Author Topic: gmail alternative  (Read 7959 times)

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
gmail alternative
« on: June 29, 2015, 06:02:10 pm »
I am wondering if there is a good alternative to gmail. I am really honked off at them right now. They have "locked down" my account for no reason, and I can not log on unless I am on my mobile devices and it goes through Apple. I was sending a bunch of attachments to friends, when suddenly I was locked down. I have submitted my ticket to them, and they inform me that I am in good standing and I just need to "log on" again. But I keep getting the message:

To keep our systems healthy, Google has temporarily disabled your account. This primarily occurs when we detect unusually high levels of activity on your account. In most cases, it should take one hour to regain access. In rare cases, it can take up to 24 hours for access to be reinstated.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Here are some reasons why this could have happened:

Receiving, deleting, or downloading large amounts of mail via POP or IMAP in a short period of time.
    Sending a large number of messages to many people.
    Being logged into or synchronizing Gmail on many computers, clients, or mobile devices.
    Browser-related issues. If you find your browser continually reloading while attempting to access your Inbox, it’s probably a browser issue, and it may be necessary to clear your browser’s cache and cookies.
    Providing access to file-sharing, file-storage software, email analytics services, browser extensions, or third party software that automatically logs in to your Gmail account.

For more help troubleshooting this issue, click here. For Google Apps users, please contact your administrator if you have any further issues.

I can not get on to my email account. I like that I don't have to keep my emails on my hard drive but can access the email anywhere...WHEN IT WORKS!!!

Any suggestions? I am fed up with them. This has happened before. I will send another post with the reply they give me from my ipad...

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
Re: gmail alternative
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:05:00 pm »
So here is what they are telling me:

Hello Google user,

Thank you for reaching out about your difficulties accessing your Google account. We understand how frustrating that must be, and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

However, we're happy to say that we've got good news for you! We've looked into your account and it's still active, so you should be able to access it. May we ask you to please try one more time? Make sure that you correctly enter your username and password.

If you can't remember your password, go to this form and select "I don't know my password."

If you can't remember your username, but still have access to the email address you used to create your account, you can regain access to your account by selecting "I don't know my username."

If you are having other problems signing in, please go to this form to troubleshoot your issue.

Best,

The Google Accounts Team

However, I can' together on!! What should I do? Thanking you in advance.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 04:24:35 pm »
I've seen posts on forums about Thunderbird e-mail, but have no experience of it to recommend or not.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

You may have to Google for a link from your location as that one appears to be for the UK - I think.

Here is a list of 9 others you could have a look at. http://email.about.com/od/freeemailreviews/tp/free_email.htm

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 05:44:16 pm »
Thank you so much...I set up a yahoo email account today to start, but I will definitely look into these... :cheesy:

Offline jrjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 05:50:25 pm »
I have several email accounts. Google, Hotmail, Yahoo (don't use), several Road Runner accts. and my own domain. I channel all of these into Thunderbird. It's not hard to do and there's lots of online help. Pretty customizable as well. If you just want a different account, try Hotmail (Outlook) at outlook.com

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:04:05 pm »
I will look into it! Thank you soooo much!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 08:57:55 pm »
The problem with google is 99% of it is totally automated.

So in this case when you started sending a bunch of attachments it triggered the automated system. Mainly because virus makers and spammers make gmail accounts to send out spam or viruses, thus the attachments. Under normal conditions normal users dont send out to many attachments in a short period, but spammers and viruses do.

So that is most likely what happened. I use both yahoo and gmail. They are both free, and you get what you pay for :-)

Nothing is perfect, it just comes down to how much of a pain it is being.

Shane