Offline geometer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 07:43:26 am »
Shane,

Unable to turn off secure boot.  Unable to change mode to Legacy (Standard).  Is a full format installation my only option?

TIA

spooz2

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:30 am »
Does the Reset option also report Locked drive ?

The Paragon disk has a file transfer wizard which should allow you to get in to back up your personal stuff if you have to go back to square one.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 03:37:41 pm »
Well I know on my wifes acer switch 10 I got her, the only way to turn off secure boot in the bios was to set a supervisor password first. I have no clue why they made it that way, it is a really bad design, but it was the only way to unlock the options to turn off secure boot.

Perhaps your bios is similar?

Shane

Offline geometer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 10:24:04 am »
Shane,

Eureka! Your suggestion to set a password did the trick!

I was able to change the drive mode from EUFI to Legacy (Standard)

However, when I re-booted I received the following:

1.  Drive is in Legacy (Standard) mode.
2.  Attempt to boot results in screen showing this:  "Realtech PCIe Family Controller, Series v.125 (04/09/11
                                                                                                   PXE - E61: Media Test Failure, CHECK CABLE

PXE - M0F:  Exiting PXE ROM, No Boot Device Found
                                                                                                       PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT"

Using a neat little program, RUFUS, I am able to create a bootable USB flash drive.  Google provided me with the only repair  program, "BootRepairDisk" which came as an ISO.  Unfortunately, it did not fix
the problem

Can you recommend an ISO based repair program?

If not, any further suggestions?

TIA

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:21 pm »
Then the bios is still seeing the hard drive has having a EUFI boot sector and not a normal MBR. So it isnt offering it as a boot option since UFI is disabled.

What happens when you turn the system on and hit the boot options key, which I think is F12, it should bring up the boot menu, does the drive show up there?

Shane

Offline geometer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 10:51:39 am »
No.  Also, no Boot Priority device list.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 01:58:25 pm »
Then the bios is seeing it as a EFI boot, yet the boot is corrupted. This is going to be a pain. A reinstall might be faster and less of a headache lol

I dont know what tool would be best to try and fix it as I dont mess with the EFI boot record normally, the MBR would have been easy to fix. But for EFI and with the security key tide to it and everything else, I dont know what the best fix is for it. This is one of the reasons I hate it lol

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 04:42:57 pm »
A Google for a fix for this produced a number of links including a paid for boot auto repair disk, this article seemed promising and while you can assign any letter you like - perhaps Shane could advise on that. http://www.itechs-systems.com/fix_corrupt_UEFI_partition.aspx

If you don't have a Win 8.1 boot disk, then this article shows you how to get the ISO to burn one. https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

Offline geometer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 01:13:03 pm »
I thought, finally, a solution at hand thanks to Boggin, a hero, and Shane, the Master of Tweeting.com.

But, alas, when i proceeded to the Coomand Prompt, it was inoperable as it requires "Andminstor's Rights."

What say you?

TIA

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 02:49:12 pm »
In Step 5 of the article where it tells you to select Command Prompt, do you also get the option for Command Prompt (Admin) ?

In Win 7 when you boot with an install disk and navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt, that auto has admin elevation and would have thought the same would be true of Win 8.1.

With not having 8.1 there are a lot of things I am unable to check out for myself - perhaps Shane needs to ride in on his trusty steed again :lol

Did you ever get around to creating a Paragon Rescue disk and trying its MBR repairs ?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 03:10:34 pm by Boggin »

Offline geometer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 06:47:16 am »
Hello Boggin,

AAARGH!  Somehow, I now cannot see my USB bootable drive.  All I get is "automatic repair...diagnosing PC" back to "autmatic repair" endless looping.

This means that I can't even operate the Win 8.1 installation files thereon for a clean installation!

I took a look at the Paragon Rescue Disk, and learned that it was bootable.  Another instance of my putting the horse before the cart.  Too late I am afraid!

Incidentally, did you ever post the disks for Win 7 Pro as you generously offered to do?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 03:19:25 pm »
If your Win 7 machine is operable then you can create the bootable media on that, but I believe to change the boot order in Win 8/81 you have to disable Secure Boot.

PM sent regarding disks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:22:47 pm by Boggin »

Offline geometer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 04:01:22 am »
Solved, sort of.  Finally, bit the bullet and did a clean install.  Many thanks for all the help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 10:16:17 am »
I hate secure boot lol

Shane