Author Topic: Backup and Restore shortcuts not working after running windows repair  (Read 5269 times)

Offline petermdn

• View Profile
Hi,

I installed and ran Windows Repair all-in-one yesterday for the first time on 2 separate machines.  Ran in safe mode and selected All Repairs.  OS on both machines is Windows 7 64 bit.

After completing the repairs, the Backup and Restore shortcut on both machines did not work.  ie. nothing happened when clicking on Backup and Restore via the start menu (not even the backup/restore window would open up).  The only way of getting it to work was via control panel > system and security and then clicking on the backup and restore heading in green text.  Even clicking on the blue "back up your computer" link underneath the green heading did not do anything.  I checked the shortcut properties and the target was still listed correctly.

This has never been a problem prior to running the repairs so today I restored the registry and immediately all backup and restore shortcuts worked again.

Just wondering if you know which of the 33 repairs might have been responsible for this and why this may have occurred?

Also for computers that are running relatively ok and do not have any obvious major problems, which of the 33 repairs (if any) would you recommend using for regular general routine maintenance without causing any problems?

Thanks,
Peter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
If restoring the registry did the trick then we know it is in the registry.

The only thing I can think of is the register system files has been updated. When you register dll and ocx files they write themselves to the registry. If you could help me trace down which repair is doing it then I can know for sure :-)

Shane