Author Topic: Nice Program  (Read 10276 times)

Offline dougalco

• View Profile
Nice Program
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:48:07 pm »
Thanks for all the work you are doing on this. I think it is important, but, as you say. it is not perfect. I have had problems with my computer, six devices are not loading (exclamation marks), including the CD drive, monitor, processor, HD audio etc. I have been down this road with a MS tech and nothing is fixed yet. They did suggest your software, and some others. This includes trying several repair installs as well. I got some incompatibility message that I don;t exactly remember, SFC says wdf0100.sys is corrupt and couldn't be fixed. I have replaced it with files from a good MS ISO, but it did not fix the problems. I posted to Windows 7 Forum (Nothing Works) asking for a fix as you are working on. Something that would actually fix the problems without having to re-install Win 7, and got a lot of advice, but no real solution. At this point, I am looking at a total re-install. We will see. I am shocked that MS does not supply something themselves, but WTF. I hope you get this thing developed into something that really work. Good luck. If you do, it could make a fortune.

Best,
Dougal

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Program
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:58:54 pm »
Thanks.  :cheesy:

I try to make it better as I go along.

Sometimes Windows gets so deep corruption in the registry that not even a repair install will help since the corruption is still there (One of the reasons why I made my new registry backup program). A fresh reinstall is the only way to rebuild the registry from scratch.

Thats the part that will make my Windows repair always been less than a fresh reinstall. All those registry keys!

Keep in mind that if you do a fresh install dont format the drive. Windows 7 setup will move all the profiles, windows folder and programs folder to a Windows.old folder.

Once you have it reinstalled you can grab your profile info and just copy it back over. But even with that make sure to have a backup anyways :wink:

Shane

Offline dougalco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:42:30 pm »
Thanks for that. Everyone says to reformat, but I will try without first. "Ve vill" see as my old French professor used to say. Thanks for all the good work.

Dougal

Offline dougalco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 04:22:42 am »
So is it likely that the problems with the wdf0100 file are in the registry and not the file itself?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:10:11 am »
Right, system files are easy to replace. But many of them, when you register them write their info to the registry. And in the registry you have services, drivers, every core in windows with settings in the registry that point to other parts of the registry.

Windows 7 I think has over 1 million reg keys.

When you do a repair install it is just doing an upgrade to the same version. Well a lot of those reg keys are kept as it is an upgrade. So if the corruption is in those keys the repair install wont work.

Only way to get it to work is a fresh install, which is where the registry is rebuilt from scratch.

The SFC stores info in the reg and inf files I have found SFC is not always correct.

There is a trick I have done that might help you avoid a reinstall.

Go into safe mode, go to the device manager.

Under "View" click on show hidden devices.

In this mode you will see all old hardware ever hooked into the system, they will be dimmed out a little.

Go into every category and start removing all the dimmed out devices. (Right click and uninstall) and remove any that have an exclamation as well.

The drivers and regkeys for them are screwed in the system. I had a user on XP where is cd rom drives wouldn't work and some other things. When I did this trick it took me about 20 min but he had so many dimmed out devices that it took a while.

When I removed them all from safe mode and rebooted Windows detected what it needed and everything stared working. Uninstalling the devices removed the reg keys for them and luckly it cleared the corruption.

It is worth a shot :wink:

Shane

Offline dougalco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »
Definitely worth a shot, but nothing comes up for me except Non PNP devices, storage devices and shadow copies. Nothing greyed out. Oh well.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 12:52:54 pm »
You have to expand each section and check :wink:

Shane

Offline dougalco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:41:54 pm »
Yes. I did expand each section. Nothing really new there, except what I said. You can see (part of it) attached.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 01:44:46 pm »
Uninstall the dvd drive in safe mode from there as well.

After it is uninstalled, and before you reboot run this as well
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/repair_cd_dvd_missing_not_working.html

And remove any other devices in safe mode with the exclamation.

If it still doesn't work then the problem is deeper and you will need to do the reinstall.

And I should move this thread out of the feedback section now lol

Shane