Author Topic: Can anyone tell me what's going on here?  (Read 9378 times)

Offline tewjax

• View Profile
Can anyone tell me what's going on here?
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:26:32 am »
My issue is quite strange.  I have an ASUS laptop using Win 7 Home and Office 2007.  Several months ago I created a document using Word 2007.  I could not save it, instead getting the message "Can I save this file.docx There are no more files."  Then I discovered the same on an Excel 2007 spreadsheet "Book1.xlsx There are no more files."  So I tried to save in ,pdf format - "Book1.pdf  There are no more files."  I have uninstalled & reinstalled Office 2007 - no change.  I have tried Windows Repair - no change.  I did find that if I right click on my desktop, choose new and create a Word or Excel file, it will then save and I can "rename" it but I still can't convert to .pdf and save?

Thank you for any ideas and hopefully solutions?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:55:36 pm by tewjax »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me what's going on here?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:18:31 am »
Hi, I hope you would have tried the Office diagnostics before presenting the query.
                         Please go to search. Type cmd.Right click cmd and run as administrator. There you type chkdsk /f/r. This will fix any file system error in the Hard disk.Please check whether the problem recurs.
                              Normally this kind of behaviour may be due to presence of third party application and their codes.
                                    If the above does not clears, then there is possibility of virus or unwanted software in your system. Try to download Junk ware removal tool and run it . It will fix most unwanted PUPs. Malware bytes will clear the malwares.
                                           Could you open a xlsx in your system?

The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline tewjax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 02:54:54 pm »
I can view. print or modify any Word or Excel document created prior to this issue occurring.  I simply cannot create and save NEW documents.  I have run check disc with no file issues found and Office diagnostics.  Malwarebytes shows no malware, Comodo Internet Security Pro picks up no virus?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 10:00:12 pm »
Hi, Did you add any add ons or any program like pdf reader other than adobe.
                          If there is nothing wrong and even after diagnostic tool , it means it is either affected by macro virus which will create its code and delete the original format of save as box.
                                    try this
Choose the Run option from the Start menu. This displays the Run dialog box.
In the Open box enter the name regedit.
Click on OK. This starts the Regedit program.
select the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/12.0/Word key.
[/b right click the Word Folder, there it is key, and select delete.
Click on Yes. The selected key is deleted.
Close the Registry Editor.Start the word. If it solves the problem, let me know. If it solves, try this for excel, there you have to select Excel Key totally and delete to restore to default settings.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:24:43 am »
Hi, By deleting word key in registry would not give any trouble. If you think otherwise, change the name to word.old and close. It will auto create the word folder in the registry and it will be a default settings .
                                   You please see the presence of any macto in the word template or excel template. This template would give a guess, whether there is any add on as macro is availabe in the template. If any exist. If you think , just disable it and start word by double clicking

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:42:02 pm »
Do you use a program called "folder lock" followed by a number? If you do try uninstalling it and see if it fixes
Julian

Offline tewjax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:54:34 pm »
Jraju - Thank you for your regedit suggestion, unfortunately it did not work.
Julian - I've never heard of "folder lock".  Checked my laptop but do not find a program by that name.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 06:00:31 pm »
do you have any encryption program?
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 04:47:35 am »
Hi, did you check whether you are having macros in the template. When you open word, it opens with word template. If suppose, some third party add on or macro code is there, then you bound to get those programmed results instead of regular word template.
                           Go to top icon left click to get word options along side with file menus like save as etc. You click word options to open a new page. There you go to Save tab in the left pane and click it. Please check the file to be saved format as default as a different . I am enclosing a default save options page in jpg format for your easy reference. If it is as same this ,  leave it and report and if not, correct it.
                                  If it does not fix, then click the add on tab. You will be shown com.add on in your computer in ms office. Please see the top to see the active add ons. Leave alone inactive add ons. If you find any add on that is not trustable, just select it and disable. If there is outlook add on, which is default , leave it. If you find any third party add on just select to remove it or disable it. Then check. I think that there is a change in the save options in word causing you this. Try and report quickcly so that we can go from there

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 09:10:17 pm »
I had this happen to a customer of mine with outlook and he couldnt open or save any attachments. That is because outlook and word and so on, save the files into a temp folder, such as file001 and then file002 and so on, and when it hits 199 or 099 you start to get the error.

The trick is to empty out those temp files. So you need to empty these folders

"C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.MSO"
"C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Word"
"C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook"
"C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Excel"

Replace "Shane" with your username, I am grabbing these paths from my system. These folders are very hidden, so they wont show up in explorer, so you have to put them in the address bar in explorer to get to them.

Shane