Author Topic: not really a request more like a suggestion.  (Read 4686 times)

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
not really a request more like a suggestion.
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
So I have a list of blocking sites and cookies of known bad sites... what you think I'm not sure if it will bog a system down though

blocked sites/domains 4807

Blocked cookies 213
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:16:23 PM by Julian »
Julian

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: not really a request more like a suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
I know some people are fans of these, such as huge amount of sites being added to the hosts file and such.

The thing is, every single new connection you make will access the host file or registry locations to check for it first. So when making a lot of connections you will notice a lag as you wait for it to read them each time. I have had multiple customers who have done this and wondered why sites and everything where slow to load at first, but once the connection was made the internet was fine.

As for myself I never use the block site lists. Mainly because of this reason. I know there is a debate on how much of a slow down it causes, of course the speed of the system, the speed of the drives and such makes a difference.

Just imagine having, say 5000 entries of blocked sites in the hosts files. Every time your system makes a new connection, before it does its dns lookup, it looks at the host file first. It has to loop through all 5000 entries to see if it is there or not and then it moves on. Then when it isnt in there it goes to the dns server, then caches the ip that is returned. I do know it wont look at the dns again while it is in cache until it times out, but I dont know about the hosts file. No think about this happening for every single connection.

Heck just going to one website will spawn about 20 connections because of all the scripts, ads, images and so on it connects to and downloads. :wink:

So as you can see this is a double edged sword. While I prefer to have my performance at its best, I also know better then to go to crap sites and I dont fall for the fake ones. But what about users who dont know any better? Think about the users who fall for the fake ads and download crap and get their machines infected, or who think every ad or picture that pops up on a site must be the real deal.

So it is the same double edge sword as an antivirus. It doesnt protect against everything and there is a price to pay in the name of performance for protection. So it really comes down to the user themselves as there is no perfect answer that can be applied to every person.

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:02:33 AM »
I know some people are fans of these, such as huge amount of sites being added to the hosts file and such.

The thing is, every single new connection you make will access the host file or registry locations to check for it first. So when making a lot of connections you will notice a lag as you wait for it to read them each time. I have had multiple customers who have done this and wondered why sites and everything where slow to load at first, but once the connection was made the internet was fine.

As for myself I never use the block site lists. Mainly because of this reason. I know there is a debate on how much of a slow down it causes, of course the speed of the system, the speed of the drives and such makes a difference.

Just imagine having, say 5000 entries of blocked sites in the hosts files. Every time your system makes a new connection, before it does its dns lookup, it looks at the host file first. It has to loop through all 5000 entries to see if it is there or not and then it moves on. Then when it isnt in there it goes to the dns server, then caches the ip that is returned. I do know it wont look at the dns again while it is in cache until it times out, but I dont know about the hosts file. No think about this happening for every single connection.

Heck just going to one website will spawn about 20 connections because of all the scripts, ads, images and so on it connects to and downloads. :wink:

So as you can see this is a double edged sword. While I prefer to have my performance at its best, I also know better then to go to crap sites and I dont fall for the fake ones. But what about users who dont know any better? Think about the users who fall for the fake ads and download crap and get their machines infected, or who think every ad or picture that pops up on a site must be the real deal.

So it is the same double edge sword as an antivirus. It doesnt protect against everything and there is a price to pay in the name of performance for protection. So it really comes down to the user themselves as there is no perfect answer that can be applied to every person.

Shane
Well said! I don't know what to say lol
But I agree it all comes down to the person and what they need if they want performance and know better than to go to a fake website they don't need this or if its a naive person and they believe every popup and spam out there is legit then they need this but it comes with a sacrafice of performance to the computer.
lol usually with my loyal customers i deep freeze their hard drives and set up anti theft software so if there computer becomes compromised they shutdown and every bit of malware is gone. once a month on the first wednesday night i use team viewer and then enter the OTP for deep freeze then do all the updates then after I'll refreeze it.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:09:34 AM »
The real problem is that no one, and I mean no one ever reads anything in front of them lol

So many of my customers dont read a thing and just click what is in front of them. This is why I always turn off the Windows UAC, it does nothing but teach my customers to click ok on a box without reading it. So now they do it to everything.

This is why so many phones and programs are just showing an icon or picture and no words. I hate it.

A story to go with this, a programmer was at a company meeting and people said they where getting an error, when he asked them what the error was everyone just said I dont know, it said blah blah. So this is happening in front of the boss and he was looking bad and he had no clue what the error they where getting was. So in the next update he changed every single error message to have a specific picture with that error.

At the next meeting when users said they had an error he asked them what the error was, this time they said, I don't know what it said, but there was a picture of a cake with it. The programmer then said, no problem I know what that error is and I will get it fixed.

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »
The real problem is that no one, and I mean no one ever reads anything in front of them lol

So many of my customers dont read a thing and just click what is in front of them. This is why I always turn off the Windows UAC, it does nothing but teach my customers to click ok on a box without reading it. So now they do it to everything.

This is why so many phones and programs are just showing an icon or picture and no words. I hate it.

A story to go with this, a programmer was at a company meeting and people said they where getting an error, when he asked them what the error was everyone just said I dont know, it said blah blah. So this is happening in front of the boss and he was looking bad and he had no clue what the error they where getting was. So in the next update he changed every single error message to have a specific picture with that error.

At the next meeting when users said they had an error he asked them what the error was, this time they said, I don't know what it said, but there was a picture of a cake with it. The programmer then said, no problem I know what that error is and I will get it fixed.

Shane
Yeah I know that feeling ha I've had customers send me pic messages with their smart phones because it was easier that way then telling me the error. I just tell them to let me know what there were doing when the error occured. 
Julian

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »
I prefer the screen shots, thats why I ask for them on here as well. I have had so many people tell me one thing and then the error message says something different. Plus it also lets me see something they might have missed :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Julian

• "Cat and Mum Guy"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »
True I get that as well. Frankly alot lol.
Julian