Author Topic: WiFi Speed >>> SOLVED <<<  (Read 12894 times)

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
WiFi Speed >>> SOLVED <<<
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:18:57 pm »
Win 7 Pro x64. I was running cable on this machine. Recently moved into a condo until the house is ready in a couple of months. This place is setup for WiFi. Since the machine was setup for cable I had to adapt. After a couple of days research I settled on a Linksys AE2500 wireless N USB adapter. Ok, here's the spooky part. My iPad 3 clocks at speedtest.net at 15mbs down  & 1.5mbs up. My windows machine clocks in at 0.5 to 2.5mbs down & 1.0mbs up. Terrible. My browser times out before some pages fully load. Some times email client times out trying to fetch. I have no clue what to do. Any one with any ideas? As usual comments or flames welcome.
Tnx,
Dusty

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:27:59 pm by Dusty Van »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: WiFi Speed
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:23:22 pm »
I dont know the adapter, so I dont know how well it performs, but unless it just cant get a good signal then a lot of times the problem is driver or firewall related.

What version is the driver that is installed for it? Are you using the windows built in wifi manager or the one that comes with linksys (I prefer windows built in one)

Also how is the signal strength?

It is also possible it is just a compatibility problem with the router, I have had that happen with some adapters and different routers, a lot of times a router firmware update will fix it as they fix the bugs in them, for others I had to use a different adapter, but once I replaced my router with a newer, better model all the adapters worked fine.

So as you can see it can be a number of things that can cause the same problem, so now begins the process of elimination.  :wink:

Shane

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:12:32 pm »
Win 7 Pro x64. I was running cable on this machine. Recently moved into a condo until the house is ready in a couple of months. This place is setup for WiFi. Since the machine was setup for cable I had to adapt. After a couple of days research I settled on a Linksys AE2500 wireless N USB adapter. Ok, here's the spooky part. My iPad 3 clocks at speedtest.net at 15mbs down  & 1.5mbs up. My windows machine clocks in at 0.5 to 2.5mbs down & 1.0mbs up. Terrible. My browser times out before some pages fully load. Some times email client times out trying to fetch. I have no clue what to do. Any one with any ideas? As usual comments or flames welcome.
Tnx,
Dusty
link for your driver:
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148503
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:19:30 am »
Open a command prompt and enter netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid and that will show the signal strength between the computer and router.

You want to be at least in the upper 60s % but the higher value the better.

You haven't said if you are using a laptop or desktop, but repositioning can make quite a difference if other factors aren't the cause.

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:06:34 am »
Thanks for the reply. 1st, signal strength is 76%. Full report attached, other hosts edited out. Something I found this morning. In device manager, when I first installed the AE2500 there were 2 entries under network adapters:
Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
Linksys AE2500.
Then this morning these appeared:
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
TAP-Win32 Adapter V9
These last 2 could have been there for up to 3 days, I don't know. Could this be a source of conflicts?

The router is a Linksys Wireless-N150 Router so I got the Linksys USB adapter figuring I'd most likely avoid hardware conflicts using the same brand. As for the firmware update, I don't have access to the router, who ever set this up changed the IP address to keep idiots (like me. lol) out. The owner doesn't have even a clue what a router is.

Shane mentioned the Windows 7 driver. I did the initial install using the Linksys disk. I'd be willing to try the windows driver but where do I find/install that one?

What saith thee all ye of great knowledge?   

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 08:28:46 am »
Thanks for the reply. 1st, signal strength is 76%. Full report attached, other hosts edited out. Something I found this morning. In device manager, when I first installed the AE2500 there were 2 entries under network adapters:
Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
Linksys AE2500.
Then this morning these appeared:
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
TAP-Win32 Adapter V9
These last 2 could have been there for up to 3 days, I don't know. Could this be a source of conflicts?

The router is a Linksys Wireless-N150 Router so I got the Linksys USB adapter figuring I'd most likely avoid hardware conflicts using the same brand. As for the firmware update, I don't have access to the router, who ever set this up changed the IP address to keep idiots (like me. lol) out. The owner doesn't have even a clue what a router is.

Shane mentioned the Windows 7 driver. I did the initial install using the Linksys disk. I'd be willing to try the windows driver but where do I find/install that one?

What saith thee all ye of great knowledge?   
Just letting you know The post I made earlier had a link to your driver from the manufacture website and it was for the usb network device you describe in your original post. :smiley:
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:29:09 am »
This one double posted sorry...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:30:44 am by Julian »
Julian

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:16:07 am »
>>This one double posted sorry...

Oh, good! I figured it was my eyes going wonky after working on this Junk (read crap) for the last 48 hours. BTW I downloaded the driver from that link and when I try to update I just get a message that the driver is up to date. I considered removing and installing fresh but I'll wait to find more about the windows 7 driver.
Tnx for the reply(s) <wink>
Dusty

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:56:52 pm »
There's some quite strong competing signal strengths there.

It's best to post all of the SSIDs to see who is using what.

Is your SSID listed as Singer 308 going by the 76% signal strength you said you are getting ?

I'm not into USB adapters, but does it have it's own channel setting so that you could change to channel 11 ?

Unless you are using a VPN, you don't need the MS Virtual Miniport Adapters and yes, they can cause problems.

Run a command prompt as an admin and enter-

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

exit

and reboot.

If you ever want to switch them back on to use a VPN, just change disallow to allow.

Redo a speed test after making the suggested changes.

The Intel Gigabit is your Ethernet adapter.

That TAP-Win32 Adapter is something to do with VPN as well and may well have been installed along with the USB Adapter drivers, although Julian may know more about those adapters.

You could try right clicking on them and select Disable to see if that has any effect.

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 04:41:16 pm »
Ran command you specified with virtually no changes in speed.

Yes the router in use is singer308. I don't have access to any of the others. I can't play with the router. whoever set it up changed the IP to keep the idiots (like me <grin>) out. The VPN I use seldom is PIA. I'll delete all of those VPN adapters. They'll reinstall if I ever light up PIA again.

Just on a whim, I installed Chrome but had the same speed issues. I think my next move will be to replace the router with my own that's been in storage just to compare notes. Mine is closer to the top of the line Linksys E series than the one here, who knows. The thing that bothers ne the most is with the same router my iPad 3 gets 15mbs vs the 2.5mbs I get with my PC.

I have no clue (obviously) but I was getting DNS errors so I did a DNS flush. Then MS diags said the default gateway was missing but MS Fixit solved that (I assume)
Tnx,
Dusty
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:45:03 pm by Dusty Van »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 05:23:37 pm »
Have you considered the USB compatibility aspect as suggested by Shane and perhaps RMAing it for something else ?

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 05:55:49 pm »
Have you considered the USB compatibility aspect as suggested by Shane and perhaps RMAing it for something else ?

I certainly could try that. I bought that particular adapter because the router is the same brand (Linksys) and I figured that it would be much less likely to encounter hardware conflicts if everything came from the same manufacturer.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 08:05:24 pm »
Usb wireless nics (nic= network interface card)blew up in the market because the average user could just plug it in and go personally I dislike them packets drop left and right and just because it says it can achieve speeds that are fast you have a bottle neck at the port. If this computer has a pci slot I would recommend a card for that. I love linksys they are a great brand but usb nics in my opinion are still in their infancy stages.
Julian

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 08:20:04 pm »
I appreciate the opinion. The Only reason I went USB was we're only in this condo situation for a month or two (they say, lol) it was easy set up and I didn't have to have a card installed by my neighborhood tech. My lady's using her laptop just a few feet from mine and she's clocking at 8.5mbs. I never expected to be envious if an 8.5mbs connection on a 15mbs signal, but I a. AND she's laughing at me. Go ahead and laugh girl. Remember that new laptop you wanted for your birthday this month? Keep laughing sweetheart <grin>

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:13:13 pm »
Have you tried it in a different port?
Julian

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
Re: WiFi Speed >>> SOLVED <<<
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 07:26:53 pm »
There used to be an old saying way back when I started in IT in the late 70's "Look where it could never be".  This condo we just moved in to while waiting for our house is just about the right size for a Hobbit family. Therefore, out of necessity the computer is in a place where my wheelchair rubs both the bed and the computer face. I never even thought about the USB port on the front of the computer, I'd knock the adapter and break it off. Guess what. I went to storage and dug out one of those old USB extender wires. Hooked it up to one of the ports at the front of the computer. Yup, 14.8mbs down & 1.5mbs up.
Thank you all so very much, I learned a lot over the last few days. Sorry I wasted your collective time.
Tnx,
Dusty

Offline Dusty Van

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 08:22:13 pm »
There was a saying, when I started in IT back in the late 70’s. Hell, they didn’t even call it IT yet. “Look where it couldn’t possibly be”. The condo we’re living in till the house is ready is just about the right size for a hobbit family. I can get my wheelchair between the bed and the computer but just barely. If I plugged the WiFi adapter into the front of the computer I’d break the adapter off. I went to one of our storage lockers and dug up an old USB extender wire. Now, I’m clocking in at 16.6mbs down &1.5mbs up. I’ve learned a lot the last few days, thank you. Sorry to have wasted your collective time.
Tnx,
Dusty

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 08:37:55 pm »
It is never a waste if I can make every post solved it makes me feel good I want everyone to come to this forum with computer problems so we can help fix their computer problems. No matter how major or small. I want people to feel that if they come here they know they have support from a community of techs from all over the world.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 12:43:35 pm »
Great job everyone, nothing better to me than when I come back to a thread and my fellow users and techs got it all worked out. Outstanding everyone :-)

Shane