Author Topic: ntdll.dll error  (Read 8619 times)

Offline PaulTECH

• View Profile
ntdll.dll error
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:30 pm »
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a Windows XP Media Center Edition computer that was infected.  I have it close to fixed but I get these errors:
>
> svchost.exe - Application Error
> The instruction at "0x7c9100eB" referenced memroy at "0x0DD00010". The memory could not be "read".
>
> windows2
> Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
> szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName ntdll.dll szModVer : 5.1.2600.6055
> NDP1.1sp1-KB2656370-XBS
>
> Error Signature
> EventType : visualstudio7x80update P1 : msiexec.exe P2: 1.D.1701.5039 P3 kb2656353
>
> AND
>
> This same machine has an Microsoft microsoft tun miniport adapter 2 problem in the Device List
>
> This evening I was going through my bag of tricks and found tweaking.com and it did not seem like a coincidence.  Maybe you have an insight into this?  I've made a complete backup image of the drive so no worries.  I had planned to do a "Repair Install" but maybe you have an easier solution especially since I do not have a Win XP media Center SP3 source to use.  (I located a torrent download but do not feel comfortable using it.)  I do have the OS key for the computer.
>
> After a few boots it will boot without the error but it returns and once you click the Windows to close the "Error Windows" the Computer stalls.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Here was your reply in case it helps someone else.  Any additional input is helpful (I did run tdtdsskiller but I'll check the combofix output).  If I need to replace those files I only have access to a torrent download of XP Media Center 2005 SP3 and I'm leary since I do not have the source.  Any chance someone has a iso I could use?  And any other input is welcomed and much appreciated!

"Post in the forums and I will help you there :-)

Couple of things as well, did you scan the system with tdsskiller.exe and combofix.exe yet?

I have seen an infection in XP that also replaces the explorer.exe winlogon.exe svchost.exe and serial.sys

When I ran combofix on the infected machine the log showed that those files where not correct. But replacing them in windows was impossible as the virus from one of the other infected files would replace any new files.

So I grabbed those files off a clean machine, booted up a ubuntu live cd and replaced those files.

Anyways, post int e forums and we will go from there :-)

--
Take care.
Shane

www.pcwintech.com
www.tweaking.com"

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: ntdll.dll error
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:21 am »
Let me know what Combofix shows int he log.

I have a copy of any of the infected files you need to replace :wink:

Shane