Author Topic: Hung on ChkDsk  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Texan2000

• View Profile
Hung on ChkDsk
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:08:09 am »
Last night on an HP laptop, running Win 8.1; I ran through all of the tabs on Tweaking.  On the last one, I left it running and checked the box to "SHUTDOWN WHEN FINISHED".  This is my first time running the program.  This morning when I booted up, it immediately began ChkDsk and I have now been hung on 10% complete for 4 hours.  Is this normal?  From reading the threads, I assume it is not.  This is also my first encounter with Win 8.1; I pressed F8 to boot in Safe Mode but nothing happened.  Is there a different way to get into Safe Mode in Win 8.1?  Any help would be appreciated.  I know Shane is busy moving.

Offline Texan2000

• View Profile
Re: Solved Hung on ChkDsk
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 11:29:02 am »
Finally got by chkdsk.  Had about 5ms to hit key to bypass it.  Now proceeding to complete repairs.  Thanks Tweaking.com!

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hung on ChkDsk
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:42:25 pm »
windows 8.1 they disabled the f8key in safe mode I uploaded a batch file to help you get into safe mode fast. just run this as admin and select option 2.

Last night on an HP laptop, running Win 8.1; I ran through all of the tabs on Tweaking.  On the last one, I left it running and checked the box to "SHUTDOWN WHEN FINISHED".  This is my first time running the program.  This morning when I booted up, it immediately began ChkDsk and I have now been hung on 10% complete for 4 hours.  Is this normal?

looks like in the repair all in one on step 3 you chose the open check disk at next boot. And waited to finish all the repairs before rebooting the pc.  if you can can you post me the chkdsk log it did from this morning? it should be in the event viewer I uploaded a picture on where it should be located at in the event viewer for you.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:04:50 am »
You need to click on Application/Find then type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box then read the report in the lower pane.

If you want to post the report, click on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then you can directly paste the report into the reply box.

I don't know why when you do that it duplicates the report, but you could edit it before posting.

F8 was done away with for Win 8/8.1 as it boots up too quickly to tap F8.

This article describes alternative methods to boot up into Safe Mode. http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:08:50 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:24:05 am »
If chkdsk isnt moving forward it may have found a bad sector and was trying to read the data off of t, if that is the case you need to get your data off that drive asap, so first thing is first, backup your data, then do (Open a cmd.exe as administrator)

chkdsk c: /r

It will say it cant and would you like to do it at next boot, hit Y and then reboot, it should do a chkdsk before windows loads and it will look for bad sectors. Once done post the log (It will be in the event viewer)

It can take hours for this scan, but if it doesnt move forward after a very long time then chances are it has bad sectors. lets make sure :-)

Shane